Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pavlik pulls out of Aug 6th Fight!!! WTF. Anybody know?

Share/Bookmark
    LouEVIL, Kentucky "birthplace of Cassius Clay"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pavlik pulls out of Aug 6th Fight!!! WTF. Anybody know?

But they don't list a reason at all. WTF. Did Pavlik take the wrong road again regarding drugs and alcohol? Or is the guy he was fighting seem like too much.
    This sucks. At one time, I really liked Pavlik as a fighter and thought he could be something special, what the fuck happened? anybody?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pavlik pulls out of Aug 6th Fight!!! WTF. Anybody know?

Probably alcohol. He had a fight with his brother about 3 weeks ago and cops said he was drinking.

Kelly Pavlik Involved in Fight With Brother Michael, Drinking Reportedly Involved - Bad Left Hook

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, so basically, Bute will have to find a new opponent in a couple of months
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It appears that it was a "business decision." He was apparently unhappy with the amount of money he was getting for the two fight deal for fights with Cunningham and Bute. He was quoted as saying he wasn't fighting a southpaw for peanuts. He was being paid a little over $1M to fight Bute.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    It appears that it was a "business decision." He was apparently unhappy with the amount of money he was getting for the two fight deal for fights with Cunningham and Bute. He was quoted as saying he wasn't fighting a southpaw for peanuts. He was being paid a little over $1M to fight Bute.
    Well if he won't fight Bute for 1 million, i don't see him fighting anymore.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Pavlik must have lost it completely, if I remember right he only made 500 k for his first fight with taylor and well he's in a worse position now perception wise than he was prior to that fight when he was the next big thing. He better come back down to earth and get his act together, but sadly all the signs are pointing in the wrong direction.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He must have lost it because there are so many journeymen out there that would give their souls for what he is refusing. Redemption has a price, it's pride renewed and the chance to go on. One million dollars is not peanuts either as someone pointed out earlier, it's more than 500K he took for Taylor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are like 4 articles up on the ring mag site on this now. Apparently Pavlik heard that Kessler had been offered (and turned down) $3.5M to fight Bute (which, if true, WTF was Kessler thinking??) and once he heard that, he thought he was getting short-changed with a $1.35M guarantee.

Ridiculous all-around. Kessler is a bigger name than Pavlik -- who really doesn't deserve the opportunity to fight Bute in the first place, after losing his last 2 fights against elite fighters and looking terrible in his last outing against a journeyman.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I were Bute? I cancel the Pavlik fight RIGHT NOW!

Pavlik is far too unreliable to count on.

I'd call Glen Johnson and ask him if he'd like that date.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Pavlik already did that. He pulled out of Saturday's fight and the Bute fight. Dude's career is over.

Jack Loew, quoted in this article (http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1...ce-bute-next):

"Well, it is what it is,” Loew said. “He didn't show up for the run yesterday, but then we had a 10-to-2 p.m. workout scheduled for here [in Youngstown] at the Southside Gym. But he called me about 10 minutes before the workout and said, 'I'm not taking the Bute fight, and I'm not fighting on Saturday.’

"He said, 'Why should I fight Bute for $1.1 million if Kessler wouldn't take $3.5 million? And why should I fight Cunningham on Saturday if I'm not taking the Bute fight? So I'm not fighting either one of these guys.' That's the last conversation I had with Kelly.”
    Last edited by shza; 08-02-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    Pavlik already did that. He pulled out of Saturday's fight and the Bute fight. Dude's career is over.

Jack Loew, quoted in this article (Pavlik pulls out of Saturday's fight over offer to face Bute next | RingTV

"Well, it is what it is,” Loew said. “He didn't show up for the run yesterday, but then we had a 10-to-2 p.m. workout scheduled for here [in Youngstown] at the Southside Gym. But he called me about 10 minutes before the workout and said, 'I'm not taking the Bute fight, and I'm not fighting on Saturday.’

"He said, 'Why should I fight Bute for $1.1 million if Kessler wouldn't take $3.5 million? And why should I fight Cunningham on Saturday if I'm not taking the Bute fight? So I'm not fighting either one of these guys.' That's the last conversation I had with Kelly.”

Sounds like Pavlik's back on the bottle.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bute would school him anyway, pavliks done , his heads clearly not in the game. His loss, the 168 weight class is debatabley the strongest weight class anyway and I don't see pavlik making an impact on it anyway. He would get beat by froch ward bute and direll IMO.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's amazing just how on the brink of super-stardom he was before the Hopkins fight. I remember there was talk of him taking over from Oscar as the PPV star of America. I'm sure there was talk of a movie. Now he's refusing to fight for a mill & spends his time getting pissed & brawling with family members.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

TBH, after the stories the other week of him drunk and fighting with his brother, I've been rather amazed that nothin had been said and that this weekends fight was rolling on, as with his fight against Bute later in the year. After that story, I would have thought both these fights would have been called off a week or two before now and he'd be in rehab again already. Real shame I think. If this shit is still going on then he needs a reshape of the people that are around him. I'd say it is going to be one hell of an all time great comeback for him to recapture his great days from here on in.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It must be a last minute attempt at trying to get the auction raised in his favor, the guy can have lost it but not that much... I imagine Cameron Dunkin and Arum calling him and being ... well, quite convincing that he's an idiot and that he has tu shut up and work. Either that or he properly trained and just pretends that this little scoffle happened. It's too big, I have difficulties to believe he can have lost grip that much and think he worths more after how he did act.

That or he realizes he needs a loadshit of money to cover up decently the ugly mega tattoos he got all over lately.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information