Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favorite Boxing Movies, and why?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Your favorite Boxing Movies, and why?

Somebody Up There Likes Me- Obviously the inspiration for Stallone's Rocky movies with Newman's portrayal having the viewer rooting for Graziano against all the odds.

Raging Bull- De Niro is simply superb as the decline and fall of La motta unfolds.

The Harder They Fall- A not so subtle re telling of the Carnera story with Bogart playing a sympathetic sports writer and an over the top Rod Steiger as the unscrupulous boxing promoter (not much has changed)

Cinderella Man- An unlikely Heavyweight champion emerges during the depression era and beats reigning king Max Baer. Proving the old Japanese proverb to be true "money grows on the tree of persistence" (remember Braddock floored Louis in the 1st round of their fight and Louis was more than wobbly for a while there) He was no fluke.

Twilight Zone Episode (Steel) An unusual TV episode starring Lee Marvin. Boxing has been criminalised in the future and all human involvement has been replaced by fighting robots. Marvin's robot is in need of repair and he doesn't have the cash, so he takes the place of 'Battling Maxo' and enters the ring against a man of steel.

Coming Soon to a theatre near you! The Story Of Pretty Boy Floyd: A prize fighter goes through his career undefeated and retires after fighting bums and has beens, until one morning he gets up out of bed and discovers he has huge balls growing between his legs, he calls his manager and immediately signs on to fight the new champion in a winner takes all match up!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    On the Water front...Gladiator (heavy on the cheese but I liked it)...The Great White Hope (J Earl Jones was top notch)...Play it to the bone...Power of one (solid under the radar flick)...and of course The Twilight Zone: Episode with Lee Marvin going against a machine

Might be Blaspheme, but really never got into the Rocky series save for 3,4
    I thought the Power of One was an awful movie. But that's largely because it is such a sensational, and I mean SENSATIONAL book.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    1. Rocky 1

2. Champion ( Korean Film )

3. Raging Bull
    If that's the Duk Koo Kim molvie that was marvelous.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just rewatched "Raging Bull" tonight with my girlfriend.

It is a powerful, artistic film, but a bit drawn out and boring at times to be honest.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky - finest boxing move ever. Fact.

Imagine how great it would have been if not for the lead character being kinda dumb and shit - which ruined it a bit

Cinderelal Man was good, Price of Glory too (think it was called that)
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I grew out of anime but " Hajime No Ippo " is worth checking out if your a boxing fan that likes anime.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Obviously the Rocky series takes some beating, Cinderella Man is again good, cos based on an actual fighter.

Hurricane was also worth a mention, Denzel Washington playing the role of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Rocky11 Guest

Rocky 1/2/3/4/5/6, why? Because they are the fucking nutts!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Play it to the bone was a pretty good film definitely underrated very funny too.

Lost count of how many times i seen the rocky films 3 is by far my favourite followed by 4. I know most peoples favourite is 4 but for me the training scenes in 3 are better and he is facing a tougher ask than in rocky 4.

Clubber Lang absolutely destroyed Rocky, wasnt just because Mickey was dying. He didn't prepare properly, he had got used to the good easy life, very complacent. Took an absolute beating and was humiliated. For the rematch the levels of fear were immense. He found it hard to get motivated. Was taken well out of his forum.

Ivan Drago was a raw novice although absolutely huge. Physically the hardest opponent that Rocky had to fight but......Drago killed his old opponent and friend and shown no mercy and no remorse, What else did he need to motivate him? training went well and the fight was not for money or glory just revenge.

Mentally the Lang rematch would be mentally tougher so for me makes rocky3 the best out the lot

I saw somebody up there likes me once i enjoyed that, Raging Bull is a good film.

Might watch Cinderella man tonight haven't seen that all the way through yet

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you were a kid in the US during the Cold War its hard not to get pumped with Rocky 4. Cinderalla Man is probably the best film considering acting, directing and plotline but I always enjoy the absurdity and characterizations from DiggsTown.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
    If you were a kid in the US during the Cold War its hard not to get pumped with Rocky 4. Cinderalla Man is probably the best film considering acting, directing and plotline but I always enjoy the absurdity and characterizations from DiggsTown.
    yeah course the political aspect i forget i just think about the boxing side of things

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bcollins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bcollins View Post
    Streets of Gold: Love the part where Wesley Snipes tries to punch Klaus Maria Brandauer - and misses repeatedly. The 'why can't I hit this guy?' look was his best acting outside of Blade 2.

Diggstown: The whole movie.

I like the cheese
    Diggstown is a BAD movie. But I watch it every time it is on TV.
    Same here - and my wife rolls her eyes every time.

Gladiator has to fall in this category, too. Not exactly Brian Dennehy's finest hour, but close!
    Don't hit him on top of his head Brian! Yeah that's another one of those.
    Hell Yeah!

Diggstown was called Midnight Sting over here, it didnt detract from its awesomeness

Its one of those films you always watch if its on TV (not often enough) The fact that you have it on Hard Disk, DVD and probably VHS in the loft makes no difference.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Being a big softie I always have a cry in Million Dollar Baby, and I do love that film, though only after the injury it really is quite painful viewing.

Shouts for Cinderella Man are also well deserved, and Hurricane I always like.

I know it takes some pretty big liberties with the truth, but I also really loved The Fighter, and didn't leave the screen even when I was desperate for a pee cause I didn't want to miss anything. Well worth the wet seat in the cinema.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boxingbantz View Post
    The Champ?

Remember watching it is a kid and sobbing my heart out when he slaps his son.
    same here

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by #1FightFan View Post
    i liked Cinderella man. decent acting, and it was a true story, which makes it even better.
    i had no idea who james braddock was. the dude who played braddocks manager was good in that role. "Jes-Sus Christ!" lol.

raging bull is also a classic. deNiro was badass in this one. as was joe peschi.

rocky 1&2 was good, but his incredibly dumb character kinda ruins it. "Hey adrian, why werent cows allowed to cross the road? because they forgot their horns! yooooooooooo!!!"

what are some other ones?

just watched the fighter not bad. i watched that ward/neary fight live on hbo. good scrap.
    I can't really think of any other top boxing flicks, FightFan, besides the one's you've mentioned.

I'd agree about the Rocky flicks, corny and unbelievable as hell, but still entertaining.

Just from a technical and true story line aspect, Raging Bull is about the best, most well acted boxing flick ever.

Cinderella man was another high quality boxing flick based on a true story, i'd rank it 2nd after Raging Bull, great story line.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 07-02-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Thread Information