Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Water Weight from Sodium?

Hey everyone. I'm coming to you guys with a nutritional question. Nearly everything in my fridge and pantry is protein: wild caught salmon, tuna in water, myoplex, etc..

I've been trying to stick with a high protein, low carb & fat diet which i feel i've been doing pretty well at. My main issue though is straying from sodium. I find myself loading all my protein packed meals with salt which i heard makes you retain more water.

My question is, should i be so concerned with my sodium intake as long as im sticking with high protein low fat meals? Does sodium make you retain a significant amount of water? and if so is it difficult to lose the water weight? I'm interested in hearing your intake on my situation and would like to know how you plan your sodium intake as well.

Thanks everyone for your time input!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Water Weight from Sodium?

More importantly, why are you on a low carb diet if you're boxing?
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

More healthy greens and lean meats. Need Carbs for muscle recovery and energy.

For water weight, today I tried a black garbage bag as the weather was cold and rainy. Made holes for head and arms, put it over my t-shirt and under my sweatshirt. I lost 5lbs of water weight in a hour work-out. Good way to sweat out toxins, excess salt, booze lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks, i've been going to the gym wearing sweats and i feel myself sweating a lot of it out. My main concern with this is dehydration though...

and i was on a low carb diet because i figured it would keep me leaner as to maintain weight. but i suppose carbs are a crucial part in providing energy for my muscles. ill add some more carbs into my diet.

any suggestions on some good sources of carbohydrates? are there good carbs and bad carbs?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The intensity of your CV training and the musculature that you're going to develop should see your burning through calories and staying lean.

But the metabolism boost that you should get from an regime like a boxer's isn't going to happen unless it is fueled by carbohydrates.

You can eat no carbs at all... but if you eat 4000 kcals a day of proteins and fats when your body only needs 2500 (as an example ) then it doesn't matter where those calories came from... fat... protein.. carbs... whatever, the extra 1500 is stil going to be stored as fat.

Carbs get a bad press but it's only the high GI, refined ones that are any worse than protein or fat... your body can process refined carbs too quickly, they make your blood sugar shoot up too high so your body reeases a load of insulin to bring your blood sugar down... by quickly storing it as fat!

Also if you severely restrict a major food group then you run the risk of being difficient in the nutrients that come with it 9grains have types of fibres, minerals and vitamins that you will struggle to get much of elsewhere)

But to train and function effectivley you need carbohydrates... stored in your muscles as glycogen... boxing is an anaerobic sport so you need acess to that quick energy... if you want to see a drained fighter with low glycogen stores then look at Oscar De La Hoya when he fought pacquio...

Eat low G.I. carbohydrates (whole grains such as oats... sweet potatoes etc) and as long as you don't eat too much (again... too many calories will make you gain weight... no matter where they come from) and you'll have all the glycogen you need to box effectively and fuel intense C.V. and weight sessions which will fire up your metablism and get your body burning fat all day long even when you're not training.

Ignore magazines and pop nutrition... not all carbs are bad!

mens health and recreational gym users will tell you that the carbs you get from some spinach and peppers will fuel your muscles... but when your idea of working out is 3 sets of 8 reps of a few chest and tri exercises and then 20 minutes of 'intense intervals' on a cross trainer is your idea of a workout I think air is just about enough to fuel it!

As for sodium... it can draw water into cells... but if you're working out and eating clean and not adding extra salt to your foods then it should not be an issue at all.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​I was going to make a joke about sodium .... but then I thought Na you fools wouldn't get it
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    ​I was going to make a joke about sodium .... but then I thought Na you fools wouldn't get it
    Ha ha old but gold

Thread Information