Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jose Napoles: A summary

There really aren't very many boxing chameleons. What I mean by that is men who are excellent on the attack and in the retreat, can punch with both hands as needed, who can lead or counter, who can win with their hands or their legs; whatever the situation demands. Mantequilla Napoles was one of those men. He was about the same dimensions as Floyd Mayweather. He had a stellar amateur career and turned pro at 19 as a lightweight.

In his 14th fight the 21 year old Napoles beats legendary Cuban journeyman Angel Robinson Garcia and then future contender Bunny Grant. Shortly thereafter the Communists outlaw professional boxing and Napoles defects to Mexico and picked up Angelo Dundee as his trainer. In early 1964 Napoles knocks off his first ranked contender Alfred Urbina with a first round KO which announces Napoles on the scene. He follows that up by stopping Carlos Hernandez who is ranked #2 at 135 will become the undisputed 140 king six months later. Napoles then drills #7 Urbina again and is now the #1 challenger at 140.

But he never gets a title crack at 140. Instead Carlos Hernandez takes the crown from Eddie Perkins.

But Napoles stay busy KOing the #10 140 and then beating ex-champ Perkins. Does THAT get him a title shot? Don't be silly! Then Napoles takes out #2 Adolph Pruitt in three when Pruitt breaks his hand. Then Johnny Santos, ranked #6 lasts only three as well. But in a shocker he stopped on cuts by journeyman LC Morgan and loses his top ranking. He rights that wrong a year later with a KO2. But it is now 1967 and the 26 year old Napoles is 50-4 and cannot get a title crack at 140. So he moves to welter. Now the fates are with him. After beating a series of journeymen in 1969 he gets ranked #1 at 147 and faces undisputed 147 champion, HOFer Curtis Cokes.

In back to back fights Napoles absolutely beat the living hell out of Cokes winning maybe every round and drilling him late twice. Napoles is champion!

Jose was a party animal's party animal and it wasn't rare for Dundee to have to send him money to travel from Mexico City to Miami to train. But it took a long time to show.

Emile Griffith somehow drops to 144 and gets dominated, #2 Ernie Lopez gets knocked down three times and decisioned and then a shocker. Billy Backus stops Napoles on a terrible cut and Napoles loses the crown. Six months later Napoles rights that situation and recaptures the crown.

The second run includes a decision over #1 Hedgemon Lewis, a KO of Euro champ Ralph Charles, another KO win over Adolph Pruitt and an absolute destruction of #5 Ernie Lopez in seven. That beating was so comprehensive, and the end so scary Lopez, a famously tough man, told a close friend he'd never get in the ring with Napoles again.New Euro king and #3 Roger Mentrey gets dominated as does #3 Clyde Gray. Interestingly five of those six fights were held in the other guy's hometwon.

Napoles then goes a bridge too far. He gives up seven pounds and tries to unseat middleweight legend Carlos Monzon. It is a mismatch and is stopped after seven with Jose on his stool.

But Jose, while on the downside at 33 and after 80 pro fights isn't yet done.

Now ranked #2 Hegemon Lewis tries again and is battered in nine. #9 Horatio Saldano only three. #3 Armando Muniz loses a close fight on a technical decision in 12 and so he gets a rematch. On Jose Napoles last great night, at 34 wins a clear decision over Muniz for his 81st win and his 23'rd win over a ranked fighter. He has gone 3-1 against HOFers.

Finally at 35, #3 John Stracey gets off the floor and cuts Napoles badly enough the fight must be stopped. An inglorious end to an ATG career.

For those who don't know him? Here is a short clip of Jose Napoles taking out HOFer Curtis Cokes.

Smooth as butter.

Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jose Napoles: A summary

Good stuff. He's a very slept on little compact fighter. Gave the best of both worlds from the few fights I've seen, close tight puncher with not much wasted movement at all. Cuts just bedeviled him but he avenged all but one loss I believe, his very last fight. Loss to hapless Backus was as flooky as they come and always makes the biggest upset q&a. I didn't look into him until I saw Simon Brown but great talent to look back on.

Thread Information