Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sore arms

Sounds general doesn't it?
    In any event, I'm 5'10" at 150lbs. I've been sparring and hitting the bag with 14oz gloves. I'm a novice in the world of boxing.
    After a session of hard work sometimes it feels like the bones in my arms are gettign sore, granted massaging the muscles feels damn good. I'd say its a dull pain from about three inches from behind the wrist to about three inches down from the center of my shoulder. Any one else experience this? Should I be worried about my tendons or should I continue believing my bones are just getting more dense? Know remedies?
    Today when I got home after sparring I filled my sink with cold water (I'm in AK and the water is very cold here), sat in a chair in front of it and just let my arms soak. Seemed to work well.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sore arms

Is there anybody there showing you how to do this properly? Are you in a boxing gym or a health-club? I've seen people in health clubs hitting heavy bags in a way designed to tear up shoulders and arms and wrists because the people 'training' them think you just go ahead and whale away.
    When you punch your wrists have to remain straight, and you don't want to be hitting with your arms. That puts a lot of strain on your shoulders. It is also not a good idea to hit the bag as it swings towards you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes. I've got a friend from Hawaii who trained all through highschool and growing up. The two of us help each other out holding mitts or keeping time for heavy bag/speed bag rounds. He's not a trainer, but taking what he knows and combining it with the videos I've watched and the books I've read it would be hard for me to be gettign it wrong. I do shadow box and I feel very self aware as far as being able to feel whether or not I executed something correctly.
    I have no real boxing gym available unfortunatley. I'm also not doing this as a part of a health club or for some sort of boxing based fitness program. There is a recreation center on the island where people spar twice a week. Some people show up just try to beat people up but they dont ever last long. There is about four or five guys who show up consistently who have had prior training of some sort. Some have boxing experience some have mma. basically we all do the best we can with what knowledge we can put together.
    I do get alot of complements on my progress and on my form, so I'm not so sure If that would be it. And 'd say the only person who wants to make progress nearly as much as I do would be my hawaiin friend chad

Oh, and as far as hitting the bag when coming towards you, I realise thats a bad practice. I typically try to use those oppurtunities to sidestep the bag and hook into its direction rather than against its direction.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mean no disrespect to your friend, but is it possible maybe he was trained wrong? Before jumping to any conclusions, there is a lot of information missing and I think it really comes down to someone who is professionally trained to work with you and see if the problem is in technique. Beyond that, I recall people who had bone trouble because they were using supplements that were actually causing their bones to soften. Bottom line...if you are hurting yourself....stop it before you really do some damage that can't be repaired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know you mean no disrespect and if I were in your perspective I would probably have considered the same thing, but I don't believe he was trained wrong. I'm not too easily impressed, not to say that I'm any major authority on who's great, but Chad looks good. Sure, he has the things he needs to work on, but as far basic punching technique I think he's got it down. It's too bad you can't see him and judge for yourself though..

I've been doing alot of poking around and have come across some mentioning of the possibility of hyperextending the elbows when reaching out. That sounds like it could be my problem. Everyone I spar with, save for two, are taller than me and have a longer reach. I often find myself punching alot of air before I can get inside...

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Great name there", Doc Holiday" I had his real photo by my name for years you'll find it in the Av picture vault if you look around if not Ill send to you if you want. Be good next the name.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hey Great name there", Doc Holiday" I had his real photo by my name for years you'll find it in the Av picture vault if you look around if not Ill send to you if you want. Be good next the name.
    Hah thanks. I googled for a photo, but if the one you've got is different you're more than welcome to send it over

Actually, it turns out I don't have permission to edit it yet :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DocHoliday View Post
    Yes. I've got a friend from Hawaii who trained all through highschool and growing up. The two of us help each other out holding mitts or keeping time for heavy bag/speed bag rounds. He's not a trainer, but taking what he knows and combining it with the videos I've watched and the books I've read it would be hard for me to be gettign it wrong. I do shadow box and I feel very self aware as far as being able to feel whether or not I executed something correctly.
    I have no real boxing gym available unfortunatley. I'm also not doing this as a part of a health club or for some sort of boxing based fitness program. There is a recreation center on the island where people spar twice a week. Some people show up just try to beat people up but they dont ever last long. There is about four or five guys who show up consistently who have had prior training of some sort. Some have boxing experience some have mma. basically we all do the best we can with what knowledge we can put together.
    I do get alot of complements on my progress and on my form, so I'm not so sure If that would be it. And 'd say the only person who wants to make progress nearly as much as I do would be my hawaiin friend chad

Oh, and as far as hitting the bag when coming towards you, I realise thats a bad practice. I typically try to use those oppurtunities to sidestep the bag and hook into its direction rather than against its direction.
    shoot some video and post it up, too hard to try and help you by reading text. If you're wrists are hurting, it could be 1 of 2 things, or a combination of both. Bad form when hitting the bags, OR, lack of calcium/bad bones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by carpetrepairhouston View Post

shoot some video and post it up, too hard to try and help you by reading text. If you're wrists are hurting, it could be 1 of 2 things, or a combination of both. Bad form when hitting the bags, OR, lack of calcium/bad bones.

That sounds reasonable enough. I just have to get my hands on a camera. I'll see if I can borrow one. No promises on time, but hopefully I'll be able to get a video up.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hah thanks. I googled for a photo, but if the one you've got is different you're more than welcome to send it over

HAha Im a hero, first time Ive managed to that for someone else :-)

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HAha Im a hero, first time Ive managed to that for someone else :-)

LOL, wow, cool. Thanks man

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No worries mate, I put a different pic of him for your profile page too.

I can explain it.

Thread Information