Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Floyds Resume

I think that Floyd constantly gets discredited for his resume and his accomplishments because he is a bit of a twit; but the reality of it is he has an outstanding resume that easily outmatches that of the majority of his peers! lets have a look.

I count 10 future hall of famers in that resume and other respectable contenders who competes with this resume? lets not look back and discredit legitimate wins because it suits our agenda instead shall we have a objective discussion about the reality of why people discredit his resume.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyds Resume

His days as a Lightweight/ Light Welterweight could have been much more fulfilling but that's just reaching for dreams. His resume is as stacked as anyones could be.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My issue with Mayweather is with his record in the last several years. A lot of his fights at JWW and above have holes in them. Bruseles and Mitchell? Hardly anticipated bouts. A Gatti who had lost half a dozen? A Judah who had just lost? A Baldomir who was never particularly good? A Hatton beyond his optimum weight? Mosley after a massive layoff?

No Cotto. No Margarito. And most significantly no Pacquiao.

Sure, Mayweather did a lot in his younger years, but in recent years there has been a lot that makes you question him.

He is an exceptional fighter, but in recent times, asides from Oscar, you always sense that he was looking for the easier options or else a way to make the tougher fights easier.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And how can I forget Marquez at a WW catchweight and never even making the weight? That was perhaps the most cynical of them all. Mayweather may be a dick, but his actions sometimes speak far louder than his words ever do. That was unforgivable, both the fight and the weigh in nonsense.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    My issue with Mayweather is with his record in the last several years. A lot of his fights at JWW and above have holes in them. Bruseles and Mitchell? Hardly anticipated bouts. A Gatti who had lost half a dozen? A Judah who had just lost? A Baldomir who was never particularly good? A Hatton beyond his optimum weight? Mosley after a massive layoff?

No Cotto. No Margarito. And most significantly no Pacquiao.

Sure, Mayweather did a lot in his younger years, but in recent years there has been a lot that makes you question him.

He is an exceptional fighter, but in recent times, asides from Oscar, you always sense that he was looking for the easier options or else a way to make the tougher fights easier.
    First, let's just establish that Floyd's resume is amazing. No losses and plenty of good wins. However, I agree with Miles, his recent resume is somewhat lacking. Wins over Hatton at 147 and JMM at 147 don't do all that much for me. Floyd is supposed to be the best boxing has to offer, but Froch in his last five fights has faced tougher opponents - or even if you disagree with that statement, Froch has faced comparably tough opponents. Either way that says something.

I wanted Floyd to fight Cotto before he retired for the first time and I wanted to see him fight Margarito. It's funny to me that Manny, coming up in weight, not having been an established welterweight, has beat more top welterweights than Floyd has. And if Manny beats Shane, he literally has cleaned out the division, minus Berto.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd mayweather is a fraud. Pretty Boy Fraud is his real name. Who did he fight in their prime? Mosely, dlh, gatti were all way past the bend in the road. let's see him fight pac. period.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by piye View Post
    I think that Floyd constantly gets discredited for his resume and his accomplishments because he is a bit of a twit; but the reality of it is he has an outstanding resume that easily outmatches that of the majority of his peers! lets have a look.

Floyd's resume
    I count 10 future hall of famers in that resume and other respectable contenders who competes with this resume? lets not look back and discredit legitimate wins because it suits our agenda instead shall we have a objective discussion about the reality of why people discredit his resume.
    First I want to say Floyd has a great resume, but people use that statement "Future Hall of Farmers" too loosely! You might want to put some deeper thought into it.

The only fighters I give a real chance is Floyd, Oscar and possibly Hatton because they get the votes in the first year of being eligible. The HOF inductees have been reduced down to three a year and we have politics, politics and more politics. I doubt anyone else has a strong chance. Example: Do you see Naseem Hamead or Thomas Hearns on the list?

1990 - Archie Moore
    1990 - Billy Conn
    1990 - Bob Foster
    1990 - Carlos Monzón
    1990 - Carmen Basilio
    1990 - Emile Griffith
    1990 - Ezzard Charles
    1990 - Henry Armstrong
    1990 - Jake LaMotta
    1990 - Jersey Joe Walcott
    1990 - Joe Frazier
    1990 - Joe Louis
    1990 - José Nápoles
    1990 - Kid Gavilán
    1990 - Muhammad Ali
    1990 - Rocky Marciano
    1990 - Sandy Saddler
    1990 - Sugar Ray Robinson
    1990 - Willie Pep
    1990 - Ike Williams
    1991 - Beau Jack
    1991 - Carlos Ortiz
    1991 - Dick Tiger
    1991 - Floyd Patterson
    1991 - Gene Fullmer
    1991 - Marcel Cerdan
    1991 - Rocky Graziano
    1991 - Rubén Olivares
    1991 - Salvador Sánchez
    1991 - Sonny Liston
    1991 - Tony Zale
    1992 - Alexis Argüello
    1992 - Billy Graham
    1992 - Charley Burley
    1992 - Eder Jofre
    1992 - Jackie Kid Berg
    1992 - Ken Norton
    1992 - Max Schmeling
    1993 - Flash Elorde
    1993 - Harold Johnson
    1993 - Joey Giardello
    1993 - Marvelous Marvin Hagler
    1993 - Fritzie Zivic
    1994 - Joey Maxim
    1994 - Michael Spinks
    1994 - Wilfred Benítez
    1994 - Carlos Zárate
    1995 - Bob Montgomery
    1995 - Fighting Harada
    1995 - Pascual Pérez
    1995 - Wilfredo Gómez
    1996 - Aaron Pryor
    1996 - Joe Brown
    1996 - Manuel Ortiz
    1996 - Nino Benvenuti
    1997 - José Torres
    1997 - Luis Rodriguez
    1997 - Sugar Ray Leonard
    1997 - Chalky Wright
    1998 - Antonio Cervantes
    1998 - Matthew Saad Muhammad
    1998 - Miguel Canto
    1998 - Sammy Angott
    1999 - Eusebio Pedroza
    1999 - Jimmy Bivins
    1999 - Khaosai Galaxy
    1999 - Lew Jenkins
    1999 - Vicente Saldivar
    2000 - Bobo Olson
    2000 - Jeff Chandler
    2000 - Jimmy Carter
    2000 - Ken Buchanan
    2001 - Ismael Laguna
    2001 - László Papp
    2001 - Randy Turpin
    2001 - Sugar Ramos
    2001 - Willie Pastrano
    2002 - Ingemar Johansson
    2002 - Jeff Fenech
    2002 - Pipino Cuevas
    2002 - Víctor Galíndez
    2003 - Curtis Cokes
    2003 - Fred Apostoli
    2003 - George Foreman
    2003 - Mike McCallum
    2003 - Nicolino Locche
    2004 - Azumah Nelson
    2004 - Carlos Palomino
    2004 - Dwight Muhammad Qawi
    2004 - Daniel Zaragoza
    2005 - Barry McGuigan
    2005 - Bobby Chacon
    2005 - Duilio Loi
    2005 - Terry Norris
    2006 - Edwin Rosario
    2006 - Humberto González
    2006 - Michael Carbajal
    2007 - Ricardo Lopez
    2007 - Roberto Durán
    2007 - Pernell Whitaker
    2008 - Eddie Perkins
    2008 - Larry Holmes
    2008 - Holman Williams
    2009 - Brian Mitchell
    2009 - Lennox Lewis
    2009 - Orlando Canizales
    2010 - Danny Lopez
    2010 - Jung-Koo Chang
    2010 - Lloyd Marshall
    2011 - Julio César Chávez
    2011 - Kostya Tszyu
    2011 - Mike Tyson

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think that being in the "Hall of Fame" means much of anything. Inegmar Johansson is in. Dwight Mohammed Qawi is in. So is Edwin Rosario, and Ken Norton. There's no standard and, really, how can there be? How can you compare different eras in boxing, or count world titles when there used to be eight, total, and now there's eight (or nine) different groups recognizing world champions in 20-odd divisions?
    Excuse my rant...
    There is no denying that Mayweather is a very talented guy, but you need to have some perspective. The things he does defensively that are considered unique today were once standard issue for solid pros. The guys he fights aren't all that smart when it comes to figuring out how to hit guys that don't want to be hit, Marquez being an exception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

Floyd's resume
    First I want to say Floyd has a great resume, but people use that statement "Future Hall of Farmers" too loosely! You might want to put some deeper thought into it.

The only fighters I give a real chance is Floyd, Oscar and possibly Hatton because they get the votes in the first year of being eligible. The HOF inductees have been reduced down to three a year and we have politics, politics and more politics. I doubt anyone else has a strong chance. Example: Do you see Naseem Hamead or Thomas Hearns on the list?

1990 - Archie Moore
    1990 - Billy Conn
    1990 - Bob Foster
    1990 - Carlos Monzón
    1990 - Carmen Basilio
    1990 - Emile Griffith
    1990 - Ezzard Charles
    1990 - Henry Armstrong
    1990 - Jake LaMotta
    1990 - Jersey Joe Walcott
    1990 - Joe Frazier
    1990 - Joe Louis
    1990 - José Nápoles
    1990 - Kid Gavilán
    1990 - Muhammad Ali
    1990 - Rocky Marciano
    1990 - Sandy Saddler
    1990 - Sugar Ray Robinson
    1990 - Willie Pep
    1990 - Ike Williams
    1991 - Beau Jack
    1991 - Carlos Ortiz
    1991 - Dick Tiger
    1991 - Floyd Patterson
    1991 - Gene Fullmer
    1991 - Marcel Cerdan
    1991 - Rocky Graziano
    1991 - Rubén Olivares
    1991 - Salvador Sánchez
    1991 - Sonny Liston
    1991 - Tony Zale
    1992 - Alexis Argüello
    1992 - Billy Graham
    1992 - Charley Burley
    1992 - Eder Jofre
    1992 - Jackie Kid Berg
    1992 - Ken Norton
    1992 - Max Schmeling
    1993 - Flash Elorde
    1993 - Harold Johnson
    1993 - Joey Giardello
    1993 - Marvelous Marvin Hagler
    1993 - Fritzie Zivic
    1994 - Joey Maxim
    1994 - Michael Spinks
    1994 - Wilfred Benítez
    1994 - Carlos Zárate
    1995 - Bob Montgomery
    1995 - Fighting Harada
    1995 - Pascual Pérez
    1995 - Wilfredo Gómez
    1996 - Aaron Pryor
    1996 - Joe Brown
    1996 - Manuel Ortiz
    1996 - Nino Benvenuti
    1997 - José Torres
    1997 - Luis Rodriguez
    1997 - Sugar Ray Leonard
    1997 - Chalky Wright
    1998 - Antonio Cervantes
    1998 - Matthew Saad Muhammad
    1998 - Miguel Canto
    1998 - Sammy Angott
    1999 - Eusebio Pedroza
    1999 - Jimmy Bivins
    1999 - Khaosai Galaxy
    1999 - Lew Jenkins
    1999 - Vicente Saldivar
    2000 - Bobo Olson
    2000 - Jeff Chandler
    2000 - Jimmy Carter
    2000 - Ken Buchanan
    2001 - Ismael Laguna
    2001 - László Papp
    2001 - Randy Turpin
    2001 - Sugar Ramos
    2001 - Willie Pastrano
    2002 - Ingemar Johansson
    2002 - Jeff Fenech
    2002 - Pipino Cuevas
    2002 - Víctor Galíndez
    2003 - Curtis Cokes
    2003 - Fred Apostoli
    2003 - George Foreman
    2003 - Mike McCallum
    2003 - Nicolino Locche
    2004 - Azumah Nelson
    2004 - Carlos Palomino
    2004 - Dwight Muhammad Qawi
    2004 - Daniel Zaragoza
    2005 - Barry McGuigan
    2005 - Bobby Chacon
    2005 - Duilio Loi
    2005 - Terry Norris
    2006 - Edwin Rosario
    2006 - Humberto González
    2006 - Michael Carbajal
    2007 - Ricardo Lopez
    2007 - Roberto Durán
    2007 - Pernell Whitaker
    2008 - Eddie Perkins
    2008 - Larry Holmes
    2008 - Holman Williams
    2009 - Brian Mitchell
    2009 - Lennox Lewis
    2009 - Orlando Canizales
    2010 - Danny Lopez
    2010 - Jung-Koo Chang
    2010 - Lloyd Marshall
    2011 - Julio César Chávez
    2011 - Kostya Tszyu
    2011 - Mike Tyson
    We could spend a lot of time picking this list apart of fighters that do/do not belong. Floyd will have his place in there for the exceptional job he did all the way up to the De La Hoya fight. Regardless, you could write everything off after that and call it a HOF career.

But, yet again, Miles is correct about earning no kudos for just about anything after his foray into Welter. It's hard to explain why you like boxing when Floyd Mayweather is your posterboy this past decade.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was going to be a great resume but now it is only very good at best.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd has a good mresume...There are fighters who are in the HOF or considered elite that have worse for sure....My issue with Floyd is and IMO Miles touched on it perfectly....Floyd has had the habit and this is not opinion it is a fact and it has nothing to do with liking the guy or not because there are plenty of fighters I like and think they have a shit resume and plenty I dislike and IMO have a great resume....

Once Floyd left LW it is hard pressed to see anyone on his list that was the best available at the time he fought them or were they peak...EG as stated by another poster...At LWW he fought Gatti?...OK good fight Gatti get the guy you know you will beat for a title with little resistance...I have no issue with that but then we avoid all the other threats at the weight class?.....IT HAS ZERO TO DO WITH IF FLOYD WOULD HAVE BEATEN THEM OR NOT FACT IS HE CHOSE NOT TO FIGHT THE MOST DANGEROUS MEN AVAILABLE TO PROVE HE IS THE BEST....Is that not what being the best is about?...The hell with Cotto who was in most peoples opp at the time a monstor at 140 he was walking through everyone....

He instead chose to move up to WW...OK no problems with that just a quick stop ove at 140 adjust to weight, grab a quick title and make it clear you are not looking to move in...So at WW we beat Baldo...Hey the man was the Ring champ at the moment so he was the man to fight regardless of his skillset...(Though in another thread someone tried to actually pass off Baldo was the favorite to win)....He wins the title then moves up for 1 mega fight with DLH wins by a SD why lets be honest DLH faded in 10 and did nothing for 3 rds so he gave them away with exception of part of the 12th....he retires after fighting Hatton who asked for trouble by calling Floyd out but shit man Hatton struggled at WW and everyone knows it....So Floyd retires then comes back to fight JMM who had 1 fight at LW before fighting Floyd at 142 in reality JMM jumped up 2 weight classes to fight a man who called him out and did not even come in on the agreed upon weight!!!!....Then Mosley...Hey I don't take that away from him because Mosley was considered the man at WW since he destroyed Margarito but look at who Floyd missed.....

Cotto, Williams, Margarito, Spinks, Cintron, Clottey, Berto and so on...Would he have beaten them? More then likely but they presented challenges and would have made Floyd for the most part either fight his ass off or make him look bad in winning.....Margarito before the whole Mosley incident was beating the shit out of guys at WW and Floyd was claiming to be the man...Williams was being avoided...Clottey makes even those who beat him look bad, Cintron who is menatlly weak had the punch to hurt Floyd if he caught him...All would have fought him all were considered top contenders or champions at the time Floyd should have could have faced them.....Instead Floyd chose the easiest route and chose the easiest of the champions to fight.....It is OK once, twice even three times but not as a habit...Do not come back after a layoff and tell us you picked JMM because he was the best available in the sport....And he needed to fight the P4P best ....If JuanMa was rated P4P best on Floyd return would he have fought him? Maybe Calderon if he was rated best?.Of course not because the weight would have been impossible but what about the best second best or even third best in his division outside of Mosley? Floyd was called out by Williams, Cotto said he would fight him, as did some guys at 154....But what did Floyd do?........

Like i said he has a good resume and has taken the soft road since his days at 135.....He doesw not have the worst resume by far hell SRR had many soft opp on his resume and he is considered the best of all time....Then again he also fought the most dangerous around as well...

Of course because I don't blow smoke up Floyds ass I must be a Pacquiao fan or PacTard...Yet IMO Pacquiao and his catchweight fights are the worst thing for boxing and should be considered exhibitions not legit bouts

No wait now that makes me a PBF nuthugger right?.......
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that floyds resume even since becoming a Ww is awesome! Moseley, hatton(why don't people rate this win?), Oscar at 154 zab sure had lost but the fight was signed before the loss, baldomir ( bit throw away), jmm, other than PAC show me one active fighter at that weight with a better run than that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look love him or hate him. When you think boxing. You think either floyd or pac. Both are the shit, the best, whatever, and anyone saying anything different either hates one or the other or works for one of the camps.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

one thing for sure, as much controversial as he is, Floyd stirs interest and brings money on the table. I am definitely not fond of him, I think his resume is now very good instead of stellar because of his latest years but would he decide to challenge Pacman or another top opponent, it might well go to stellar.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

Floyd's resume

Hearns is without a doubt a Hall of Famer. The reason he ain't in is cuz he fought in early 06. So he just recently met the 5 years retire mark. He will be elected in to next years class. That's a guarantee.

Thread Information