0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Micky Ward movie

Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch View Post
    Who the hell was that black guy that 'had twenty pounds' on him

Looks great though. I'll make my mates watch it when it comes out on DVD and when they ask me who he was, I'll show em the Augustus fight

Then I'll show em the Gatti fight
    I was thinking who could have outweighed him by that much as well. In the previews the guy looks like a light heavyweight. I am stumped.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    Who the hell was that black guy that 'had twenty pounds' on him

Looks great though. I'll make my mates watch it when it comes out on DVD and when they ask me who he was, I'll show em the Augustus fight

I was thinking who could have outweighed him by that much as well. In the previews the guy looks like a light heavyweight. I am stumped.
    I think I'll be watching the film just to find out!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It has great reviews, I think I may go this Friday with my significant other to view it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's probably not enough time in the movie to go through his life story and at the same time display his battles with Gatti while showing it's significance in the boxing world. As boxing fans, we want movies to show certain events but if it doesn't fit in with the storyline, people making a movie won't include it.

For example, when they made "Ali" with Will Smith and didn't include the rest of the trilogy with Frazier or him winning the title for a third time I understood because it was done properly in the movie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    There's probably not enough time in the movie to go through his life story and at the same time display his battles with Gatti while showing it's significance in the boxing world. As boxing fans, we want movies to show certain events but if it doesn't fit in with the storyline, people making a movie won't include it.

For example, when they made "Ali" with Will Smith and didn't include the rest of the trilogy with Frazier or him winning the title for a third time I understood because it was done properly in the movie.
    The thing is the Gatti trilogy is probably the most important thing in Micky Wards career! It made him something of a superstar.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

The thing is the Gatti trilogy is probably the most important thing in Micky Wards career! It made him something of a superstar.
    I feel the same way. Whereas a fighter like Ali has too many pivotal moments inside the ring and outside of it.

Ward without those 3 great fights with Gatti, wouldn't be that known or at all besides a few hardcore boxing fans. But to the casual boxing fans and hardcore fans he's known for those fights.

Ask yourself this, would Ward be known for anything else if not for the Gatti fights?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

I feel the same way. Whereas a fighter like Ali has too many pivotal moments inside the ring and outside of it.

Ward without those 3 great fights with Gatti, wouldn't be that known or at all besides a few hardcore boxing fans. But to the casual boxing fans and hardcore fans he's known for those fights.

Ask yourself this, would Ward be known for anything else if not for the Gatti fights?
    His fight with Burton/ Augustus was FOTY, i think.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chances are good the movie is a dramatization of the events in his life that led to him being the fighter that gave us the trilogy with Gatti. It's probably more of a life story than a biographical look at his career.

And my wife is excited to see it - that never happens with a boxing movie.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bcollins View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Mark Wahlberg has something to do with that.

By the end of the film you'll be shouting ''For the love of God, will you please... Please! Put a shirt on!''
    Hidden Content

El Kabong Guest

The movie climaxing with the WBU title fight is fitting. #1 Ward had to scrap hard to achieve that much in boxing #2 Aside from the Gatti fights it was probably the highlight of his career. He's always a fan favorite, but typically fan favorites are flawed.

He was a very average fighter with loads of heart and the smallest little things in his career just competing with guys as skilled as Emanuel Augustus and Zab Judah and Arturo Gatti was a major success
    Last edited by El Kabong; 12-15-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm pretty sure that Mark Wahlberg has something to do with that.

By the end of the film you'll be shouting ''For the love of God, will you please... Please! Put a shirt on!''
    No doubt about it - I'll have to bring an extra towel to mop up the drool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just read in SI on Mickey commenting on them not having the trilogy with Gatti. "I was a little surprised they weren't. The Gatti fight's took me to another level. Maybe they can be in the sequel." As for the film itself he says it's pretty spot on except for his brother jumping out of windows everytime someone knocked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chances are good the movie is a dramatization of the events in his life that led to him being the fighter that gave us the trilogy with Gatti. It's probably more of a life story than a biographical look at his career.

Bulldog and Tszyu,

This about sums up how I feel about their choice in the fights being shown

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Its a boxing movie, of course we're all going to see it, I watched Gladiator for fucks sake

Meant to be a really good film, obviously certain things will be glossed over.
    The Boxing movie? Ah man that's a bad movie. And I mean bad, in a bad way

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually glad they 'dumbed' it down and didn't get stuck on Gatti trilogy. Like most flicks certainly not going for historical ring accuracy but more so what its lead actor can deliver,drama and sub plots. Gatti was larger then life and in way Ward earned right to be seperated from it in those battles. He essentially had two seperate boxing careers entirely did Ward. From obscure co feature stepping stone journey man on ESPN to break out high calibur preformer. In hindsight he had zero business losing to a Meyers, Martin etc. Gatti fights made him 'known'...but they didnt make him the fighter he was. Ward was one of the better body punchers over the last number of years. The WBU trinket is crap, and frankly he was screwed in fight with Phillips, Leija opted out and limped into Kostya fight too.

Thread Information