Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eubank on Timing & Technique

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I believe the distinction Scrap and Greynotsoold are making, is that there is a difference between a high tight guard, and your hands in front of your face.

I'm of the belief that every beginning boxer should start with a high tight guard, work only the basics. Learn them and learn them well. Then begin to develop their style and stance based upon their own personal set of skills and physical attributes.

I agree with them, you can't see as much with a high guard and it's not an ideal position to punch from. It can be utilised in a few sitatuions though, some elements of the peek a boo style being one of them.

It's quite handy for outright beginners, gives them something to learn behind but it is a habit that shouldn't be formed.

I always say to beginners I spar, you'll soon be able to block punches and back pedal around the ring for a round... but if you're not learning how to slip, roll and deflect shots then you're never going to land because the opporunities and positions to punch just aren't going to be there.

That's why I think light spars are good early on, it gives newbies a chance to figure out the timing and angles etc and if they fuck it up... all they get is a love tap and a message that lets them know they moved too soon/late/far/not enough etc

If it's 100% from the get go then they'll just learn what it's like to think "fucking hell" and get punched around the ring... they'll never want to get out from behind the safety of that basic block and guard and actually try things.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quite remarkable that Eubank learned anything then because from what I understand, he was a punching bag from the off..!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had that very issue of being thrown in the deep end when I first started and developed an over emphasis towards defence.
    It took a long time to shake and actually start throwing combos.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    Quite remarkable that Eubank learned anything then because from what I understand, he was a punching bag from the off..!
    I think it says a lot about his mentality/strength of mind. I think once you've got the basics down you need to learn how to fix and box whilst all of that adrenaline is flying about... because it it's a completely different frame of mind.

But for doing it all the time? I don't think you can teach somebody to fight, they either can or they can't. You need to keep sharp with heavier sparring but too much just adds unessacary ware and tear.

Look at James Toney and how he's talking now... that's from sparring as much as he has and the way he does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My opinion on boxing with the hands up comes from a complex of mistakes. First of all way must a beginer learn it this way? Because someone is not explaining him what the proper stance is and the head is sticking out infront! This combined with no understanding of positioning leads to blindly bringing the hands up... And here is the biggest problem. Man can not spar after an 15 mins of instructions! It must be devoted alot of hours of preliminary preparation. The stance, the movements, where am i going, way i am going? The beginer must be able to think a bit on his own and maybe after that he is ready to spar!
    Second misunderstanding is the idea of boxing tall. Normally the one who is on the lower level has leverage advantage. How will you punch someone who is down on your waist level when your hands are up even at the chin?
    And as greynotsoold said it is not biomechanically optimal!

Thread Information