Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would A Prime ODLH Have Beaten Manny Pacquiao ?

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Would A Prime ODLH Have Beaten Manny Pacquiao ?

I was just watching some ODLH fights again, and i was just wondering how he would of done against Manny Pacquiao in his prime. I personally think he would of won, ODLH had enough power, speed, movement, chin, and boxing skill to beat Manny Pacquiao.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would A Prime ODLH Have Beaten Manny Pacquiao ?

Pacquiao still hasn't faced anyone like a prime DLH, and everyone he's beaten at 140 up DLH would have handled just as easy IMO (Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, and Margarito), his chin was as solid as they come, he had good power and was always dangerous, his speed at 147 was just as good and he was technically superior to Pacquiao, he's naturally bigger than Pacquiao and if he wasn't weight drained he'd use his size advantage catching Manny every time Manny would miss, IMO DLH would win a UD something like 8 rounds to 4 or he'd stop him late, somewhere around the 8th or 9th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think prime Oscar would beat prime Pacquiao.

Prime Pacquiao is better than the old, past-his-prime version of Whitaker that Oscar struggled with.

I'm not an Oscar hater, but he was losing big fights even at his peak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No ODLH in his prime would not have beaten Pacquiao. By "technically superior" I think you mean "more conventional". The different angles Manny uses when he attacks and his ability to throw punches from everywhere combined with his freakish balance and speed are what make Pacquiao so special. He is an original, not an imitator so he is hard to gauge what his effectiveness would be or would have been against more conventional fighters. I would say Whitaker and Pep were similar in that regard (although Whitaker was obviously far superior defensively).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post
    No ODLH in his prime would not have beaten Pacquiao. By "technically superior" I think you mean "more conventional". The different angles Manny uses when he attacks and his ability to throw punches from everywhere combined with his freakish balance and speed are what make Pacquiao so special. He is an original, not an imitator so he is hard to gauge what his effectiveness would be or would have been against more conventional fighters. I would say Whitaker and Pep were similar in that regard (although Whitaker was obviously far superior defensively).
    i mean that DLH in his prime had a great jab, and he would have kept it in Pacquiao's face, Cotto showed in the early rounds that the jab can easily disrupt Pacquiao's flow of punches, he's too open for a guy who was a great combination puncher, IMO even the DLH that beat Vargas would have beaten Manny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prime Oscar would of won a hard fought UD. Oscar would of worked behind the jab and timing Pac as he comes in. DLH wouldnt of stood there and let Manny back him up he would of moved around on the back foot while Pac unloads not just stand there like he did when they fought. Manny would have his moments in the fight but Prime for Prime Oscar takes a close fight imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

without a doubt.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At 147, I think "Yes"
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post

Prime Pacquiao is better than the old, past-his-prime version of Whitaker that Oscar struggled with.

Sorry i disagree totally, Pernell Whitaker is a totally different fighter to Manny Pacquiao. Yes there both Southpaw's but thats where the similarities end.

Pernell Whitaker is ridiculously slick and the problems he gave ODLH, Manny Pacquiao wouldn't give him. I mean Hector Camacho was a good Southpaw, and ODLH totally dominated him.

And in ODLH's close decision losses, he should of got the nod over both Mosley 2, Trinidad. And even in his close wins they wern't robberies, well the Felix Sturm one was borderline, but ODLH was out of shape and was no Middleweight.

ODLH was also 5'10 fast/strong, could Manny Pacquiao have handled the power ? just imagine if ODLH's famous left hook landed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post

Sorry i disagree totally, Pernell Whitaker is a totally different fighter to Manny Pacquiao. Yes there both Southpaw's but thats where the similarities end.

Pernell Whitaker is ridiculously slick and the problems he gave ODLH, Manny Pacquiao wouldn't give him. I mean Hector Camacho was a good Southpaw, and ODLH totally dominated him.

And in ODLH's close decision losses, he should of got the nod over both Mosley 2, Trinidad. And even in his close wins they wern't robberies, well the Felix Sturm one was borderline, but ODLH was out of shape and was no Middleweight.

ODLH was also 5'10 fast/strong, could Manny Pacquiao have handled the power ? just imagine if ODLH's famous left hook landed.
    also dont forget that he also used to use the double jab constantly mix it up, 2 jabs up top or he'd jab to the head then to the body, IMO Pacquiao would have been lost in what to do and when to lunge in

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yup. Oscar at 135 would have defeated the Manny who fought at 135 and under, Manny wasn't yet technically proficient and over 135 I think Oscar's size and skill would have been too much.

But I really think the question is a bit unfair. Manny is, by today's standards, really a 135. Oscar peaked at 147.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the ODLH that was ROBBED against Tito would have beaten Pac. Not a dig at Pac as Naturally Oscar was quite a bit bigger!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Teddy Atlas once said about Oscar De La Hoya, "He finds a way to screw up his big fights and lose." I have Pac beating him just on that. Against All Time Great fighters that were in their prime or still had something he finds a way to mess it up even with everything in his favor.

That's what history said. So a prime Oscar loses to prime Manny based on that.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe ODH could have won the fight but blow it away by running the last few rounds.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prime Oscar and Prime Mosley both whip Pacquaio. Both were far bigger men, with tremendous talent and power. Elite athletes.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information