Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default [VIDEO] Young Boxer

I'm 17, and i basicly jus started boxin. Ive always liked boxin but never rlly got into it til this year . I first put on the gloves when i was about 12 or 13 in a little boxing match older people were unofficially hosting while on a trip to Dominican Republic. I knocked the kid out, and from there, i started to rlly like boxing. So wen i went back home to brooklyn ny, almost evry weekend my friends and i wuld put on gloves and start boxin in a basement, park, or behind warehouses. I wuld box older , and bigger kids than me to get a challenge . Now i go to this gym in Delaware , but im basicly almost on my own. There is only 1 trainer in the gym that i know of , and he comes once in a while. Theres another trainer that comes and he would help me but ive been told that hes not rlly a trainer. Anyway, the point is, i would like to know if any of you can give me some tips not only in training, but career too. Like what do i need to start getting fights, training routines, how to notice a good trainer from a bad one, etc. Basicly things that would help me in the future. I wouldnt say im the best, but im 110% determined to be the best. And one day i will.

Look at the vid and drop a comment please. Thank You

Please Copy & Paste since i cant post URL's yet;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJSftYMUyqc

Last edited by Saddo; 04-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: [VIDEO] Young Boxer

You look like you are going nowhere to me Randy.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well, i kinda did just start boxing. Thnks for the tip anyway. Ill try to keep that in my mind when im punching the bag, maybe ill punch even harder and faster, thnks.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bit harsh Al

OK a few things....

You might be better off posting this in the ask the trainer section.
    Lose the ponytail, they haven looked good since.....well they havent ever looked good.
    Address your right hand, watch the vid back, you'll see what I mean.
    I dont know what your surname is but with a name like Randy you HAVE to adopt the boxername 'Motherfucker'

Good work mate and good luck.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Further than you though ey?
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by randy93 View Post
    well, i kinda did just start boxing. Thnks for the tip anyway. Ill try to keep that in my mind when im punching the bag, maybe ill punch even harder and faster, thnks.
    I was only joking buddy , i couldnt open the link to be honest.
    best of luck with your boxing.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Bit harsh Al

OK a few things....

You might be better off posting this in the ask the trainer section.
    Lose the ponytail, they haven looked good since.....well they havent ever looked good.
    Address your right hand, watch the vid back, you'll see what I mean.
    I dont know what your surname is but with a name like Randy you HAVE to adopt the boxername 'Motherfucker'

Good work mate and good luck.
    thnkyou Memphis! also, i cant lose the ponytail jus yet, . . the girls out here in new york love it, and yea, i know. My name sucks, but its not the name that makes someone a good boxer
    - I watched the vid again, and i see what your talking about, thnks for pointing that out for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Further than you though ey?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by randy93 View Post
    I was only joking buddy , i couldnt open the link to be honest.
    best of luck with your boxing.
    oh okay, thnkyou al!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only gym I frequent is a hvy bag swinging in the house so good for you. Ya look to lead with your head a bit, square...that said I'd make you a 20-1 bet over Charlie Z and Thunder already. Keep at it. And your name kicks ass. Pony tail, ehh

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your feet are all messed up- too far apart. As a result you slap a lot with your punches and, as somebody mentioned, you throw your right hand all wrong. First, don't lift your elbow up and aim the punch. Shoot it and keep the elbow down so as not to telegraph it. Second, punch through the target, not hit it and stop.
    The big problem is your footwork. Especially that thing where you lean all your weight onto your left foot and throw all your punches from there. The weight has to go back onto the right foot when you hook, to enable you to follow through properly. Plus, you can then turn properly on your right hand. What you are doing also makes you easy to hit-you can't move with all your weight on the front foot.
    Towards the end you tried to hit the bag with a series of punches and really had to square up to do it- again, your feet were too far apart. Try that same thing with your feet under your shoulders, and stand so that your elbows are nearly touching your hips. Moving slow, turn your wt onto your left foot9which should now be flat on the floor and pointed at the bag) the turn your hips and shoulders(by pivoting on the ball of your right foot), which will drive your right fist into the bag. Now drop your weight onto your right foot (so it is flat on the floor and at a 90 angle tothe bag) and pivot (on the ball of your left foot) to turn your hips and shoulders to the right, driving your left fist into the bag. Do it over and over again picking up the speed until you get the feeling for it. The same principle works for all punches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Only gym I frequent is a hvy bag swinging in the house so good for you. Ya look to lead with your head a bit, square...that said I'd make you a 20-1 bet over Charlie Z and Thunder already. Keep at it. And your name kicks ass. Pony tail, ehh
    thnkyou Spicoli! + im cutting it on my 21st birthday . 4 years from now i guess. I really like it though because i dont really see boxers with ponytails - i like to be unique, and stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Your feet are all messed up- too far apart. As a result you slap a lot with your punches and, as somebody mentioned, you throw your right hand all wrong. First, don't lift your elbow up and aim the punch. Shoot it and keep the elbow down so as not to telegraph it. Second, punch through the target, not hit it and stop.
    The big problem is your footwork. Especially that thing where you lean all your weight onto your left foot and throw all your punches from there. The weight has to go back onto the right foot when you hook, to enable you to follow through properly. Plus, you can then turn properly on your right hand. What you are doing also makes you easy to hit-you can't move with all your weight on the front foot.
    Towards the end you tried to hit the bag with a series of punches and really had to square up to do it- again, your feet were too far apart. Try that same thing with your feet under your shoulders, and stand so that your elbows are nearly touching your hips. Moving slow, turn your wt onto your left foot9which should now be flat on the floor and pointed at the bag) the turn your hips and shoulders(by pivoting on the ball of your right foot), which will drive your right fist into the bag. Now drop your weight onto your right foot (so it is flat on the floor and at a 90 angle tothe bag) and pivot (on the ball of your left foot) to turn your hips and shoulders to the right, driving your left fist into the bag. Do it over and over again picking up the speed until you get the feeling for it. The same principle works for all punches.
    thnks alot grey for taking your time to write! I rlly appreciate it. - I'll write this down for the next time im in the gym i can use wat youve said and practice, again, thnkyou

+also, i recorded the video after the real workout, (jogging, double-end bag, heavybag, speedbag etc.)

Thread Information