Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: What was Tyson's biggest win ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was Mike Tyson's greatest win ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What was Mike Tyson's greatest win ?

I've often wondered this myself. I think knocking out Larry Holmes was his greatest triumph.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What was Mike Tyson's greatest win ?

Geepers if KOing a 37 year old Holmes who hadn't fought in 18 months was his biggest win? Doesn't say a lot does it? Not saying you're wrong, just that that's not much of a biggest win when discussing great fighters.

I think most would say Mike Spinks. Yeah he was a blown up 175, but he WAS the lineal heavy champ. Tony Tucker deserves a mention. A fine heavyweight.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Geepers if KOing a 37 year old Holmes who hadn't fought in 18 months was his biggest win? Doesn't say a lot does it? Not saying you're wrong, just that that's not much of a biggest win when discussing great fighters.

I think most would say Mike Spinks. Yeah he was a blown up 175, but he WAS the lineal heavy champ. Tony Tucker deserves a mention. A fine heavyweight.
    Yeh agreed on Tucker. Together with Ruddock was probably the best fighter Tyson fought (and I mean taking all factors, including stage of their careers)

Tyrell Biggs was a good win. With hindsight he doesn't look 'all that' but I think Tyson ruined him. Before that fight there was a lot of hype about Biggs and what he may achieve.

Spinks will be the one everybody remembers, but Spinks didn't turn up for that fight, so I don't count it.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would have to say either Sammy Scaff or Donnie Long , both were close to being ATG'S.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spinks, destroyed him at his best and last fight with Rooney, all down hill from there. Married to a money grabber who fakes pregnancies and a mother in law from hell, sucked in by King who gets rid of Rooney and brings in people who know very little about Boxing and who massaged Tyson's ego. not that I am bitter or anything, for ruining a potentially great heavyweight champion.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Spinks, destroyed him at his best and last fight with Rooney, all down hill from there. Married to a money grabber who fakes pregnancies and a mother in law from hell, sucked in by King who gets rid of Rooney and brings in people who know very little about Boxing and who massaged Tyson's ego. not that I am bitter or anything, for ruining a potentially great heavyweight champion.
    Rooney actually said that Mike made alot of mistakes in that fight but obviously Spinks was never going to be able to capitalise.

Steve Lott says the best he saw of Mike was in a charity exhibition with James Tillis. He said he was relaxed and showed more of the form he did in the gym.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny, I recently rewatched the Holmes fight. I recall there being very little hype for that fight and few gave Holmes a shot.

But looking back, I wonder why that is. I mean, obviously Holmes was past his prime but he was not terriably so. A lot of people thought he won his last fight against Spinks so he had never been defeated in a convincing manner.

So we are left with an aging, somewhat past his prime HOFer with top-level HW boxing skills vs a young KO artist. I would've thought there would be more than a few thinking Larry could pull one out.

But Tyson's rep at the time was off the charts unbeatable. And dominate he did. Larry had maybe 30 seconds of dancing and outjabbing Tyson. The rest was all Mike.

Tyson's career ended badly but people forget how dominant he was. Well, we do remember but often we qualify that with the notion that he no competition. No Hearns to his Hagler. But maybe he did have competion, namely a HOFer Holmes and and an undefeated Spinks. He was just so good we assumed they were worse at the time than they were.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Rooney actually said that Mike made alot of mistakes in that fight but obviously Spinks was never going to be able to capitalise.

Steve Lott says the best he saw of Mike was in a charity exhibition with James Tillis. He said he was relaxed and showed more of the form he did in the gym.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    A lot of mistakes in 93 seconds. Yes he probably did but it was his best victory and if it went further the cracks may have appeared but his life was unravelling and Rooney said he did not turn up for training some days. Just imagine if everything stayed the same, Tyson could have been the greatest or at least one of the greatest ever.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta be Trevor berbick for me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lets face it Tyson was around when the division was a sham but he cleaned the mess up with a menace and hunger which will be remembered forever

best win was against Berbick

job biscuit (tyson was like a flame but burnt out)!!!

eh eh!!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Otley View Post
    Lets face it Tyson was around when the division was a sham but he cleaned the mess up with a menace and hunger which will be remembered forever

best win was against Berbick

job biscuit (tyson was like a flame but burnt out)!!!

eh eh!!!
    So was Dempsey, Marciano, Liston, Holmes and The Klits.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Spinks - but took me a while to decide betwen that and Mcneeley
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've not read this thread yet, but to be honest it's got to be winning the title off berbick. I no he probably wasnt ths strongest opponent tyson faced, but has got to be the best win in his carreef surely

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Berbick was quite dominant himself, he had that belt for ages.
    At the end of the day regardless of the lack of competition in Tyson era but he did crush everyone and busts Douglas fought his heart out due to his 11 year old son being ringside and his wife dying a week before hand so he had something to fight for.
    The klitschkos are crushing everyone and up and coming prospects.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony Tucker - who was a big (6'6") athletic and skilled fighter - a bit of a prototype Lewis/Klitschko if you ask me. This was the fight where Tyson became the undisputed champ, and showed stamina, patience, a concrete chin and a good amount of underrated boxing skill.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information