Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When will you retire?

Retirement is something I find myself thinking about more and more now that I am getting older. If all goes according to plan I hope to retire at 55. I might well be dead before then, but statistically I am more likely to be alive, so it is well worth consdering. I will then move to the countryside, grow my own potatoes, buy a gun and be a man of leisure. I will probably argue with other farmers, watch cricket and read newspapers in my spare time.

So, a simple thread. When do you plan on retiring and what will you do when you retire?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When will you retire?

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Retirement is something I find myself thinking about more and more now that I am getting older. If all goes according to plan I hope to retire at 55. I might well be dead before then, but statistically I am more likely to be alive, so it is well worth consdering. I will then move to the countryside, grow my own potatoes, buy a gun and be a man of leisure. I will probably argue with other farmers, watch cricket and read newspapers in my spare time.

So, a simple thread. When do you plan on retiring and what will you do when you retire?
    I plan on retiring by 50, given my current situation it is realistic and only slightly ambitious.

When I retire I plan on travelling a lot.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

I plan on retiring by 50, given my current situation it is realistic and only slightly ambitious.

When I retire I plan on travelling a lot.
    50 is very impressive. Travelling between the ages of 50 and 60 is probably ideal too. Actually that is something I would also like to do. I've always wanted to pretend that I am Michael Palin. The travel part, not the comedy sketch part.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im a fattening slacker now who only works when I feel like it, when the wind is southerly usually,(so that I know people are not surfing my favorite break while Im working ).
    I hardly ever work on a Monday, due to suffering Mondeitis we nipped it in the bud completely and never when its over 38 if at all possible. So sometimes theres another week off.
    If I retired fully or in one go, Im a dead man, so Im going down through the gears slowly instead.

I want to live in Tasmania or maybe New Zealand or one of the islands in between here and Tassie if possible one day.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May 1999, it's been alright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fucking hell Miles youre 30 years old!!

Next you will be telling us you are organising the funeral and you have picked a nice hand crafted coffin for your demise.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

50 - not a day after

There's a rumour that I may have to do a days work at some point before I get to that date - but I think its just a rumour
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

Next you will be telling us you are organising the funeral and you have picked a nice hand crafted coffin for your demise.
    I know. The only people who think about retirement at 30 are dole bludgers like myself and David Haye

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wake up guys - at least those of you in the West, or whose earnings are hosted in the West.

The worldwide economic slump will have added at least ten years to the amount of time people aged 45-65 will need to work. Their savings have been drastically reduced after the devaluation of bonds and equities worldwide, and any state help for them will be cut to almost nothing, so they will be retiring with nothing to live on and with no help. They will have to continue working.

People aged 30-45 will probably have less savings, so (on paper) will have lost less. However, any savings built up over the next 5 years or so will return almost nothing. Anyone who has a Defined Contribution pension will find that it returns about 20% of the projections they will have been given. Those people on final salary pensions will probably find that they are closed before you retire. Things may pick up by the time they do reach older age, but the days of comfortable retirement under 65 have finished for all but the tiny fortunate minority.

People under 30 are truly screwed, because they are the people who will end up paying back all the money that our bankers have squandered. This will take a generation!

Rant over.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Wake up guys - at least those of you in the West, or whose earnings are hosted in the West.

The worldwide economic slump will have added at least ten years to the amount of time people aged 45-65 will need to work. Their savings have been drastically reduced after the devaluation of bonds and equities worldwide, and any state help for them will be cut to almost nothing, so they will be retiring with nothing to live on and with no help. They will have to continue working.

People aged 30-45 will probably have less savings, so (on paper) will have lost less. However, any savings built up over the next 5 years or so will return almost nothing. Anyone who has a Defined Contribution pension will find that it returns about 20% of the projections they will have been given. Those people on final salary pensions will probably find that they are closed before you retire. Things may pick up by the time they do reach older age, but the days of comfortable retirement under 65 have finished for all but the tiny fortunate minority.

People under 30 are truly screwed, because they are the people who will end up paying back all the money that our bankers have squandered. This will take a generation!

Rant over.
    Depends on if your investments bet for or against the downturn.
    There are always those that make huge profits when the majority loses their asses.
    A savings account certainly won't give anyone the means for retirement, but there are other vehicles to park your money some that have done very well over the course of the recession. And buying in when the worldwide markets tanked offered the opportunity for explosive growth. Now the masses are starting to buy in again which means it's time to sell those assets bought at the bottom.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll only retire when I win the mega lotto jackpot.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never want to retire, I love work and it gets me out of the (mad) house.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If my fire service pension gets left alone(which I doubt) and combined with my army pension I could retire at 50.

I dont have my hopes up though,things will have changed a hell of a lot by then.

For the worse!
    Balls

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

Honestly, below 30 is the ideal time to start thinking about it. A government pension is only ever going to get smaller and unless you have made preparations from this point on then you are likely going to be living in relative poverty.

X made a very good post above too. I am under no illusions about what is needed to be done in order to retire when I want and I am making all the necessary plans and have been doing so for a number of years now. It's also a very good point about the West, the place is just a drain. Here taxes are low and you can still put your money away with decent returns. All of my reseources are Asian based and I don't even use British banks anymore. In fact, I plan on staying independant of using any government pension. The countryside farm is already part of my mother-in laws will. I fully intend to camp out there when I reach my mid 50's. It is my version of Orwell's Jura.

I have given up completely on British life and the place will only be part of holiday plans from this point out. I have no desire to retire there. Even if I end up quitting Korea for career reasons, I fully expect to return and indulge in my small plot of land fantasy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I was 20 it was 21....at 30 it was about 60. Ive always been raised to not look to retire of want but when the body caves and the mind follows. I honestly think I'll work in one way or another until I get to that point....I live retirement one roadtrip and week off at a time in between now... as I go.

Thread Information