Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Khan vs McCloskey moved from Sky PPV to Sky Sports 3

Here's one of Khan's team talking about the split. I understand their gripe with being on skysports 3 and not skysports 1, because you don't get all the skysports channels in one package, some only have 1 and 4 or something. It does seem daft to not just suck it up and get on with it, sky is where the money's at in this country so if that affects future fights it might not be too good a move. Still I can't imagine it doing too well on Primetime. If sky aren't interested in showing Khan-Bradley that's stupidity on their part and I'd be disappointed, but as long as some broadcaster over here picks it up I'll pay for that one.

Team Khan on Sky Sports Split, Sky Says No To Bradley - Boxing News

Quote Originally Posted by boxingbantz View Post
    Khan's team are idiots. They got greedy and got what they deserved. They offered the fight to ITV but they turned it down so they've whored themselves off to Primetime. This is the stupidest thing his team could've down. Burning bridges with Sky, as they may well have done with the nonsense, is going to cost them millions in the future and I think they're going to regret it. They should fuck off Amir Khan and replace him with Carl Froch.
    I just don't get the move to Primetime. You hardly ever see their advertisements anywhere, unless people are following it closely they'll not know what's happened with it, it's hardly mainstream. Surely skysports 3, even it it has less viewers than skysports 1 would get better ratings than Primetime.

I hope they at least show Froch if they're cutting Khan off. It looks like they're interested in showing him, but they haven't announced whether they'll be showing the Johnson fight yet.

Speaking of Froch, he's got an autobiography coming out in a few weeks. I'd rather see him bring one out when he's retired cos he's going to be missing the end to the Super Six, sort of like Calzaghe's where it ends with him saying he'd never fight Roy Jones because he was old and it wouldn't be worth it. Fair play to him though, just cashing in like most other athletes have been doing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan's team are idiots. They got greedy and got what they deserved. They offered the fight to ITV but they turned it down so they've whored themselves off to Primetime. This is the stupidest thing his team could've down. Burning bridges with Sky, as they may well have done with the nonsense, is going to cost them millions in the future and I think they're going to regret it. They should fuck off Amir Khan and replace him with Carl Froch.
    Agreed. Anyways I've heard Khan's family are the ones that are doing all the business deals. Fighting McCloskey on PPV? Only Pac, Mayweather, and a select few can get away with fighting no names and bums on PPV. Khan and his team drastically underestimated this.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Agreed. Anyways I've heard Khan's family are the ones that are doing all the business deals. Fighting McCloskey on PPV? Only Pac, Mayweather, and a select few can get away with fighting no names and bums on PPV. Khan and his team drastically underestimated this.
    It has nothing to do with McCloskey. Sky approved him. They already started to promote the fight and had filmed Beyond The Ropes (their version of 24/7). It went all wrong because the undercard fell apart, it is currently utter toilet, and clearly they didn't deem the main event strong enough to warrant a PPV on it's own.
    Last edited by Fenster; 04-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amir should fight for free on ITV or BBC and get some real exposure. What a grade A tit he is becoming in this fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has anyone seen Khan do any promo for this fight other than on a Skysports boxing based show?

I haven't.

I think if you ask any caual fan, they won't even know this fight is hapoenig.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    It has nothing to do with McCloskey. Sky approved him. They already started to promote the fight and had filmed Beyond The Ropes (their version of 24/7). It went all wrong because the undercard fell apart, it is currently utter toilet, and clearly they didn't deem the main event strong enough to warrant a PPV on it's own.
    Oh it's a shit fight. When it only does 50 ppvs in advance sales.

Even Ricky Hatton’s high profile fight with Pacquaio registered just 300,000 pay-TV hits on Sky Box Office, while advance sales for this Khan-McCloskey bout had reached barely 50.

Read more: Sky TV pull plug on Amir Khan's title defence against Paul McCloskey | Mail Online
    Sky TV pull plug on Amir Khan's title defence against Paul McCloskey | Mail Online

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Which 50 twats paid for it already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I want to give my UK fans a chance to see me," said the WBA light-welterweight champion in a hastily arranged conference call, organised to announce Primetime TV's coverage of the bill.

"I could have gone back to America and fought there. I chose to come home and fight in front of my loyal fans who've followed me since the Olympics. I want to build my career in America but I did promise the UK fans I'd bring them a big fight. I'm doing this for my fan base. I'm not making as much as I did for my last few fights, but I'm doing it for them."
    So this has nothing to do with money but he switches it from Sky PPV because he is going to lose money with it not being on PPV. The guy is a fucking clown. He had won a lot of people around with his performance against Maidana but all of this bullshit is going to turn people off of him again.
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight for free on ITV. (it rhymes if you say it fast enough)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe it is a shit fight, but in that case, why is everyone blaming Team Khan for being greedy? Sky were happy to sell this fight PPV until a few days ago. It is not Khan's fault the undercard fucked up.

So.. this is all Sky's fault for greenlighting a "shit" fight in the first place. All Team Khan have done is take their fight from one PPV station to another.

If he earns more from the Primetime PPV than the £100,000 offer from Sky he wins. Simple as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe it is a shit fight, but in that case, why is everyone blaming Team Khan for being greedy? Sky were happy to sell this fight PPV until a few days ago. It is not Khan's fault the undercard fucked up.

So.. this is all Sky's fault for greenlighting a "shit" fight in the first place. All Team Khan have done is take their fight from one PPV station to another.

If he earns more from the Primetime PPV than the £100,000 offer from Sky he wins. Simple as.
    He was still going to earn £250k from Sky if he fought on Sky Sports 3.
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was still going to earn £250k from Sky if he fought on Sky Sports 3.
    But they are gambling they will earn more from Primetime. If they do they were justified in snubbing Sky's offer. If they don't then Team Khan have fucked up.

Either way, they couldn't have anticipated Sky were gonna pull the plug on the PPV, they had already started promoting, just a week before the fight.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: Khan vs McCloskey moved from Sky PPV to Sky Sports 3

The point being is that Khan's team overestimated his star appeal to sell the shit fight. Pac can get away with it in Clottey because he's an all out action star and top p4p. Haye can do it with Harrison because he has a charismatic persona and can call himself HW champ not to mentioned Harrison was an Gold winner at the olympics and is at least somewhat known to the UK public.

Khan doesn't have those things going for him to sell a fight on PPV agaisnt some d list fighter.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point being is that Khan's team overestimated his star appeal to sell the shit fight. Pac can get away with it in Clottey because he's an all out action star and top p4p. Haye can do it with Harrison because he has a charismatic persona and can call himself HW champ not to mentioned Harrison was an Gold winner at the olympics and is at least somewhat known to the UK public.

Khan doesn't have those things going for him to sell a fight on PPV agaisnt some d list fighter.
    err... () The fight is PPV. The fight will cost £15, exactly the same as if on Sky Box Office.

Quite simply - he has moved from one PPV station to another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, and one that will get him like 1/8 of the exposure and casual fans in that being on Sky would.
    I find it hard to believe that this Primetime deal will do him any favours in the long term for the Bradley fight. A free fight on Sky would have been the best advert for the big one.
    Anyone else think relations with Sky will be so damaged now that the Khan camp will be stubborn and stick with Primetime?

Thread Information