Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Amateur Vs Bootleg Fights

When you see interviews with or the biographies of fighters before say 1970 who fought in the amateurs, what you often read about is nothing of the sort. At least given the way we think of amateur fights today.

Today true amateur fights are often/always conducted in some sort of tournament, often conducted (in the US) over a weekend. Fighters who succeed will often fight 3-4 times in that weekend.

But that's not what the older eras "amateur" fights consisted of. Yes there were occasional tournaments like the Golden Gloves, which began in the late 1920's, or in Olympic Trials. But far more often what were conducted were what today are called "smokers." What would happen is promoters who focused on the "amateur" game would arrange a card for a specific location where each fighter would fight once. Now usually these were 3 round fights, judged as pro fights were, no headgear etc. But here's the big distinction. These were literally prizefights. The winner of each fight got some token, a watch, a trophy, a ring which they could immediately sell back to the promoter for $5 or $10. Maybe the equivalent of $50 bucks today. Now the money's not big, but this kind of fighting might be better described as Junior Pro rather than amateur.

At least in Hawaii today, this practice continues. Our gym gets called 3-4 times a year by a wealthy residents who want to put on a show for a social event at their home. Usually there are two what I'd call serious fights. To 20+ year old part time pros I guess you'd call them. These guys have real jobs, but train regularly and they know their job is simply to put on a show. The winner might make $500 and the loser $250 or so. If we are traveling between islands the host pays travel expenses as well. These fights are usually 6-8 rounds. Then we'll arrange 3-4 bootleg fights like I described in the paragraph above. In our case the kids wear headgear and the person hosting the event knows up front we will be very protective of the kids. The host provides cash to the trainers who run the gyms involved (it usually takes at least two gyms to make a good, competitive and safe card) half of which stays with the club for expenses and equipment and the rest of which gets distributed to the winning kids. And man do the kids love it. Obviously these fights don't get reported and the whole thing is illegal because they are unpermitted and because there is usually a pretty active betting seen, even with the kids fights.

Do you folks see "bootleg amateur" or "smokers" where you are?
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amateur Vs Bootleg Fights

Thats very interesting. Sounds like fun to compete in.

I've competed in 3 "smokers" myself, but I did not get paid. We boxed 3, 2 min rounds with headgear and 16 oz gloves. Two of my opponents were pro mma fighters, as the event was at a mma gym.

The gym owner packed the gym with anywhere from 100 to 250 people each time, who had to pay 10-15 bucks each to get in. And the cards I fought on were mostly filled with mma bouts and kick boxing matches, with me being the only boxing match each time. There were roughly 12-20 matches on each card.

People seem to love watching the smokers and it gives the fighters experience fighting guys from other gyms or in some cases guys from our own gyms.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

I've competed in 3 "smokers" myself, but I did not get paid. We boxed 3, 2 min rounds with headgear and 16 oz gloves. Two of my opponents were pro mma fighters, as the event was at a mma gym.

The gym owner packed the gym with anywhere from 100 to 250 people each time, who had to pay 10-15 bucks each to get in. And the cards I fought on were mostly filled with mma bouts and kick boxing matches, with me being the only boxing match each time. There were roughly 12-20 matches on each card.

People seem to love watching the smokers and it gives the fighters experience fighting guys from other gyms or in some cases guys from our own gyms.
    I'm glad to see this still exists. It's a cheap way for fans to get close to the sport and a funw ay for fighters to get experience. The 16oz gloves is different than what I see here.

Ya gotta get some of that dough!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post

I'm glad to see this still exists. It's a cheap way for fans to get close to the sport and a funw ay for fighters to get experience. The 16oz gloves is different than what I see here.

Haha Its a cheap way for the gym owner/promoter to make some cash of us fighting for free.

Yeah its like a competitive open sparring session, very competitive. And theres no weight classes, but they try to match you close to your weight.

First fight I fought a guy who was 185 and I weighed 164.

It was a lot of fun and the only game in town for me to have a fight.

Bastards even charged my trainer though to get in ! haha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha Its a cheap way for the gym owner/promoter to make some cash of us fighting for free.

Yeah its like a competitive open sparring session, very competitive. And theres no weight classes, but they try to match you close to your weight.

[Laughing]

One of my jobs at our public events is to work the door as long as possible. I'm a good sized guy and it helps in dealing with the Hawaiians, Tongans and Samoans who love their fights and don't love paying for the privilege. The "I'm with the fighter" is always the issue!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[Laughing]

One of my jobs at our public events is to work the door as long as possible. I'm a good sized guy and it helps in dealing with the Hawaiians, Tongans and Samoans who love their fights and don't love paying for the privilege. The "I'm with the fighter" is always the issue!
    I'm guessing you would charge my trainer as well sir

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[Laughing]

I'm guessing you would charge my trainer as well sir
    Well I'd TRY

Thread Information