Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Erik Morales close for April 16th 2011, MGM Grand

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Erik Morales close for April 16th 2011, MGM Grand

This fight is wrong on all levels. JMM is still world class Morales is déclassé at this stage...
    I'm hoping Morales doesn't get seriously hurt and retires but seriously I doubt it. Fighters like Morales have too much heart and need to be protected from themselves. I can't believe he's being licensed to take this beating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Erik Morales close for April 16th 2011, MGM Grand

This fight should make a crap load of money and put fanny's ins seats due to the zealous Mexican following that will be turning out and tuning in... Nothing more nothing less..

100% business decesion.

All those groaning about this fight, tell me the last time JMM took a gimme fight? (The sound of crickets will be pretty long on that question)

JMM deserves this fight and this pay day

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    This fight should make a crap load of money and put fanny's ins seats due to the zealous Mexican following that will be turning out and tuning in... Nothing more nothing less..

100% business decesion.

All those groaning about this fight, tell me the last time JMM took a gimme fight? (The sound of crickets will be pretty long on that question)

Did Margarito deserve a final payday is an obvious comparison to make and yet Manny thought he did.

At least Morales is a former great with no tainted scandals on his hands and nothing less than a will to fight.

I am not in favour of it though as I don't want to see Morales hurt. But if anyone deserves a payday, it is Marquez and shame on Manny for avoiding his toughest opponent.

That way the fans could have got something and the fighters too. All we have here is current fighters beating up on nostalgic past fighters. No fun in that really.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The words Marquez and chicken shit have never occupied the same room. 135-140 it dont matter...Morales legs wont keep up with his heart, he'll be stationary.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

100% business decesion.

You have an irish flag but your are obviously not from Ireland or Britain because fanny means something different over here

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a crappy fight. I agree with everyone on this thread that is posting as much. I don't agree that Marquez hasn't taken a gimme in a while. I thought his last two opponents were pretty much gimme fights. Kastidis is a warrior and he fought Marquez after losing his brother, but outside of Sydney, no one in their right mind thought he had a chance in that fight. And Diaz v. Marquez II was a completely gimme fight to get Marquez back in the win column after being dominated from pillar to pillar by Floyd. To me, this is his third fight where he is fighting an opponent that has little to no chance at winning and where he isn't challenging himself. There were many other fights that I would have rather seen him take. Soooo many. Berto, Bradley/Alexander, Khan, Soto, Rios, and I mean that is just the beginning.

All that said, it's not like Marquez hasn't earned this. He has. Same way Pacquiao and Cotto have. If they want to take uncompetitive fights simply for the money, they've earned it. But, it doesn't mean we have to be happy about their choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    The words Marquez and chicken shit have never occupied the same room. 135-140 it dont matter...Morales legs wont keep up with his heart, he'll be stationary.
    It matters to Morales. He hasn't fought below 140 in his last 3 fights. He does not need an additional disadvantage to what he already has.

I think this fight may be at JMM's terms since Morales should be the one desperate for this fight. Even at 140, I think Marquez wins this one so why not go for the higher weight to test himself and bring himself closer to a fight with Manny. If this fight is at 135, then it appears that he has relinguish his desire for that third fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by InTheNeutralCorner View Post
    It matters to Morales. He hasn't fought below 140 in his last 3 fights. He does not need an additional disadvantage to what he already has.

I think this fight may be at JMM's terms since Morales should be the one desperate for this fight. Even at 140, I think Marquez wins this one so why not go for the higher weight to test himself and bring himself closer to a fight with Manny. If this fight is at 135, then it appears that he has relinguish his desire for that third fight.
    Jmms a nice guy but it's not about doing favors for your opponent. 5 lbs either way on a past it fighter is lipstick on a pig. Marquez was out of his weight class and at least out weighed by 8-10 lbs unofficialy vs Mayweather. How much more testing does he need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jmms a nice guy but it's not about doing favors for your opponent. 5 lbs either way on a past it fighter is lipstick on a pig. Marquez was out of his weight class and at least out weighed by 8-10 lbs unofficialy vs Mayweather. How much more testing does he need.
    I don't see the fight at 140 as JMM doing Erik a favor but rather giving himself the chance for a fight with Pacquiao. If he gave up on making that third fight, then he can fight at 135 anytime he wants.

The fight with Mayweather is above 140 and we know that he looked crap in that fight. We haven't seen him fight between 136 - 140 hence it would help if he gets tested in that weight division.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was outclassed by the BEST fighter in the world. That does not mean he can't be effective above at 147 or moreso at 140. Right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

100% business decesion.

You have an irish flag but your are obviously not from Ireland or Britain because fanny means something different over here
    Haha I'm of Irish descent and was born in the US, so yes I probably gave you guys a laugh

Fanny means A$$ over here
    Last edited by JT Rock; 01-04-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Good points, Fightnews themselves don't mention any weight. Maybe this is Marquez testing out 140 then? Unless Morales has decided to train properly for a fight of this magnitude and move down to 135? All quite curious.
    Just to confirm this is at 135...

Juan Manuel Marquez-Erik Morales is Close For April 16 - Boxing News

They mention Morales will be able to challenge for a 4th divisional title. Unless someone is vacating a 140lb belt, then this must be at 135lbs.

Just to touch on what ElTerrible & GAME are talking about, I've had this conversation with ElTerrible quite a few times, and I had Morales a 9 rounds to 3 winner plus the knockdown in that fight with David Diaz. It wasn't even remotely close. That is truly one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.
    The fight will take place at 140. And it will most likely be for the WBC Junior Welterweight title. Making the winner the first Mexican 4 division champion. Without the title this fight is looked as a mismatch. It'll do okay cuz both fighters have there loyal followers. But it be mostly frowned on. With the title on the line this fight is history in the making and becomes huge. It'll still be frowned on. But nobody will care.

Devon Alexander is the current title holder. But that won't be for long. The stripping of his title is happening right before our eyes. Tim Bradley has done his part to insure that. He's refused to pay the WBC any sanctioning fees. So if he wins he doesn't become the WBC champion. And Alexander can't keep the title cuz he lost. So it becomes vacant. The WBC pretty much wants it's champion Alerxander to lose. It makes everything easier. Bradley doesn't want the belt. Alexander can't keep it. The WBC is free to hand it to the Morales-Marquez winner with little to no backlash. That's plan A. There's also a plan B. In case Devon wins. If Alexander comes out on top of this unification fight, the WBC will demand Alexander defend against the number one contender. Which is Ajose Olusegun. Alexander will have 90 days to do so. Chances are just about none Alexander will jump back into to the ring so quickly after the Bradley fight. Especially not for a Ajose Olusegun. That will lead to either Alexander giving up the belt himself or the WBC stripping him after 90 days for not fighting Olusegun. Either way the WBC Junior Welterweight title will be on the line for Marquez-Morales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    It'll do okay cuz both fighters have there loyal followers.

Morales have his loyal followers Marquez doesnt. But it should be enough to make money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miron_lang View Post

Morales have his loyal followers Marquez doesnt. But it should be enough to make money.
    Despite what you think, i think Marquez does have loyal followers.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miron_lang View Post

Yes I'm sure from the Philippines you can gauge every fighters following, right? Not bad off a 10 inch black and white TV.

Thread Information