Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Getting Flustered

I have a big problem when fighting scrappy people who just come forward swinging. I know I should take centre sit with the back hand, or pivot off with the right hook etc and take control. I practiced it a lot, was doing it in sparring, then came to the fight and everything went out the window, I was going back in straight lines getting caught on the ropes. Getting flustered and out of breath. Has anyone got any idea of how I could do with this? It's gotta be in my head, is it nerves? I don't feel nervous before-hand? Any help would be great thanks

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Getting Flustered

Probably just nerves, getting excited, and forgetting to breath. There's two things that come to mind when you talk of going straight back. First, your feet are still sloppy and too far apart and thus that first, long step ends up being straight back. Second, its a lack of repetitons which only time will cure.
    Next time you shadow box, visualize nothing but one of these bothersome opponents and box him 3 fast round in the mirror. Don't worry so much about punching, but as to how you move your feet. You can get in 15 rounds a week training your mind to react that way.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

focus.
    When I used to spar there was one guy - I think got a kick out of trying to hit me, but that's another story - because I had a respectful dig I would trade and he would look to swarm.

When I made the mental decision that I was being dumb trying to be tough, I boxed smart. I got on my bike, jab & move, gave him angles so he didnt have time to load up and made life MUCH easier for myself.

Dunno if it helps but imagine how Mayweather fights (or used to) and be him. How did Tyson fight - be that. I found it useful to work on different styles on the bag and in the ring.

for eg one round in and out on the bag jab only move round light on your fight and in again.

I liked to train with a structure. I knew I could get flat footed so I trained to be lighter and move. Doesn't shift your natural tendency but gives you options

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great couple of posts above me here, do that first.

You could think interruption of their movement too if you are being swarmed and over run, As you imagine them coming (when shadow boxing) you can even control that elbow point of their lead arm briefly as you are side stepping, imagine their reaction and be there in range and punching as your feet take you there (to where you know they will turn to find you). Small shifts that put you in the safest spot, small angled steps and then slips or controlled attacks around their reactions to you.

IF you go straight back as a reaction they don't have to change a thing, you do,because you have given them the easy way. So you have to be smart and give yourself room which gives you time. Angles buy time and interruptions of their movements buy time, because they have to readjust.

IF you feel those ropes on your back, bend at he waist sit in them by taking a foot back as you squat, use it to go under his lead arm as he throws it,go to the outside side of his arm by pulling your rear foot thats under the ropes around behind your lead foot and stay there, dont run away. You are on the outside of his arm throw a bomb over his lead arm after you have hooked him low and his arm comes down. You can get out that same side by even remaining in the same stance with flexed legs and just shuffle step out; but you'll be angeled facing away from him. If you can do it by giving your self room pulling a foot around behind your lead foot you have switched stance out from in there and are instantly still facing him but he isnt facing you any more so you adjust your stance and throw the bomb in right there at his side. Square up as he adjusts still throwing both hands then get back to stance still in control of him.

Also, mentally, if you are being swarmed and over run, an internal smile to yourself that you recognize this shit, enjoy it and know how to deal with it, sometimes helps to relax you more into the moment too.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawwolves View Post
    I have a big problem when fighting scrappy people who just come forward swinging. I know I should take centre sit with the back hand, or pivot off with the right hook etc and take control. I practiced it a lot, was doing it in sparring, then came to the fight and everything went out the window, I was going back in straight lines getting caught on the ropes. Getting flustered and out of breath. Has anyone got any idea of how I could do with this? It's gotta be in my head, is it nerves? I don't feel nervous before-hand? Any help would be great thanks

Your problem is your moving in a straight line with them. When they come forward jab move to your left and throw a straight right then left hook. do it again second time switch it up throw jab then move right, hook. lateral movement will work vs the wild swingers.
    Last edited by DogTheBountyHunter; 04-21-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Thread Information