Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: This head guard any good for sparring?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default This head guard any good for sparring?

Top Ten Advantaguard Sparring Headguard. - Sugarrays

After wasting my money on the winning fg-2900 [restricts my vision] I am looking to buy a new headguard for sparring.

Is this one any good and is it made out of bayflex like the other top 10's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by theboxer1982 View Post
    Top Ten Advantaguard Sparring Headguard. - Sugarrays

After wasting my money on the winning fg-2900 [restricts my vision] I am looking to buy a new headguard for sparring.

Is this one any good and is it made out of bayflex like the other top 10's?
    Yeah I have one of those, it doesn't impair your vision and it's good for absorbing shots, the only drawback is I find it gets a bit uncomfortable after a few rounds of wearing it. Maybe that's just me tho. Overall it's not a bad headgaurd. U should pick one up for around £50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: This head guard any good for sparring?

Thank's for that,so would you say this is the best headgear for sparring available?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by theboxer1982 View Post
    Thank's for that,so would you say this is the best headgear for sparring available?
    I really couldn't say as I've not used all the headgaurds available mate. Although my coach did recommend the top ten head gaurds as he seems to think their one of the best around, and from a personal stand point I think they r very sound. Hope this helped

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly prefer not to wear headgear during sparring.

It messes up my peripheal vision, and weighs down my head and takes away what little bit of slipping I can do

As long as your wearing 16 oz gloves and not sparring a huge hitter or much larger guy, then really I don't believe its necessary to wear headgear.

Only problem is that once I've gotten in the ring for a fight/smoker, and HAD to wear headgear, I wasn't used to it and found it uncomfortable and distracting.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

It messes up my peripheal vision, and weighs down my head and takes away what little bit of slipping I can do

As long as your wearing 16 oz gloves and not sparring a huge hitter or much larger guy, then really I don't believe its necessary to wear headgear.

Only problem is that once I've gotten in the ring for a fight/smoker, and HAD to wear headgear, I wasn't used to it and found it uncomfortable and distracting.
    Yep, I found the same but just couldnt be arsed to fuck around with a head guard anyway.

I used to find the same with running trainers, id wear them for sparring but they have so much give when pivoting to throw that I couldnt throw decent shots. I started wearing my boxing boots near the end but then I punched a wall in temper, broke my right hand and couldnt even punch a bag for about 6 months whithout it bruising and hurting like fuck to punch again and that was basically that! Never competed again, I was just getting good too My jab got awesome though, as I still did pads and sparring, just with my left.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Yep, I found the same but just couldnt be arsed to fuck around with a head guard anyway.

I used to find the same with running trainers, id wear them for sparring but they have so much give when pivoting to throw that I couldnt throw decent shots. I started wearing my boxing boots near the end but then I punched a wall in temper, broke my right hand and couldnt even punch a bag for about 6 months whithout it bruising and hurting like fuck to punch again and that was basically that! Never competed again, I was just getting good too My jab got awesome though, as I still did pads and sparring, just with my left.
    Didn't you say you had 18 bouts though Ross ?

I punched a wall once because Carls Jr. fucked up my order.

I said PLAIN GODDAMNIT !!!! I DIDN'T WANT FUCKIN MAYONAISSE AND LETTUCE AND ALL THAT SHIT !!!

Taught that wall the meaning of a hard days night...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I said PLAIN GODDAMNIT !!!! I DIDN'T WANT FUCKIN MAYONAISSE AND LETTUCE AND ALL THAT SHIT !!!

Yeah I did. My first bout was the same night Calzaghe fought Eubank, 11th October 97. I had 8 fights my first season, 7 fights the next and only 3 in my last because I broke my hand half way through, In Feb 2000. My wall punching was because of woman troubles, instantly puffed up like a football and couldnt grip anything for a couple of days. Had to learn to wank with the left

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I did. My first bout was the same night Calzaghe fought Eubank, 11th October 97. I had 8 fights my first season, 7 fights the next and only 3 in my last because I broke my hand half way through, In Feb 2000. My wall punching was because of woman troubles, instantly puffed up like a football and couldnt grip anything for a couple of days. Had to learn to wank with the left
    That is a sad and tragic tale...

You had so much potential...not for boxing I mean but for jerking off

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is a sad and tragic tale...

You had so much potential...not for boxing I mean but for jerking off

Oh I dont know, iv come on leaps and bounds since then. Im a right wanker now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just got one today the avantguarde it's called from ebay,but im not sure they sent me the correct model,it doesn't say 'Avantguarde' anywere on it and the ear guards look like they don't offer much protection,so how can I be sure they sent me the correct model?

Thread Information