Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default workout program

Can anyone recommend a boxing program for a 36 year old who has an hour per day to workout? I go to a gym with heavy and speed bags. I would also include some sort of roadwork in the program. Is 2 miles at a fast pace enough followed by a circuit around the bags and rope skipping? Advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: workout program

Sorry about my dopey post, I wrote it this morning from my Blackberry right before going into work.. Let me clarify. Im 36 years old, Im a police officer with a wife and baby and I dont plan on actually getting into the ring and fighting anyone. I do believe boxing training to be very effective for my fitness goals which are: weight loss, stamina and conditioning gain and muscle tone. I have been using my own workout now for about three months and it keeps evolving. Currently I run for 30 or 3 miles whichever comes first, then 3 rounds on the heavy bag (30s rest), 3 rounds of speed bag (sometimes with no rest) then 2 or 3 rounds of skipping (i have to rest because this kills my calves). I finish off with some pushups and ab circuits. I have lifted weights since the age of 16 and have built a lot of mass that i wish i didnt really have. So I dont want weights in my program anymore. I really want to focus on cardio health and endurance. My question really is this: Would it be advantageous to keep my runs at 30 mins, or should I shorten them and do more boxing training, or a combination of both, (one day run longer, the next shorter with longer and shorter boxing workouts). With a full time job and a 4 month old baby I really only have an hour max before my wife will be less than enthused about me exercising daily. I really respect the members of this site and appreciate any and all advice. Thank you in advance.
    John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine27 View Post
    Sorry about my dopey post, I wrote it this morning from my Blackberry right before going into work.. Let me clarify. Im 36 years old, Im a police officer with a wife and baby and I dont plan on actually getting into the ring and fighting anyone. I do believe boxing training to be very effective for my fitness goals which are: weight loss, stamina and conditioning gain and muscle tone. I have been using my own workout now for about three months and it keeps evolving. Currently I run for 30 or 3 miles whichever comes first, then 3 rounds on the heavy bag (30s rest), 3 rounds of speed bag (sometimes with no rest) then 2 or 3 rounds of skipping (i have to rest because this kills my calves). I finish off with some pushups and ab circuits. I have lifted weights since the age of 16 and have built a lot of mass that i wish i didnt really have. So I dont want weights in my program anymore. I really want to focus on cardio health and endurance. My question really is this: Would it be advantageous to keep my runs at 30 mins, or should I shorten them and do more boxing training, or a combination of both, (one day run longer, the next shorter with longer and shorter boxing workouts). With a full time job and a 4 month old baby I really only have an hour max before my wife will be less than enthused about me exercising daily. I really respect the members of this site and appreciate any and all advice. Thank you in advance.
    John

If i was in your situation i would run for an hour one day, a half hour run is ok but you sound like your reasonably fit so could probably do with upping the 30 minutes. the next day spend the entire hour boxing. You can have the 30s rest every round if needed and your session can be a lot more structured so you get the most out of.

That's all i'd do as simple as that, instead of doing 1 session with a short run and a short boxing session you can now do a long steady 60 minute run then the alternative days give your upper body a decent long work out while your legs get a bit of rest from the run so they are fresh for the next day.

i reckon you'll feel the difference in a couple of weeks. Let me know what you think of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would run for 20-30 minutes and then spend the balance of my time on boxing. After running, I would maybe do 3 rounds shadowboxing, 3 rounds of bag work, and if you have a partner- 3 rounds of mitt work. With rest a 20 min run and 9 rounds of boxing exercises would be an hour.

The shadowboxing and heavy bags are a must. If you don't have a partner, you can sub skipping, slip bag or speed bag as alternatives. You have have fun with these drills and they will keep you motivated for longer.

Also, I'm a police officer in my 30s so we are in similar situations!

I would encourage you to do light sparring in the future. I have found that boxing is the best form of self-defense when attacked. Just a slip and counter is great. Shoot me a PM anytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you for your consideration and replies. GIMC..I will definitely shoot you a message! I used to run every other day and find better results with more frequency. The last stress test I had the dr said my cardio was awesome and keep doing what I was doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Private Message

I just tried to PM you GIMC, but I could not because I need 25 posts or more..

Thread Information