Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How can I find a friend?

I've been living in this new town for three weeks now and I realise that I miss good old fashioned company. I simply don't have any friends. It hasn't been so bad when the wife has been here because she usually just nags me and I am grateful to have someone to argue with (oh how I love to exagerate ), but this week she went to her sisters hospital as she has injured her ankle and next week will spend two final weeks finishing up her notice on her office job in the other city. It's Thursday and my weekend has already begun and whilst I could read a book or kill Zombies on the Playstation, I realise that I am starved of human companionship. It wouldn't be so bad if I was in my old city as I could just call someone up or just head out on my own as I know where people go, but I don't know anyone here. I was so bored that I even did the washing up earlier and that is just weird behaviour.

I wouldn't mind going out on my own to a quiet pub looking for conversation, but that's a bit scary considering that this is a small town and I teach young adults. Where do young adults spend their time? That's right, in the pub. It would be awful to have one of my students see me having a beer alone in a pub. I would look like a right sad old git. I could just spend all my time online annoying you lot and entertaining Bilbo, but likewise typing away on the internet is not the same as having a proper conversation with another human being. After all, a lot of you are shapeshifters and it isn't even clear if some of you are actual people.

So, a simple thread. How can I find a friend?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How can I find a friend?

1-800-Call-A-Friend

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I might drive to the supermarket and see what's happening down there. Apparently they have some reasonably priced new Belgian beers in. I might do an Alan Partridge and ask one of the trolley pushers if he fancies a quiet pint.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you dance?

Don't know what you like to do except talk politics and religion with Bilbo.

Do you like to fish? Shoot pool. (Snooker)

Join a club. (RSL)

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know this is a really weird city. None of my favorite barbecued chicken restaurants do delivery and there aren't even any fast food chains. My old city had everything and even 3 McDonald's. This place has nothing...no burger king, no KFC, zilch. Absolutely nothing, so I can't even go and hang out there and get a bite to eat. I could go to my favourite barbecued chicken restaurant, but you don't really eat alone. The set up is for groups of people.

Sod it, I'm off to the supermarket. I quite like driving about anyway.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just how small is this town?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Do you dance?

Don't know what you like to do except talk politics and religion with Bilbo.

Do you like to fish? Shoot pool. (Snooker)

Join a club. (RSL)
    I've been married for too many years, so I can't really go out and dance. But I've never been much of a dancer anyway, I usually just sit and laugh at the dancers. Like I say, I wouldn't mind going to a pub, but I'm scared that a student will see me. I'm sure there are some foreigners in this city, but I just don't know where they go. There are some pool halls, but going there alone would be really weird. Usually I am quite fine living a semi-reclusive life, but I am usually always living with someone. Now I am on my own, I quite like it, but it feels extremely alien. Usually I have someone to listen to me, but it's odd having nobody there to listen.

The supermarket beckons! This is the life!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Just how small is this town?
    Bigger than most, but small for Korea. About 150,000 people. My last one was half a million and growing because of it's short distance to Seoul via high speed rail.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

emigrate ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Any US barracks around? Go to one of their digs and start chatting, be interesting.

Chess club? How about lawn bowls Miles? ten pin bowls, join a boxing gym.

Any parks where honeys walk dogs,dogs are good starting points.

A Library?

Are you near a beach? A mountain? A lake? A bush walk?

Where do tourists hang out? Any YHAs or budget accommodations? travelers always want to have a yak.

How about a drive back to your old town, it cant be that far away? fuk your country would fit clean up our countries ass, we did 210 ks today just for 4 hours work.

HAve a beer at home and ring a mate in England.

Ring me if you like

Ring Bilbo you can argue for hours.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I moved to a new place, I used to go to the local pubs. Have a couple of drinks and get a feel for the place, if i like the haunt, then try to get to know a few peeps, starting with bar tenders, then move onto the locals. It does help If ya like playing pool or darts, get the know locals through that and hey presto
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you still out asia way milo??

may i suggest due to recent events giving swimming lessons to the locals
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went to the supermarket and had a right old riot. I couldn't find a cash machine and had to ask this security type fellow where one was. He responded with remarkably good English and I was half tempted to ask him if he fancied a pint, but I thought better of that and went off looking for the foreign beers section where I had heard the variety of beers had been expanding and at a reasonable price. There was quite a lot on offer, I bought a few different sorts and will stay at home sampling them. I also bought a six pack of Sapporo beer in honour of those who have been lost in the earthquake/tsunami. Actually my little drive and walk about has alleviated some of my loneliness. I now have plenty of friends and they are all in liquid form. It's a good thing the wife isn't here as she would kill me for buying all these different beers.

Yeah, my looking for a friend thing is slightly tongue in cheek. I am hardly mr sociable the best of times and typically only go out about once a month anyway, but it would be nice to know someone who you can go out for the occasional beer with. Actually, I think I will just have some of these beers tonight and watch the cricket world cup on an illegal stream. Cricket and beer, it's all you need really. Who needs friends.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a very nice lake here actually. This is a smallish town completed surrounded by high, rolling mountains and there is a large lake right outside my window. I might check it out properly this weekend. I might even try to walk up one of the mountains. That could be a mistake though. No, I'm feeling much chirpier now.

El Kabong Guest

miles, why be self conscious about going out alone? People are more apt to talk to you if you're by yourself. Perhaps there is some civic group you could join...I am actually thinking of becoming a Freemason not because I lack friends, I just want to have a deeper connection to my community and expand the group of people I have connections with. I would also suggest going to church, but that might not be your cup of tea....perhaps finding a good coffee shop would suit you.

How old are your students btw?

Thread Information