Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default My first boxing match

Okay, So here is my first ever boxing match. Once I got the video I watched it probably 20 times. I won, but I see alot of things I would have liked to have done differently and I see alot of things I need to work on more. I don't intend to go into detail as to what those are. I would, however, like to know what some of you think and hear some of your constructive criticism
    Bear in mind that there is no boxing gym or boxing coach where I live. I've learned from people I've met who have gone to gyms in the past before moving out here and I've learned alot from reading, watching videos, etc and then shadow boxing, sparring with the locals, and using my limited recources (i.e. a heavybag, speedbag, maize ball, and mirror on base).
    I've got the green shorts on. The guy I'm fighting, I'm told, was some street scrapper. Unfortunatley for him those skills didn't carry into the ring.

The following is a link that can be used to download the video:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3870106/Vs%2...%2023APR11.avi

Ever use "Drop Box"? It's pretty handy.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: My first boxing match

pretty good for somebody who is virtually self taught...

You've got a fair bit of natural talent.

The main thing I'd point out is that you slap a little and some of your shots are thrown wider than they need to be.

Almost seemed like you didn't want to hurt him at the end!

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have a ton of things wrong with your footwork. You never, ever want to walk in the ring, cross your feet or bring them together. You do this over and over again- once in particular was when he came in and you literally walked backwards. Also, nothing is gained by constantly shifting between southpaw and orthodox; I would suggest deciding which you prefer and getting real good at that.
    You have some problems with pushing your punches, not getting much on them, but I think a lot of that can be traced back to your feet being so squirrelly. Get settled down, get your legs under you and plant your feet. Keep your chin down when you punch.
    If you look under the "Useful Posts" heading, I posted, once upon a time, a number of things like Left hand counters to left hand leads, and so on. I think that reading through those and working on them might help you in working up specific plans of attack, and help tighten up your foot work. You look pretty good, though there is still a lot to work on, and I admire your effort and determination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Almost seemed like you didn't want to hurt him at the end!
    LOL It wasn't so much that I didn't want to hurt him, but just before I stopped we had smacked heads. I was just making sure I didnt split his lip open with my head or something.

I also notice I can throw some wild punches. I think my hooks have the worst tendency to fly out untamed. I've started turning my hand over so that my knuckels are parallel to the ground. Feels like I have alot more control that way. granted, up real close I think I can get more power keeping my knuckles perpindicular to the ground.

greynotsoold,
    -The walking was one of the first things I picked up on when I initially watched the video. It isn't something I believe I have had a habbit of in sparring...but when I spar it tends to be in a 10x10 square (give or take). The ring felt gigantic once I was inside. Infact, even looking at it during weigh-ins I was surprised at how much space we would have.
    -I've had quite a few people compliment my footwork. I try not to let it get to my head. I realize I still have a long way to go. I feel myself doing things I know are wrong and I'm trying to get it under control. I definitley have a habbit of letting my feet get too far apart.
    -I'm not sure which stance I prefer more as of yet. I'm still playing with it. There are things I like about both. I feel its easier to jab an opponent (my height and down) off from southpaw and I like being able to step out to the right away from my opponents right hand. Which reminds me of another thing I would try to change in the above match. I should have made more lateral movement. Alot of the time I was just walking straight in...
    As far as fighting orthodox, I feel it's alot easier for me to get in the inside and stay there for longer against taller opponents. Alot of the people I have sparred are much taller than me. It's not too uncommon for me to spar against someone over six feet tall (I'm 5'10")
    I guess I would have to say that, overall, I do feel more comfortable fighting southpaw.

Please don't think I'm trying to argue with either of you and feel free to argue any of my above statements. I realize that I may very well have no idea what I'm talking about, haha, but I try. And I appreciate your comments.

Thread Information