My pic's are as followed:
    GSP-unanimous decision
    Jose Aldo-KO round 3/4
    Brilz-unanimous decision
    Randy Couture-unanimous decision
    Ben Henderson-TKO round 3
    Nate Diaz-split decision
    Jake Ellenberger-unanimous decision

Your guys pic's? I pumped for this card its going to be awesome!

Also could we make this a sticky thread so we can keep doing predictions? Just a thought.
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

St-Pierre vs. Shields:
    Shields by sub, 5th
    Aldo vs. Hominick:
    Aldo by TKO on the ground, 3rd
    Matyushenko vs. Brilz:
    Brilz by UD
    Couture vs. Machida:
    Couture by UD, or Machida by KO
    Boceck vs. Henderson:
    Bendo by UD/late sub
    Diaz vs. Macdonald:
    Diaz by UD

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Predictions?

GSP vs Shields
    -this is a real tough one but I'm going out on a limb and taking Shields with a SD
    Aldo vs Hominick
    -Aldo 3rd TKO
    Matuyshenko vs Brilz
    -Brilz UD
    Couture vs Machida
    -I'm getting nostalgic here but Randy by 3rd round TKO from vicious ground and pound
    Bocek vs Henderson
    -Henderson by 2nd rd sub
    Diaz vs Macdonald
    - Mcdonald with a very controversial SD
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GSP tko 1
    Aldo KO 3
    Brilz UD
    Machida TKO 2
    Henderson UD
    Diaz sub 2
    Ellenberger SD

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Georges St-Pierre vs. Jake Shields: GSP KO 3, he has the power and talent to do it, off with the UD.

José Aldo vs. Mark Hominick: Aldo should win but somehow, I see an upset here, just guts feeling so I'll say Hominick by UD.

Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz: Brilz UD

Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida:
    Machida by KO

Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson:
    I'd say Henderson via UD

Nate Diaz vs. Rory Macdonald: McDonald by some kind of freak sub

Sean Pierson vs. Jake Ellenberger: Ellenberger UD
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone should have reminded Jake that his stand up sucks. Seriously all respect to GSP but what was Jake's gameplan? I'm going to outbox the guy?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I fully admit that I'm a GSP hater (because he's incredibly boring) but I still think he's a bit overrated. An elite guy obviously but when has he fought a good, technical striker with good takedown defense? Outside of Penn (who arguably beat him once) and was at a serious size/strength disadvantage.

Hardy was taken down at will by Anthony Johnson. Thiago Alves is a good fighter but not an elite guy. Koshchek has power but isn't really a great striker. Fitch is an incredibly boring lay and pray guy. Serra? Seriously? Hughes, great wrestler, but not much of a striker. Shields is limited as a striker.

I'm totally biased cause I dislike him so much (and not extraordinarily knowledgeable as far as MMA goes ) but I just think he'd have problems with a real good striker with good takedown defense. Of course, how many guys are there like that at that weight?
    Last edited by OumaFan; 05-01-2011 at 05:21 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aldo's stamina looked awful tonight. I was actually impressed by him through four rounds simply because he won the first four rounds against a good striker while gassed but seriously, he was gassed starting the second round. I didn't see all his WEC fights but I never noticed his cardio looking that shitty before.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not sure how many more of these Couture moments I can witness...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gave Hominick the 2nd and the 5th round. The way judges score take downs has to be addressed. Hominick boxed his ears off for most of the round, Aldo took him down twice, never gaining a dominant position and being completely neutralized. You shouldn't get points for getting a take down and doing nothing with it unless its a Rampage style slam. I briefly considered giving Hominick a 10-8 for the 5th which on my card would have made a draw, but he just didn't do enough damage

I picked Couture for old time sake but I kinda felt that Lyoto's striking style would be his cryptonite. Who knew having Segal in your corner assured you a front kick KO.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched the couture and St Pierre fights and have to say I wasnt very impressed with what I saw of GSP given how he is hyped. He telegraphs his work, like those apinning kicks and the over hand rights. His opponent looked tired very early, it was sloppy rubbish really. The Machida kick was good as it would have been very hard to see that coming, rather than GSP thinking hes Jean Claude Van Damme with the theatrical kicks that do nothing.

I saw a clip on Van Damme at some expo and he is explaining to people that in boxing you have the jab and straight right hand and that the big looping punches rairly land so why not use straight kicks from your front leg like a jab. Thats exactly what
    Machida did.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GSP is a great athlete and always comes in top shape but I have decided the thing that makes him so hard to beat and so not fun to watch is his tremendous ability to take away whatever his opponent wants to do. It creates largely one sided fights that just aren't that exciting. Shields didn't help much last night. He even said as much in his post fight interview. He had to know he was going to have to take some risks to get the tie ups and takedowns instead decided he was going to be the next Ali. Ground enthusiasts should have gotten to watch a really top end wrestling/submission fight instead we got a very boring kickboxing match.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
    I gave Hominick the 2nd and the 5th round. The way judges score take downs has to be addressed. Hominick boxed his ears off for most of the round, Aldo took him down twice, never gaining a dominant position and being completely neutralized. You shouldn't get points for getting a take down and doing nothing with it unless its a Rampage style slam. I briefly considered giving Hominick a 10-8 for the 5th which on my card would have made a draw, but he just didn't do enough damage
    I totally agree with this. But I didn't even give it much thought while watching the fight, I just knew they'd score the round for Aldo.

If Aldo can get his stamina worked out, wow. Even gassed he was making Hominick, a good striker, miss a lot just with head movement. And I really liked the fact that both guys threw body shots, totally underutilized strike in MMA. I guess the fear is getting countered? But with those gloves you can just double a guy over with a good left hook to the body. I like that part of Nick Diaz's game too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read he had some injuries leading up to camp and came in heavier than usual which led to a tough weight cut. He definitely didn't have the same pace that he did in the first. Although Hominick had some good moments boxing it was pretty clear who had the heavier hands.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I fully admit that I'm a GSP hater (because he's incredibly boring) but I still think he's a bit overrated. An elite guy obviously but when has he fought a good, technical striker with good takedown defense? Outside of Penn (who arguably beat him once) and was at a serious size/strength disadvantage.

Hardy was taken down at will by Anthony Johnson. Thiago Alves is a good fighter but not an elite guy. Koshchek has power but isn't really a great striker. Fitch is an incredibly boring lay and pray guy. Serra? Seriously? Hughes, great wrestler, but not much of a striker. Shields is limited as a striker.

I'm totally biased cause I dislike him so much (and not extraordinarily knowledgeable as far as MMA goes ) but I just think he'd have problems with a real good striker with good takedown defense. Of course, how many guys are there like that at that weight?
    It's not exactly having great take defense that is needed because GSP times his takedowns so well you just cannot defend half the time. I was far from a GSP fan but after the Hardy fight I respected what he can do a lot more and I don't find his fights boring because most of the time he is so dominant is just great to watch him control on the ground and his transition are great too. I think his stand up is good but its not great because that is not what he is. He is primarily a wrestler/submission wrestler if he just focused on his stand up he could get a lot better. I genuinely believe his eye injury was a big factor in that fight without that we might have seen a finish. GSP is not a guy to make things up.
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Thread Information