Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Big an Advantage Is Freddie Roach?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Big an Advantage Is Freddie Roach?

IamInuit's post on Bertos corner got me thinking. How many first class trainers are left in the sport and does Freddie Roach in particular provide his fighters with a major advantage?

I am persuaded training boxers is almost always learned as an apprenticeship, so the pedigree of a trainer often says something.

I think Freddie is the last of the Eddie Futch line of trainers.
    I don't think any Ray Arcel/Whitey Bimstein/Charley Goldman disciples are left.
    No Jack Blackburn disciples left.
    I suppose Sweet Pea is a disciple of Lou Duva although I don't really know how active he is as a trainer.
    Buddy McGirt is the only Al Certo disciple I can think of.
    Nacho Beristain is the only Cuyo Hernandez disciple I know of.
    Manny Stewart is mostly self-taught.
    Teddy Atlas is the only disciple of Cus even remotely active I believe.

How many other current trainers learned at the foot of a great?

I think the answer is not many and maybe not any. I am happy to be corrected on this assertion.

When I grew up watching and learning the sport (began around 1970) it seemed like every time I watched a fight there were legends in each corner. Arcel vs Dundee or Futch vs Hernandez or Duva vs Clancy. Now it often seems like one stud trainer against an overwhelmed guy, or two overwhelmed guys.

I think Freddie Roach learned from the best of the best and offers his fighters a relative advantage over their foes few others have ever brought. Am I nuts?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Big an Advantage Is Freddie Roach?

I like Freddie. If nothing else he makes his fighters feel like winners. It has to be good for their confidence.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he can get hold of some crackin gear
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A couple things. Emanuel Stewart is not selftaught. In fact, most of the things that, early in his career, Emanuel got credit for were actually the work of Bill Miller. Also I don't buy into the whole "Cus is great" trip, but that's merely by personal bias.
    Freddy Roach is a good guy- very friendly- but I always figured he "trained" guys that were finished product when he got them. But I sat down and watched Pacquiao fights the other night and he has improved sooo much under Roach.
    The problem I see is that there are so few true teachers anymore- so many guys are so lacking in fundamentals. It is hard to be polished if there's nothing to work with.
    Think on this for a second. DeLaHoya was trained by Jesus (Jose?) Rivero- he went 8-0 with 6kos (Gonzalez, 41-0, and Whitaker went the distance) and was truly becoming a great fighter. He switched to Emanuel Stewart and then Gil Clancy (RIP)and they totally messed him up. Roach didn't help him at all either.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Big advantage. Not many have access to the steroids and Peds Roach be getting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    A couple things. Emanuel Stewart is not selftaught. In fact, most of the things that, early in his career, Emanuel got credit for were actually the work of Bill Miller. Also I don't buy into the whole "Cus is great" trip, but that's merely by personal bias.
    Freddy Roach is a good guy- very friendly- but I always figured he "trained" guys that were finished product when he got them. But I sat down and watched Pacquiao fights the other night and he has improved sooo much under Roach.
    The problem I see is that there are so few true teachers anymore- so many guys are so lacking in fundamentals. It is hard to be polished if there's nothing to work with.
    Think on this for a second. DeLaHoya was trained by Jesus (Jose?) Rivero- he went 8-0 with 6kos (Gonzalez, 41-0, and Whitaker went the distance) and was truly becoming a great fighter. He switched to Emanuel Stewart and then Gil Clancy (RIP)and they totally messed him up. Roach didn't help him at all either.
    Freddy's work with Manny has been near magical. The improvements Manny has made in his right hand, his footwork and his balance have been staggering for a guy who already had been a pro for a decade. Something I had never seen before. Your point on the lack of true teachers is right on point.

Thanks for the correction on Manny Stewart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just ask Oscar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roach is clearly very knowledgable and an expert, but I can't help but wonder how long it will be until his illness becomes a detriment to his training.

No fault of his own, but it is a very severe and nasty illness. It must be much more difficult for him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll take a shot at this one knowing that ex-fighters know first hand about the pain and when they change from fighter to trainer, identifying with his fighter is easy and he sees mistakes more clearly because those mistakes are sometimes the same ones he made and he tries to make his fighters learn from his mistakes.

El Kabong Guest

Kevin Rooney was taught by Cus just like Atlas. He just hasn't had the talent coming to him which is part of what makes Roach and Manny good trainers.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roach actually watches the opponent as well as his charge. A rarity. One of the last of a kind really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chemistry is an important factor in any team that goes on to be successful. People don't realize how special the chemistry is with Roach and Pac. 2 guys that have unlimited passion for the sport one to teach and the other to continuously master his craft and be the best in the world.
    Roach has improved Manny in so many areas. Pac has shortened his right hook so perfectly. It is the one weapon that made him relative vs the true welters like Cotto and Margarito. He knocked down Cotto with it and hurt Margarito with it more than any other punch. Zab Judah put Floyd's glove on the canvas from a long right hook no wonder he wants no part of Manny.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my Roger Mayweather voice, "Motherfucker don't know shit about boxing. What has the motherfucker done in his boxing career? He ain't done shit thats what motherfucker. Motherfucker is a homosection."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: How Big an Advantage Is Freddie Roach?

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    IamInuit's post on Bertos corner got me thinking. How many first class trainers are left in the sport and does Freddie Roach in particular provide his fighters with a major advantage?

I am persuaded training boxers is almost always learned as an apprenticeship, so the pedigree of a trainer often says something.

I think Freddie is the last of the Eddie Futch line of trainers.
    I don't think any Ray Arcel/Whitey Bimstein/Charley Goldman disciples are left.
    No Jack Blackburn disciples left.
    I suppose Sweet Pea is a disciple of Lou Duva although I don't really know how active he is as a trainer.
    Buddy McGirt is the only Al Certo disciple I can think of.
    Nacho Beristain is the only Cuyo Hernandez disciple I know of.
    Manny Stewart is mostly self-taught.
    Teddy Atlas is the only disciple of Cus even remotely active I believe.

How many other current trainers learned at the foot of a great?

I think the answer is not many and maybe not any. I am happy to be corrected on this assertion.

When I grew up watching and learning the sport (began around 1970) it seemed like every time I watched a fight there were legends in each corner. Arcel vs Dundee or Futch vs Hernandez or Duva vs Clancy. Now it often seems like one stud trainer against an overwhelmed guy, or two overwhelmed guys.

I think Freddie Roach learned from the best of the best and offers his fighters a relative advantage over their foes few others have ever brought. Am I nuts?
    I guess it's a matter of opinion if it's a big advantage having Freddie Roach as your trainer, Roach's critics for example might say that Pacquiao would be great with or with or without him. I'd like to think that Freddie is something very special as a trainer, and he's proven that time and time again. Whether Roach is solid old school, just a great instructor, or simply has the ability to get the best out of his charges, he's able to get results, and that's what really counts and makes him one of the best trainers in the world.

BTW Marble, make no mistake about it, you are nuts, but it has nothing to do with the fact that you know a hell of a lot about boxing. (j/k bro, cheers)
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 04-19-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    In my Roger Mayweather voice, "Motherfucker don't know shit about boxing. What has the motherfucker done in his boxing career? He ain't done shit thats what motherfucker. Motherfucker is a homosection."
    Good stuff bulldog, this cracked me up, I do think you could have used motherfucker a few more times, i'm sure Roger would have.

Thread Information