Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Boy vs. Top Rank...Donaire signs with Golden boy.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Golden Boy vs. Top Rank...Donaire signs with Golden boy.

In the never ending fued between the two companies, Nonito Donaire has just signed with Golden Boy. Top Rank is saying is still has a valid contract w/Donaire and is going to take legal action. Looks like Donaire pulled the Pacquiao move, except went the other way.

Golden Boy signs Nonito Donaire away from Top Rank - ESPN

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golden Boy vs. Top Rank...Donaire signs with Golden boy.

I don't think there's a more ungrateful, disloyal fighter in Boxing today than Nonito Donaire. What he did to Shaw a couple of years ago was one of the worst betrayals ever. Now he's trying to get out of a what looks like a valid contract. Disgusting behavior

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he's made a big mistake. If what I read about what Arum said before hand, Donaire is basing the move an Arum breach of contract. I read his contract expires on June 26 and that Top Rank has the option to extend it another 12 months. The breach is supposedly that Arum hasn't gotten him more fights, but then Arum is saying the reason Donaire hasn't fought more is due to his "physical suspensions". I hope Donaire has his condition of his signing with GBP that they have to pickup any legal issue with Top Rank.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well he's just doing what his hero Pac did, which is sign 2 different contracts with different companies and then have it go to court.

I think he's made a big mistake, he's burning his bridges in the boxing world.That's the 2nd person he's fucked over.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't know how the whole contract thing work legally but it seems that it is possible, even if you sign a contract, to sign with another promoter and to get away with it, a bit like what happened between Golden Boy and Top Rank with the pacman. If I remember well and that the information I had was correct, Top Rank's contract with Pacquiao was expired when he did sign with Golden Boy and still, Arum has been able to roll him back in his stable, how's that? If it has been possible and that there is no funny clauses that I wasn't aware of, I think that Donaire might well be able to remain with Golden Boy.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Well he's just doing what his hero Pac did, which is sign 2 different contracts with different companies and then have it go to court.

I think he's made a big mistake, he's burning his bridges in the boxing world.That's the 2nd person he's fucked over.
    Pac was naive at the time and if I recall correctly he had Roach with him when he signed with Golden Boy. They settled with a mediator without going to trial and the promoters ended up splitting the profits, so it had to be a very complicated deal to figure out. The good thing for Pac is, it cost the promoters and not him.

Donaire grew up in the US and doesn't have the language and educational barrier to work through that Pac did, so if Donaire gets burned I won't have as much pity.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

Pac was naive at the time and if I recall correctly he had Roach with him when he signed with Golden Boy. They settled with a mediator without going to trial and the promoters ended up splitting the profits, so it had to be a very complicated deal to figure out. The good thing for Pac is, it cost the promoters and not him.

Donaire grew up in the US and doesn't have the language and educational barrier to work through that Pac did, so if Donaire gets burned I won't have as much pity.
    but if I recall, the split up is mainly on Top Rank's side, Golden boy touch a little something extra when Manny fights one of their guy or something like that, it was quite a ludicrous money deal for GBP
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he can betray his own family, then he can betray pretty much anyone.

He's a fine boxer. But he's a dick. And that's why he will not be love by his own people the way they loved Pacquiao.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

but if I recall, the split up is mainly on Top Rank's side, Golden boy touch a little something extra when Manny fights one of their guy or something like that, it was quite a ludicrous money deal for GBP
    It was 25% of the promoters Top Ranks profits, but I never read about how many fights that would happen. And yea! that is a pretty good deal. Only thing is they have no control over the reporting. Which I'm sure plays a big part of the keeping the final PPV numbers a secret.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donairre should have waited a year he'll earn 500K and 1M in his next 2 fights anyway. why rush it and risk complications.

The $1M signing bonus got him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miron_lang View Post
    Donairre should have waited a year he'll earn 500K and 1M in his next 2 fights anyway. why rush it and risk complications.

The $1M signing bonus got him.
    Thinking about this a little more, he could have taken that offer to Bob and said "Hey, this $1 Million is pretty cool, I don't think I can pass on it, they even offered protection from my contract with you and I think I have a pretty good case that I'm a free agent. So, what do you think?" That would force Bob to up the ante, while not burning his bridge. If he does, then he'd know Bob was bluffing on the "contract" He could have then gone back to the restaurant and see if GBP wants to bump up their offer. If they do ,then shit... that's a two year payday without even having throw a punch and if not his got a pretty good raise.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha it'll be funny if Donaire pulls this off on GBP just like how pac did. I see Donaire taking the $1 million dollar bonus and then I see Bob coming in and saying fuck that contract he will stay with Top Rank. Exactly how it happened with Pacquiao. At the end GBP gives up a million again but does not get the fighter from Top Rank.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    Haha it'll be funny if Donaire pulls this off on GBP just like how pac did. I see Donaire taking the $1 million dollar bonus and then I see Bob coming in and saying fuck that contract he will stay with Top Rank. Exactly how it happened with Pacquiao. At the end GBP gives up a million again but does not get the fighter from Top Rank.
    don't see how GBP got fucked in either situation, they get a cut from everything Pacquiao does, right now they're gonna make money off of Pacquiao/Mosley and Shane isn't even with GBP anymore so it wont be coming from that, if anything it worked out for the best cause they still get money from Pacquiao's fights and don't have to spend shit on promoting them hahaha

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    don't see how GBP got fucked in either situation, they get a cut from everything Pacquiao does, right now they're gonna make money off of Pacquiao/Mosley and Shane isn't even with GBP anymore so it wont be coming from that, if anything it worked out for the best cause they still get money from Pacquiao's fights and don't have to spend shit on promoting them hahaha
    They get hush money they dont get any credit or advertisement. Its like when a baby cries and you give it a treat to shut its crying.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    They get hush money they dont get any credit or advertisement. Its like when a baby cries and you give it a treat to shut its crying.
    all i know is that million signing bonus Pacquiao got, has been returned with interest haha, and it's only "hush money" because GBP was and well still is in all the right to sue since the one in the wrong doing was Pacquiao and his camp

Thread Information