Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default My Coach Said To Me "Punchers Are Born"

and that i'm not one of them who were born. he said that i'm naturally fast and athletic for my age (16), but since i'm not a natural born puncher like some guys who have that KO ability... does this mean i could never become a good boxer?

has there ever been a boxer who wasn't a natural banger that carved out a good career?

have there ever been any famous good boxers who didn't have that much power?

in a fight/boxing match does the stronger puncher always win?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My Coach Said To Me "Punchers Are Born"

That simply is not true. Punching hard is a function of technique and balance and making use of leverage; while some people are, it seems, born with a natural affinity for these things, they can all be taught. Maybe your trainer doesn't know how to teach them?
    "One punch KO power" is the biggest con in boxing. Anybody that spends hours practicing punching has the capability to turn the tide of a fight or end a fight with one punch. It happens more often to some fighters than to others due to style, and abilities that have nothing to do at all with punching hard. Such as timing and the ability to set up an opponent, to get them in a position where landing a hard punch is possible.
    The hardest puncher doesn't always win, probably doesn't even usually win, I would think. I would bet on the smartest fighter first, then the best conditioned.
    Pay a lot of attention to your punching technique and, especially, your feet. Getting them too far apart will, guaranteed, make you slap and push your punches. Turn your hips and your shoulders and use that force to drive your blows. Throw short punches.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Punchers are born, Then Made
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

ICB Guest

Look at it this way Tommy Hearns KO percentage, wasn't that good when he was in the Amateur's. But when he turned professional he was a devastating puncher.

Obviously you get the naturally strong guys, like Julian Jackson who could pretty much knock you out with whatever punch he landed on your chin.

But there's also guys like Tommy Hearns, who aren't fully developed and need some tweaking here and there.

But you can always improve on your punching power, plus many successful fighters have gone to achieve great things without having great punching power.

See Pernell Whitaker, Willie Pep, for examples.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always thought I was a speed fighter, just accepted it, until recently when I found i had power. How? Who knows, maybe technique, gained muscle mass, many things. I will say this though, if you're going to be a hard hitter, get your wrists and hands prepared for it. Not talking just wrapping up either. For soon as I started to find the power, next thing I knew was dealing with constant wrist and hand injuries.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its your Oral Balance . your Head is in the wrong place, so everything else is.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Its your Oral Balance . your Head is in the wrong place, so everything else is.
    So thinking in reverse; if your body and arm is out of line with your head, do you always have to correct the head before the bodies alignment will follow?

I mean, in physical terms your head goes where your feet go. But the feet dont go at all if the head isnt there to direct them.

Can you make corrections from both approaches back into balance?

Or are we talking: be moving in balance always, or forget it?

My brain hurts, Im going to walk it over to the kettle now .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol well not sure about my oral stability, is prob all messed up. but am fairly sure my opponent being a block-headed ogre and 25 lbs heavier when smoking him with overhands rights factors in too.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes you took on some job mate!
    I see your point;

I mean we are all human and if we smack a brick wall or a block head for long enough we are going to hurt ourselves.

Notice I didnt use the term ( knuckle head)

sorry bad joke..
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you have 1 leg you can Box, if you have 1 arm you can . If you have no Head, all balance is lost and coardination. Its the biggest stabalising factor there is, everything performs of it, its an interesting puzzle. I know you would be Dead , but its the concept. .

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andre, you are on the right track, also what ive seen of the Youngblood, He is going to get there, just a few adjustments to the top 3 vertabrea and what they are supporting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    That simply is not true. Punching hard is a function of technique and balance and making use of leverage; while some people are, it seems, born with a natural affinity for these things, they can all be taught. Maybe your trainer doesn't know how to teach them?
    "One punch KO power" is the biggest con in boxing. Anybody that spends hours practicing punching has the capability to turn the tide of a fight or end a fight with one punch. It happens more often to some fighters than to others due to style, and abilities that have nothing to do at all with punching hard. Such as timing and the ability to set up an opponent, to get them in a position where landing a hard punch is possible.
    The hardest puncher doesn't always win, probably doesn't even usually win, I would think. I would bet on the smartest fighter first, then the best conditioned.
    Pay a lot of attention to your punching technique and, especially, your feet. Getting them too far apart will, guaranteed, make you slap and push your punches. Turn your hips and your shoulders and use that force to drive your blows. Throw short punches.
    Agreed 10000000000000000000% with all of this.

I hate when people say "x person was born with this" some people are just naturally heavy handed, but, like posted above. You can be taught how to punch through a target.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Andre, you are on the right track, also what ive seen of the Youngblood, He is going to get there, just a few adjustments to the top 3 vertabrea and what they are supporting
    lol not positive but pretty sure Scrap just said my head ain't screwed on right.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can be taught to punch with greater technique and better power... but the fact is that although somebody who is not a natural puncher can improve... so can somebody who already is a natural puncher.

Some people's proportions, muscle fibre make up, bone density... what ever it is simply means that they won't be massive punchers...

Some guys aren't built and don't grow that way and some guys just aren't wired that way or don't have the mentality... what ever it is: sure, you can develop things... but you can only build on top of the foundations that are already there.

Ali could NEVER punch as hard as Foreman possibly could if both of them were trained specifically and perfectly for power and Foreman could never be as fast as Ali possibly could if they were both trained specifically and perfectly for speed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is wrong is so many ways, it would take a book to refute. If your coach really believes that, I would find me another coach....if punchers are born, why would they need a coach like him?

Thread Information