Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How can I find a friend?

I've been living in this new town for three weeks now and I realise that I miss good old fashioned company. I simply don't have any friends. It hasn't been so bad when the wife has been here because she usually just nags me and I am grateful to have someone to argue with (oh how I love to exagerate ), but this week she went to her sisters hospital as she has injured her ankle and next week will spend two final weeks finishing up her notice on her office job in the other city. It's Thursday and my weekend has already begun and whilst I could read a book or kill Zombies on the Playstation, I realise that I am starved of human companionship. It wouldn't be so bad if I was in my old city as I could just call someone up or just head out on my own as I know where people go, but I don't know anyone here. I was so bored that I even did the washing up earlier and that is just weird behaviour.

I wouldn't mind going out on my own to a quiet pub looking for conversation, but that's a bit scary considering that this is a small town and I teach young adults. Where do young adults spend their time? That's right, in the pub. It would be awful to have one of my students see me having a beer alone in a pub. I would look like a right sad old git. I could just spend all my time online annoying you lot and entertaining Bilbo, but likewise typing away on the internet is not the same as having a proper conversation with another human being. After all, a lot of you are shapeshifters and it isn't even clear if some of you are actual people.

So, a simple thread. How can I find a friend?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How can I find a friend?

1-800-Call-A-Friend

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I might drive to the supermarket and see what's happening down there. Apparently they have some reasonably priced new Belgian beers in. I might do an Alan Partridge and ask one of the trolley pushers if he fancies a quiet pint.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you dance?

Don't know what you like to do except talk politics and religion with Bilbo.

Do you like to fish? Shoot pool. (Snooker)

Join a club. (RSL)

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Do you dance?

Join a club. (RSL)
    I've been married for too many years, so I can't really go out and dance. But I've never been much of a dancer anyway, I usually just sit and laugh at the dancers. Like I say, I wouldn't mind going to a pub, but I'm scared that a student will see me. I'm sure there are some foreigners in this city, but I just don't know where they go. There are some pool halls, but going there alone would be really weird. Usually I am quite fine living a semi-reclusive life, but I am usually always living with someone. Now I am on my own, I quite like it, but it feels extremely alien. Usually I have someone to listen to me, but it's odd having nobody there to listen.

The supermarket beckons! This is the life!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

emigrate ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you dance?

Join a club. (RSL)
    Why have you put (Snooker) after pool. Do you think what we call snooker you call pool?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Preme View Post
    Do you dance?

Join a club. (RSL)
    Why have you put (Snooker) after pool. Do you think what we call snooker you call pool?
    Nope, what i call pool is either 8 ball or 9 ball. Played on smaller tables with bigger balls.

Snooker is played on a bigger table with smaller balls.

As I am currently in Australia, where they make a point of clarifying which type of pool you are speaking about, it has become some what of a habit when talking to people from the Common Wealth to include the word (Snooker).

Ok?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know this is a really weird city. None of my favorite barbecued chicken restaurants do delivery and there aren't even any fast food chains. My old city had everything and even 3 McDonald's. This place has nothing...no burger king, no KFC, zilch. Absolutely nothing, so I can't even go and hang out there and get a bite to eat. I could go to my favourite barbecued chicken restaurant, but you don't really eat alone. The set up is for groups of people.

Sod it, I'm off to the supermarket. I quite like driving about anyway.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just how small is this town?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just how small is this town?
    Bigger than most, but small for Korea. About 150,000 people. My last one was half a million and growing because of it's short distance to Seoul via high speed rail.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I've been living in this new town for three weeks now and I realise that I miss good old fashioned company. I simply don't have any friends. It hasn't been so bad when the wife has been here because she usually just nags me and I am grateful to have someone to argue with (oh how I love to exagerate ), but this week she went to her sisters hospital as she has injured her ankle and next week will spend two final weeks finishing up her notice on her office job in the other city. It's Thursday and my weekend has already begun and whilst I could read a book or kill Zombies on the Playstation, I realise that I am starved of human companionship. It wouldn't be so bad if I was in my old city as I could just call someone up or just head out on my own as I know where people go, but I don't know anyone here. I was so bored that I even did the washing up earlier and that is just weird behaviour.

I wouldn't mind going out on my own to a quiet pub looking for conversation, but that's a bit scary considering that this is a small town and I teach young adults. Where do young adults spend their time? That's right, in the pub. It would be awful to have one of my students see me having a beer alone in a pub. I would look like a right sad old git. I could just spend all my time online annoying you lot and entertaining Bilbo, but likewise typing away on the internet is not the same as having a proper conversation with another human being. After all, a lot of you are shapeshifters and it isn't even clear if some of you are actual people.

Stop being a loser simple.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

I am a loser because I have moved to a completely new city and haven't met any friends in the few weeks that I have been here? Erm....okay....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

I am a loser because I have moved to a completely new city and haven't met any friends in the few weeks that I have been here? Erm....okay....
    With all the friends (enemies) you have here, what do you need more for?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Plain white envelope on the counter....wait...whaa

Thread Information