Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: movement around the heavy bag....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default movement around the heavy bag....

Is there any training video's or advice on the above mentioned topic?

Hi all, I have only been hitting the bag for a few weeks. And my movement around the bag is lacking, I can see a improvement but I start out a round good but as the round goes I start doing less.

I think just like a combination there should be movements memorized and the more I do em the sooner it will become muscle memory.

Ie: 1-2-3 bob and weave. Jab jab duck jab move to the left etc repeat. I know its not good to learn static movements but its better than just standing there throwing a combo moving to the side and throwing it again move to the side. Need to be a difficult moving target not just a moving target.

Hope that makes sense. English is still week
    Last edited by ST1; 02-16-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: movement around the heavy bag....

If you don't have any ideas, which is to be expected, just starting out, find some videos of a fighter that you admire, watch it carefully, slow it down, then steal shamelessly. Do the whole thing- how he (or she, I guess) gets in position, the punches thrown, and how they get out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    If you don't have any ideas, which is to be expected, just starting out, find some videos of a fighter that you admire, watch it carefully, slow it down, then steal shamelessly. Do the whole thing- how he (or she, I guess) gets in position, the punches thrown, and how they get out.

Thanks i will start searching the web. if anyone has any good example please display them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you working out at home, if so what kind of set-up do you have? If you don't have much room, or if the bag is on some sort of stand, then you'd be very limited in terms of footwork.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Are you working out at home, if so what kind of set-up do you have? If you don't have much room, or if the bag is on some sort of stand, then you'd be very limited in terms of footwork.
    The bag is hanging from the roof, I have lots of space to movie. The only limitatiom WRT to movement is in my mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just make a rule -- move left and jab, set for power and immediately move again. Sometimes work left and right, sometimes do all left then all right for a "time" (e.g., 30 second timer) or a round.

Generally concentrate moving towards your back foot AT FIRST, and the first time in each set to make sure you get at least equal time in this direction (right for a right hander) as that is usually the most difficult direction for most people -- it has to do with the way you need to 'push' with the trailing foot.

Practice you combos using the same idea: jab and move to the hook etc position.

After the first few days my coach would NEVER let us just stand and hit a bag -- always moving, only stopping for a brief combo or to change direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by HerbM View Post
    Just make a rule -- move left and jab, set for power and immediately move again. Sometimes work left and right, sometimes do all left then all right for a "time" (e.g., 30 second timer) or a round.

Generally concentrate moving towards your back foot AT FIRST, and the first time in each set to make sure you get at least equal time in this direction (right for a right hander) as that is usually the most difficult direction for most people -- it has to do with the way you need to 'push' with the trailing foot.

Practice you combos using the same idea: jab and move to the hook etc position.

After the first few days my coach would NEVER let us just stand and hit a bag -- always moving, only stopping for a brief combo or to change direction.

Thread Information