Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Basic Stance and Defense and alternate view

Somebody advised me to take a look at the following videos. The stance and the defence he teaches are a bit different from what I've been taught from my coaches, as well as from several on this website.

But the trainer in the video does bring up some interesting points.. check it out and let me know what you guys think of the methods he is teaching.

I enjoyed how he described positioning of where u should be when facing your opponent. Something that I personally haven't seen covered in many videos that teach the boxing stance.. However is an integral part of the boxing stance.

now for some basic defense...

now in this video he discusses a defensive technique that I've never seen before.. The cover up for the straight right.

The flexing of the wrist is a tip that I recently got at my gym from a former Canadian Olympian. He was showing me little tricks that help when defending the left hook.

The final defensive technique he shows when up close for blocking the left hook.. i really dont agree with at all.. but the rest of the video is interesting.

.. anyways let me know what you guys thought of, some of the techniques demonstrated in the two videos... any input and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Basic Stance and Defense and alternate view

That cover for the right hand...simplistic way of doing something else. The way he does it, it is just a block and not much to counter off of. Ideally, you want to put some weight onto your right foot and turn your body that way, so you can get inside his right hand, then push it out with your left glove. Opens up a right hand or left hook counter.
    His feet are a bit far apart, front to back, and I think that you are better off rotating your front leg inward, instead of just turning the foot. Basically, pretty good on the basic stuff. Better than most of the stuff I've seen on-line. Like most, he looks at defense too much as a separate thing unto itself. For example- the natural counter to hooks to the body are uppercuts. He throws a left hook to the body, and you throw a right uppercut properly, you are in position to either block the hook or to counter inside it.
    In general, when blocking hooks I think it is better to roll a bit inside of it than to take it flush on the block. Can't counter that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Grey... thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not bad but still he could get people hurt with the advice he gives is not complete, it seems like he doesnt quite know how to do the moves hes showing properly, id say hes seen it done but never been shown properly, like grey said taking a hook on the glove that way isnt good, even from the women demonstrators pretend punch his head rocked back so if it was a half decent hook he would have been rocked properly, same with the right hand defence, not to mention your inviting them in to feint you into position for a flank round the side and if your not aware your doing so then you definently shouldnt be doing these moves, good point about the uppercut being a natural counter to body shots and personally i think its the easiest one to throw a hard natural counter to, seen as though you dont have to move your head with this one sacrificing good posture and a stronger shot, remember student you can take things from here and there anything you find useful, it doesnt matter who or where you get it as long as it helps you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WayneFlint View Post
    Not bad but still he could get people hurt with the advice he gives is not complete, it seems like he doesnt quite know how to do the moves hes showing properly, id say hes seen it done but never been shown properly, like grey said taking a hook on the glove that way isnt good, even from the women demonstrators pretend punch his head rocked back so if it was a half decent hook he would have been rocked properly, same with the right hand defence, not to mention your inviting them in to feint you into position for a flank round the side and if your not aware your doing so then you definently shouldnt be doing these moves, good point about the uppercut being a natural counter to body shots and personally i think its the easiest one to throw a hard natural counter to, seen as though you dont have to move your head with this one sacrificing good posture and a stronger shot, remember student you can take things from here and there anything you find useful, it doesnt matter who or where you get it as long as it helps you.
    I completely agree with what you said Wayne.. Thanks for the feedback.

When I first watched the video, I saw some things in there that I liked.. and some things that were a bit questionable.

For example the left hook as he demonstrates it, you guys are right, would end up causing quite a bit of impact to the head anyways through the block. The way I was shown was similar, but to shift the arm outwards about an inch and meet the hook with the wrist flexed... which still I wasnt sure was the best way of doing it..

Blocking the hook to the head is still something I'm not too comfortable doing, as I havent actually learned how to do it flawlessly. I know there's different styles and different coaches will show you different ways to do it.. I guess I haven't found one that fully works for me... Either that or I need to spend more time working on and perfecting it.

But thanks for the feedback guys.. I really appreciate the time and effort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm the one who uploaded the video, just putting that out there (took it from a dvd). I'm surprised that people are talking about the cover for the right hand? I thought that was one of the most basic defenses people were taught, if you do it right you are definitely in a position to counter, mainly either with a right cross or a right uppercut. Here is a video of Russ Anber teaching it (the block is around 1:53), though there is slight differences in their stance.

I do kind of agree about the defense for the left hook. If someone is throwing a really hard hook and you just put your hand by your ear, there is going to be a lot of force that goes through. The only other dvd i've seen that shows how to block a hook like that is the "Solid Defense" video by John Brown (Ringside). I prefer to just roll with it a little bit to set myself up for my own left hook. I have also seen people sit "into" the hook a little bit to take away some of the impact

And 0:20 of this video shows the sitting into it

At the end of the day i think it is just important to take whatever you can from different sources. Everybody has different ways of doing things, none of them really "wrong", different things just work differently for other people. I believe the key is to always stay open-minded and learn from everyone you can.
    Last edited by dtravis92; 03-01-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Thread Information