Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
I believe the distinction Scrap and Greynotsoold are making, is that there is a difference between a high tight guard, and your hands in front of your face.

I'm of the belief that every beginning boxer should start with a high tight guard, work only the basics. Learn them and learn them well. Then begin to develop their style and stance based upon their own personal set of skills and physical attributes.

I agree with them, you can't see as much with a high guard and it's not an ideal position to punch from. It can be utilised in a few sitatuions though, some elements of the peek a boo style being one of them.

It's quite handy for outright beginners, gives them something to learn behind but it is a habit that shouldn't be formed.

I always say to beginners I spar, you'll soon be able to block punches and back pedal around the ring for a round... but if you're not learning how to slip, roll and deflect shots then you're never going to land because the opporunities and positions to punch just aren't going to be there.

That's why I think light spars are good early on, it gives newbies a chance to figure out the timing and angles etc and if they fuck it up... all they get is a love tap and a message that lets them know they moved too soon/late/far/not enough etc

If it's 100% from the get go then they'll just learn what it's like to think "fucking hell" and get punched around the ring... they'll never want to get out from behind the safety of that basic block and guard and actually try things.