Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Right Cross

I know that this thread exists more than once, so i want to apologise myself(if possible) in advance

It makes me so much impression when i am watching a boxing match which ends with KO that there are mosly to types of ending. The first one is throwing a combination and hopping to get lucky or the right cross. Throwing combos all the time for me is sign of someone who does not know what he is doing and as Archie Moore says that the boxer must use combinations when his oponent is hurt (safety first) . On other hand the right cross is chek position. If i see that my opnent is doing something specific and is on the right position then i can execute my in advance learned movement.
    So first the technique:

As you can see the right cross is wild right not a straight right. This is so common mistake to say that the right cross is a straight right.
    So how we get/force our oponent/ into position to execute it. For me there are 2 ways. The first way is pretty straight forward. We make our oponent to step to his left and throw the jab. Here again are two options.First nowadays most of the people stay on their left legs(for orthodox) so they can move only to the left into our right cross. Some examples of picture purfect execution: Joe Louis vs Primo Carnera at 4:11

Thats way it really bad to jab across!
    Second ring generalship. We press our oponent to the ropes and then he has 3 options: stay at the ropes and fire back from there, go to his right in to the left hook or go to his left direct into our right cross. What better example than this one:

The second way to get into position is to counter a combination started by our oponent with the left hand. 99 times out of 100 after the left comes the right hand. This means that his head is to his left. That over our right leg! If we can time the jab then what we only need to do is to throw that right and duck our heads! Examples:
    2:18 (Check the positioning!)
    at 0:22
    at 0:12
    3:42
    Here its really important to duck with the head becouse we dont lant to end in stuped double KO
    We have seen this position. In this situation we are with really big advantage. We are throwing only one shot so we dont need much of eye contact (right cross into the chest is pretty damaging too). Our oponent, who does not know what exactly he is doing in this moment, executes like robot his 1-2 on which he is working every day. He must be looking were he is punching. This means that his head is up! Thats why i think that its bad to learn long range combination like 1-2-3 for example. How many times did you get hit in between the shots? Did you get lucky (not to forget the bad luck) ? Have you acomplished something with this? Dont get me wrong. Short range combinations, like this from Joe Louis are awesome, but even he hits the canves sometimes when he get carried away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Right Cross

Quote Originally Posted by nikola_ganchev View Post
    I know that this thread exists more than once, so i want to apologise myself(if possible) in advance

It makes me so much impression when i am watching a boxing match which ends with KO that there are mosly to types of ending. The first one is throwing a combination and hopping to get lucky or the right cross. Throwing combos all the time for me is sign of someone who does not know what he is doing and as Archie Moore says that the boxer must use combinations when his oponent is hurt (safety first) . On other hand the right cross is chek position. If i see that my opnent is doing something specific and is on the right position then i can execute my in advance learned movement.
    So first the technique:

As you can see the right cross is wild right not a straight right. This is so common mistake to say that the right cross is a straight right.
    So how we get/force our oponent/ into position to execute it. For me there are 2 ways. The first way is pretty straight forward. We make our oponent to step to his left and throw the jab. Here again are two options.First nowadays most of the people stay on their left legs(for orthodox) so they can move only to the left into our right cross. Some examples of picture purfect execution: Joe Louis vs Primo Carnera at 4:11

Thats way it really bad to jab across!
    Second ring generalship. We press our oponent to the ropes and then he has 3 options: stay at the ropes and fire back from there, go to his right in to the left hook or go to his left direct into our right cross. What better example than this one:

The second way to get into position is to counter a combination started by our oponent with the left hand. 99 times out of 100 after the left comes the right hand. This means that his head is to his left. That over our right leg! If we can time the jab then what we only need to do is to throw that right and duck our heads! Examples:
    2:18 (Check the positioning!)
    at 0:22
    at 0:12
    3:42
    Here its really important to duck with the head becouse we dont lant to end in stuped double KO
    We have seen this position. In this situation we are with really big advantage. We are throwing only one shot so we dont need much of eye contact (right cross into the chest is pretty damaging too). Our oponent, who does not know what exactly he is doing in this moment, executes like robot his 1-2 on which he is working every day. He must be looking were he is punching. This means that his head is up! Thats why i think that its bad to learn long range combination like 1-2-3 for example. How many times did you get hit in between the shots? Did you get lucky (not to forget the bad luck) ? Have you acomplished something with this? Dont get me wrong. Short range combinations, like this from Joe Louis are awesome, but even he hits the canves sometimes when he get carried away
    These are very good examples of the basics on angles i think this should be moved to the useful post sections, moving to your right a little will neutralize your opponents right, to the left a bit your opponents left.

Its important to remember always watch the non neutralized hand and that a change in the way punches are thrown will not always put the head in the same place, example when i throw my right cross my head for speed, power and mobility reasons will usually not move to my left at all, but it can if i want it to with small changes say for an overhand right counter.

Watch the subtle angles because it also puts you in range to recieve the damaging shots too so be careful, as it reveals to both your true centre line's, the best way to avoid taking these shots yourself on the angles youve just made is to be on balance and able to move in any direction after making the angle. either ready to extend that angle to further nullify the right and by placing your left glove over their right to neutralize even further and feel for reaction, or to go the other way to try and catch them out and have them assisting you in making the angle bigger and place the right over their left to neutralize both right and further the left again by feeling for reaction and muffling their shot if it comes.

Good thread, reps to you.
    Last edited by WayneFlint; 01-10-2011 at 02:11 AM.

Thread Information