Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pavlik pulls out of Aug 6th Fight!!! WTF. Anybody know?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pavlik pulls out of Aug 6th Fight!!! WTF. Anybody know?

I think people need to put their sentiments in some context really. Addiction ruins so many millions of people, if anyone is going to let it destroy their career why not a dumb hillbilly who beats people up for a living. Dont get me wrong, its sad in the abstract and all.. But Pavlik is someone who is in a much better position to do something about this than most people. He was a good fighter for a while, made some money, just retire and try and clean up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I think people need to put their sentiments in some context really. Addiction ruins so many millions of people, if anyone is going to let it destroy their career why not a dumb hillbilly who beats people up for a living. Dont get me wrong, its sad in the abstract and all.. But Pavlik is someone who is in a much better position to do something about this than most people. He was a good fighter for a while, made some money, just retire and try and clean up.
    Why does it matter if he was a ghetto black dude from Compton or a white hillbilly from Youngstown?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kelly Pavlik Sounds Off: “I’m Tired of Being a Puppet!” - Boxing News

Pavlik is alleging that Top Rank was just trying to cash out on him and he'd rather not fight than let them do that. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he made a couple of points in that article. He was paid $270k to fight his last fight. This fight is for $50k. His fight against Rubio was for $1.5M, and his fight against Bute was allegedly for $1.1M. Is he getting the right amount for a fight against Bute when Bute sells out stadiums of 20k people? Arum says it was 60/40 split, but I don't really believe that if Bute's people offered Kessler $3M (if that's true). Kessler may be a bigger name, and I'm not sure he is, but not $2M bigger. It's a decent read. Your take?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik has every right to get the most money he can in the ring. However I do not think he will get that sort of money from any other opponent that soon. It is a business decision that only he should take, whether we agree with it or not. It is a calculated risk on his part which I hope he is right to turn down.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik might be dumb for not fighting this time round but he will get another chance and with more money. Sorry to bring race into it but hes a fomer middleweight american champion..and hes white! America are not gonna let go of this guy just yet!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Pavlik has every right to get the most money he can in the ring. However I do not think he will get that sort of money from any other opponent that soon. It is a business decision that only he should take, whether we agree with it or not. It is a calculated risk on his part which I hope he is right to turn down.
    i agree with this. remember Kessler turned down Bute's offer too and and decided to fight Steiglitz in Germany.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fair enough if he pulled out of the bute fight because of not enough money. But why leave cunnigham
    And the fans who have paid good earned money to see this fight and cancel it last minute? Its shows a lack of respect of sportsmanship. And how pulling out of a fight due to him not getting enough money against bute enhance his future prospects of earning future potential pay cheques? It doesn't make sense at all. He really must have some troubles or lack of common sense,
    Because we all know pavlik would beat cunnigham. I really don't know where he goes from this.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Why does it matter if he was a ghetto black dude from Compton or a white hillbilly from Youngstown?
    Yep, because people have never used very poorly hidden racial euphemisms about black fighters' issues out of the ring when criticizing them

I have re-thought on this a bit though. Even though I think Pavlik is royally fucking up his career, this article did make me have a bit more time for him. At the end of the day it is HIS career & no one is in that ring but him.

Kelly Pavlik takes control, for better or worse - ESPN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree with this. remember Kessler turned down Bute's offer too and and decided to fight Steiglitz in Germany.
    Way different to do it at the last minute and force Showtime to cancel the whole TV card they had planned for Saturday. The US networks (SHO and HBO) will be very reluctant to deal with him in the future. He looked like crap in his last fight anyway -- he was going to get his ass beat by Bute. And I have no idea who he (or anyone on this thread supporting his decision) thinks he's going to fight for better money than he'd get against Bute. He seems to think he ought to be in line for the Froch/Ward winner, which is a joke (even more so now).

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't mention race in my post, but I was just ranting really. Of course it wouldn't matter. I was just saying that it happens to better people, nothing to cry about here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Way different to do it at the last minute and force Showtime to cancel the whole TV card they had planned for Saturday. The US networks (SHO and HBO) will be very reluctant to deal with him in the future. He looked like crap in his last fight anyway -- he was going to get his ass beat by Bute. And I have no idea who he (or anyone on this thread supporting his decision) thinks he's going to fight for better money than he'd get against Bute. He seems to think he ought to be in line for the Froch/Ward winner, which is a joke (even more so now).
    I agree in that its one thing to back out of hte fight months beforehand, and quite another to do it the week of.

He looked like crap in his first fight at the weight and his first fight in over a year coming out of rehab. I mean if you're going to look like crap, that's when it would happen.

Pavlik wants to take control of his career and there's nothing wrong with that, but it was horribly planned and horribly executed. His manager, not his promoter, should take some heat for this too. I think that's Cameron Dunkin. Maybe Pavlik has really lost it.

Thread Information