Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sergio Martinez vs Andy Lee

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Sergio Martinez vs Andy Lee

So how does this fight go? I must say although I'm a fan of Andy, I haven't seen him progress much since his loss to Vera. Andy hasn't shown much power or defense since then either as can be seen in the Gibbs fight where #1 Gibbs (not known for his chin) took everything Lee threw and #2 Lee ate a ton of right hands. On the other hand Sergio has shown more power recently and has always had good defense.

I think we're looking at a fight that Sergio should dominate but I am hoping for Andy Lee to find his potential and at LEAST up his profile, maybe hurt Sergio, maybe go the distance and win a few rounds, just don't get shut out or blown out.

El Kabong Guest

Does anyone see anything in Lee's game that could trouble Sergio? I know being a southpaw usually screws up another southpaw but Sergio handled PWilliams fairly easily in the rematch and held his own in the first fight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs Andy Lee

Lee has a tremendous potential and has the frame that Manny likes to train: Tall with a good reach. I think that he could have all the potential to trouble Sergio but he's too green yet for it.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andy Lee is still waiting to live up to his potential.

He has similarities physically to Paul williams, but is far more cautious, hesitant even.

All I know is Lee went after this fight, with confidence.

El Kabong Guest

I hope that being more schooled as a boxer will help Andy where not having that hurt Paul Williams. I will say this, Andy does look very stiff and robotic at times.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd definitely go along with thatcstatement and I often wpndervif maintaining 160lbs at over 6'2" inhibits or depletes his energy resources.

Martinez it has to be said seems to be arriving at his prime.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spelling frightfully bad, forgive me replying with the phone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was really confident Lee would be a world champ when he turned pro, recently not so sure though, he has good skills but hasn't really improved to the next stage. This jump in competition I think will be way to much for him, he hasn't beaten anyone of note and will be out of there in 6 or less...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jeep Cherokee is a good vehicle but not sure I'd enter it in Nascar.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Outside of the savage KO Sergio laid on Williams, I don't think there's much in his past that shows me that Andy Lee is in too much danger.

Andy Lee's level of competition is poor, but he's young, Sergio is 35, stranger things have happened. I just want Andy to give a good account of himself, I think he can last 12 with Sergio, I doubt Andy wins, but I'm hoping they (Andy and Manny) find a way to get it done.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also was pretty surprised to find out kelly is only 28, I was sure he was like 27 when he fought for the title, so he's definitely got the time as long as he straightens out his life and doesn't fall into a complete downward spiral.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Outside of the savage KO Sergio laid on Williams, I don't think there's much in his past that shows me that Andy Lee is in too much danger.

Andy Lee's level of competition is poor, but he's young, Sergio is 35, stranger things have happened. I just want Andy to give a good account of himself, I think he can last 12 with Sergio, I doubt Andy wins, but I'm hoping they (Andy and Manny) find a way to get it done.
    I don't think it's a bad move either. Lee has the potential and has to step it up sonner or later so they can find out if it is just potential or if he has what it takes. Andre Ward didn't do alot before Miranda or Kessler but many now consider him to be the best in the Super-Middleweight division. I think it'll be a step too soon, but I thought that with Ward against Kessler and I couldn't have been more wrong.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post

Thats why didn't go with monster truck rally. Not sure Martinez would savage him so much as really outclass him. Think Lee gets peppered & smacked up late ala Pavlik but at least Kelly had that supposed magic eraser in power. It's really a have nothing to lose fight for Lee. Alot of guys need this, stop building, waiting, whistling and throw them in, sink or swim type fight. Martinez also has to wonder what does he gain except a network date. At 35 make every outing a biggie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually like to see some young prospects tested and maybe get a few losses before initial success, boxing needs to get away from the one loss is the end of your career in the prime time, mentality its been in. I mean Paul Williams just got knocked out in the first round, about 7 years ago when it was all about undefeated streaks we wouldnt see Williams back for a while. But we may see him back in a few months and for a title, that's what boxing is becoming, it's just gonna be a great trilogy, and a knockout in 2 isn't going to end that he is a world title challenger and champion at 154 still I believe.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I actually like to see some young prospects tested and maybe get a few losses before initial success, boxing needs to get away from the one loss is the end of your career in the prime time, mentality its been in. I mean Paul Williams just got knocked out in the first round, about 7 years ago when it was all about undefeated streaks we wouldnt see Williams back for a while. But we may see him back in a few months and for a title, that's what boxing is becoming, it's just gonna be a great trilogy, and a knockout in 2 isn't going to end that he is a world title challenger and champion at 154 still I believe.
    I agree with your premise but Paul is going to have to show me he's fully recovered from that KO. A KO like that can really change a fighter....I hope he comes back strong as ever but I have my doubts until I see him do it.

Thread Information