Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default big daddy bowe

i was watching the rematch against golota the other day & bowe looked awfull i mean i forgot how bad he was, he was out on his feet most of the fight & he looked so vunerable with those chicken legs! anyone know what happened to him before the golota fights? i mean when he beat holyfield for the title he looked like he could become an all time great!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: big daddy bowe

I think Bowe is one of the most overrated HW's...
    I've said it once and I'll keep saying it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The third Holyfield fight most people think gave Bowe brain damage, which lead to the two depressing fights with Golota.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think he had alot taken outta him in that trilogy. And never really hard to miss.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    I think Bowe is one of the most overrated HW's...
    I've said it once and I'll keep saying it.
    His resume outside of Holyfield and Golota is weak. He NEVER fought a big puncher. I think flawed fighters like Morrison or Ruddock would have made him battle tooth and nail and they would have had a good chance of winning.

Bowe had weight trouble and the Holyfield fights took a lot out of him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    i was watching the rematch against golota the other day & bowe looked awfull i mean i forgot how bad he was, he was out on his feet most of the fight & he looked so vunerable with those chicken legs! anyone know what happened to him before the golota fights? i mean when he beat holyfield for the title he looked like he could become an all time great!

I seemed to remember he got his weight right down for the Golota Rematch but it seemed to sap his endurence.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bowe had the goods...He let Rock I am not really sure what race, religion or nationality I am Neuman guide his career and oit screwed him....The Holyfield fights just taxed the shit out of him,...Then he liked the party life....In short he threw it away he could have been a top 20 HW if he applied himself

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post

I seemed to remember he got his weight right down for the Golota Rematch but it seemed to sap his endurence.

Yeah the weight loss had a lot to do with Bowes spaghetti legs in the rematch. You noticed it right away. The 1st time he boxed poorly but he was able to absorb Golotas punches alot better. Andrew was fresher and was prepared to work harder in the 1st fight.

The rematch was a sad sight for any Bowe fans. You could see how far he had fallen and was almost blown away in the 2nd round. It was like watching a different fighter to the 1 who beat Evander afew years earlier. I think he was only 29 too. Same age as Morales when he got blown away by Pac and looked like he aged overnight. It suddenly caught up with Bowe too but Golota couldnt finish the job.

Bowe showed heart to stay in there because he was out of it in the 5th too but kept at it even though he was getting a beating. He's looked slow and sluggish in his comeback too however we cant forget what a good fighter he was in the early 90's. Big heavyweight with a good left hand, nice uppercut, he could work at pace and could fight on the inside aswel as keeping it long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cheers for feedback everyone
    i still think in the 1st holyfield fight that bowe would of had a good go @ any heavyweight in history!

cant remember a fighter declining so quickly tho than bowe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i still think in the 1st holyfield fight that bowe would of had a good go @ any heavyweight in history!

That fight was his one shining moment. I always hated Bowe myself and thought he was very overrated but he fought an awesome fight vs Evander in the 1st scrap. Still one of the best HW fights in the last 20 years.

His biggest problem was he was lazy as a sloth. I mean, dude had Eddie Futch in his corner!!! He could have been a bad man with that great jab he had. I always hated him because he wouldn't fight Lewis and because of that I didn’t think Lewis was given his just due for many years.

Even though I disliked him even I was feeling sorry for him during that 2nd Golota fight. He showed lots of heart but probably ruined his life by taking that beating.

El Kabong Guest

Even in his prime condition (first Holyfield fight) I think he would have been vulnerable against a bigger puncher like say Tyson or Lewis.

I think he was a good fighter and physically gifted, but he was a flawed fighter and he was lucky to have Rock Newman guide his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Even in his prime condition (first Holyfield fight) I think he would have been vulnerable against a bigger puncher like say Tyson or Lewis.

I think he was a good fighter and physically gifted, but he was a flawed fighter and he was lucky to have Rock Newman guide his career.
    think i hated rock newman more than anyone in boxing history

after bowe beat holyfield he defended against michael dokes & jesse ferguson, what a waste of talent i agree with earlier post of bowe being lazy & everyone said he ate himself out of being heavyweight champ. i disliked him cos of his slagging off of lennox then never fighting him to the point of dropping the belt into the bin. but he finished with a 43 - 1 record not bad really.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thread has me thinking of Ray mercer again. Didnt he blow chance at Holyfield fight by losing to Holmes...and was then all set to meet Bowe before losing to Jesse Ferguson ? Both of whom got the slot. At best in shape, man I would have loved to see Mercer go at Bowe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe Roy Jones. In the one fight he just made history by winning the heavyweight title and was being touted as one of the best ever. In his very next fight he was getting his ass kicked by Tarver. Then he got blown away in 2 rounds, then followed another Ko defeat and travelled to Australia and got blown away in a round. That decline was very rapid considering the heights he had hit only afew months prior.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

Maybe Roy Jones. In the one fight he just made history by winning the heavyweight title and was being touted as one of the best ever. In his very next fight he was getting his ass kicked by Tarver. Then he got blown away in 2 rounds, then followed another Ko defeat and travelled to Australia and got blown away in a round. That decline was very rapid considering the heights he had hit only afew months prior.
    Well Roy's "Prime" lasted about 10 years, Bowe's "Prime" may have lasted 2-3 years...I think that's the point he's trying to make

Thread Information