Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favourite Bill Murray film?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What is your favourite Bill Murray film?

I think maybe I started a similar thread a few years ago, but I forget and have been downloading loads of Bill Murray films along with my Horizon documentaries recently. So, a very important question...what is your favourite Bill Murray film?

Personally I think it's a tie between Groundhog Day and Lost in translation. I love the former because it is Murray at his most sardonic but asks the important question, how would you live your life if every day were the same? It's an important question. Lost in translation I like because of its use of a foreign situation, but also its sense of existentialism. These are basically lost characters and they are just looking for something to relate to. The humour and the pathos works very well IMO.

So Garfield aside, what are your favourite Murray films?
    Last edited by Gandalf; 12-11-2010 at 04:41 PM.

ICB Guest

Default Re: What is your favourite Bill Murray film?

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I think maybe I started a similar thread a few years ago, but I forget and have been downloading loads of Bill Murray films along with my Horizon documentaries recently. So, a very important question...what is your favourite Bill Murray film?

Personally I think it's a tie between Groundhog Day and Lost in translation. I love the former because it is Murray at his most sardonic but asks the important question, how would you live your life if every day were the same? It's an important question. Lost in translation I like because of it's use of a foreign situation, but also its sense of existentialism. These are basically lost characters and they are just looking for something to relate to. The humour and the pathos works very well IMO.

I haven't seen alot of his films, but i always found him hilarious in Kingpin.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Personally I think it's a tie between Groundhog Day and Lost in translation. I love the former because it is Murray at his most sardonic but asks the important question, how would you live your life if every day were the same? It's an important question. Lost in translation I like because of it's use of a foreign situation, but also its sense of existentialism. These are basically lost characters and they are just looking for something to relate to. The humour and the pathos works very well IMO.

Darn it, you start a new thread and it then tells you that you have started it already. It would be so much better if you could know if the thread had been started before you started it. Regardless, the site is ever evolving and a new Bill Murray thread always has validity. Plus I already said that a Bill Mirray thread had likely been already created.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ground Hog day is brilliant and no one else could play that role better. He became God and shagged women which is what most of would do with that much power.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ghostbusters for me. The cartoon was a big part of my childhood and I have always love the films with Murray in them, just fond memories.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

I haven't seen alot of his films, but i always found him hilarious in Kingpin.
    Murray stole that film.

What was that Zombie film I saw recently? Zombieland...that was it. You could erase the entire film. The five minutes of Bill Murray actually gave it a score above 7. Otherwise it is just another annoying zombie film, but the prescence of Bill Murray made it an okay film to watch.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Ghostbusters for me. The cartoon was a big part of my childhood and I have always love the films with Murray in them, just fond memories.
    They are supposedly making a Ghostbusters 3 and it seems that it is going to be a reboot with Venkman being nothing more than a ghost. I would much rather they not bother. It would be great to have Murray going through it all one more time and for us to all find him funny, but it's likely we aren't going to see it as we would like and will have some young muppet try and play the sardonic role. You can't play a role like that though, Murray has the diction and the timing to make fair lines sound hilarious. Ghostbusters 3 will be crap.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Ground Hog day is brilliant and no one else could play that role better. He became God and shagged women which is what most of would do with that much power.
    Haha, you perv!

I agree that it is a brilliant film. It really matches the sardonic, quick line Murray and combines it with a little pathos for the first time. In its own way it asks a lot of pertinent philosophical questions and sure you could shag for the rest of your life, but ultimately I like that life boils down to a little bit more.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does Zombieland count?
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bill is one of those guys who I don't really have a favourite film for him - just a host of classic scenes in various films .

If I had to pick from all his films I would say Ghostbusters is my favourite - though he has had funnier scenes in other films for me . And Groundhog Day is overall funnier

Ones that always tickle me

Life Acquatic - "Ok I'll fight it but I won't kill it"

Ghostbusters - "Nice shooting Tex" and "bye...I'm gonna miss him" when in mayors office

Zombieland - "Garfield maybe"

Scrooged - loads !

Bill is a comedy genius without being laugh out loud funny
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Forgot aboout Ghostbusters and Scrouged they were good.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Darn it, you start a new thread and it then tells you that you have started it already. It would be so much better if you could know if the thread had been started before you started it. Regardless, the site is ever evolving and a new Bill Murray thread always has validity. Plus I already said that a Bill Mirray thread had likely been already created.
    Ahh you're back;
    Nice work.

I think its Bills best work too.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

El Kabong Guest

Caddyshack? Stripes? Meatballs? Rushmore? Wild Things? The Man Who Knew Too Little? What About Bob?

Why are these movies not being mentioned?

I know 'The Man Who Knew Too Little' was a bomb, but Bill Murray was funny as hell in that

"NO YOU MAY NOT!"....HAHAHAHA

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Caddyshack baby, superb performance. The turd eating scene is probably the funniest thing I've ever witnessed in cinema.

The man is a genuine legend, superb in Everything! I know lost in Translation got the plaudits but he's best in comedy IMO, Zombieland was my most recent favorite

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, Scrooged is great, I grew up in total adoration of that film. And for sure Lyle, Murray is great in those other films too. He knows how to deliver a line better than any other comedic actor.

Thread Information