Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Devon Alexander v Lucas Matthysse - thoughts?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Devon Alexander v Lucas Matthysse - thoughts?

Anyone give Matthysee a good shot at beating Alexander this weekend?

I cant say I know anything about Matthysee but his KO% is very impressive. His fight with Judah - what was the general consensus on that SD loss? Fair enough result or could it totally have gone either way? Is it a fight worth me watching?

I cant say I like Alexander, his style seems way too pitter patter throwing a ton of punches that dont land. I thought Kotelnik beat him and he was thoroughly unconvicing against Bradley for someone being touted as highly as he was. Coming off his first loss could you see this affecting him in this fight?
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Devon Alexander v Lucas Matthysse - thoughts?

I think this is excellent matchmaking by both sides. The Judah fight for Matthysse was VERY close. Lucas has to learn to track down boxers and Devon needs to learn to handle big punchers.

I think this fight elevates one of these guys significantly from where they are and it is the kind of style matchup that could well elevate both guys.

Gonna be fun.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I posted on here a few weeks ago that I think Mattyhsse will beat him. As every one knows, he was probably robbed vs Judah and, against Corley, looked like a fucking beast. Fair enough Chop Chop was waaaay past his best but if Matthysse goes for the body, like he did during that fight, can't see Alexander lasting the fight - and especially how he quit so easily vs Bradley. After this fight, regardless of the result, Matthysse should fight Marcos Maidana.

Matthysse tko 9.
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On paper, great fight to watch.
    With them both taking a "L" recently, should make this a very good fight.
    With Devon's boxing skills, I can see him winning at least 5 or 6 rounds if he comes to fight. Not the Devon that fought Bradley. But I can also see Devon going down at least once if he gets up.

Matthysse vs M&M would be a good fight, but not sure M&M will get past Guerrero.

The 140 division has a lot of talent. It's ashame Bradley is not fighting anyone!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a fight that I'm excited about. I'm curious to see where Lucas and Devon stand.

I have an opinion that is wildly unpopular but it is that Judah is overrated and Matthysse, therefore, is overrated. I like Devon by KO or unanimous UD (I also like Khan by KO or UD). I know that Lucas is a big puncher but that only takes you so far at the elite level. He's a guy whose defining fight is a close loss to Judah although I thought that fight could have gone either way. Other than a win over an old Chop Chop, I don't recognize anyone on his resume. I want to rewatch a little Lucas before the fight with Devon to make sure I still feel the same way, but that is what my gut tells me.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually, I am giving Mathysse a fair chance of getting through via KO around the 8-9th. Alexander is a solid boxer but I could imagine him being surprised with the pressure of and the power of Mathysse and being unaware just a fraction of second too much. I think that it is definitely a good and significative fight for the division.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just watched the Matthysse v Judah fight for the first time and man did I not see the fight everyone else saw (by everyone else I mean the judges and commentators). I had Matthysse winning 10 rounds to 2 plus a knockdown so 118-109, so not even close for me at all. Judah did bugger all work in most of the rounds whereas Matthysse put in good workrate mainly to the body throughout. Maybe I just like Matthysse's style a lot more than Judahs or something, cos it seemed a close fight to most

I can definitely see Matthysse beating Alexander based on that, I wish there were odds out for it in the UK, none as yet.
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    I just watched the Matthysse v Judah fight for the first time and man did I not see the fight everyone else saw (by everyone else I mean the judges and commentators). I had Matthysse winning 10 rounds to 2 plus a knockdown so 118-109, so not even close for me at all. Judah did bugger all work in most of the rounds whereas Matthysse put in good workrate mainly to the body throughout. Maybe I just like Matthysse's style a lot more than Judahs or something, cos it seemed a close fight to most

I can definitely see Matthysse beating Alexander based on that, I wish there were odds out for it in the UK, none as yet.
    If i remember correctly, I think I had Zab winning the first four rounds and having them in the bank but, from the fifth onwards, Matthysse winning every round, except the last, plus a knockdown. It was close but I think had it been anywhere other than NJ, Mattysse would've got the decision.
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is surprisingly good matchup which shows both teams want to take a big step forward to bigger matches rather than just tread water with routine fights. I have never seen Matthysse but on record he looks a big puncher and Devon is a slick boxer, who seemed unable to impose himself on Bradley. No idea who wins but a very good matchup from both teams. Well done and more of this appreciated.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lucas is a beast if devon stops him, the bradley loss will be forgiven. go devon!
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see Matthysse taking Devon. I'm not really too impressed by Alexander at all. He ruined a potential half decent fight with Bradley with his negativity, and he seemed to lack in confidence for a man who was supposed to be a world champion.

As for Matthyse I have been impressed, I do think he lost a very close decision to Judah but he gained more than he lost from that fight and his power has to be seriously respected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't call Alexander a slick boxer at all. I'd call him a clumsy, shoe shining mess. WAR Matthysse.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    lucas is a beast if devon stops him, the bradley loss will be forgiven. go devon!
    What are the odds on this fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    What are the odds on this fight?
    Alexander is a healthy favourite. Only a few books so far out (im in the UK), best odds ive seen for either fighter is 2/5 Alexander and 11/4 Matthysse

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm going with mathyse who isn't all that I don't think, but devon was beat by kotelnik imo and looked second class against bradley, he's not going to like the pressure.

Thread Information