Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins - Donaire or Rigondeaux?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donaire v. Rigondeaux - who wins at 122?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Donaire v. Rigondeaux - who wins at 122?

I believe that is the fight to make at 122. Maybe some will disagree. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Donaire v. Rigondeaux - who wins at 122?

Good fight.. As far as talents go, Rigo is right up there close to Donaire but he hasn't adjusted his style to the pros.. He still fights to score points and he's not going to beat Nonito with that low workrate..

Donaire wins..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire is a guy who would be tough for Rigondeaux because he so quick himself, and he is taller with the better jab. I think Rigondeaux would have a harder time countering DOnaire than anyone else he has ever fought. That being said, Rigondeaux is much better technically on the defensive end while Donaire which could take away a little of that height. But unless Donaire is overextending, its a tall task for Guillermo.

THey are a rare mix of speed, power, and high ring IQ, it would be a hard fight to pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire wins it.

BUT!

If Rigo is still with Roach, then it would be a different story.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tough fight to pick at this stage, I'd like to see Rigondeaux in with another top guy before I could really determind, but at the moment I'd pick Donaire over the distance
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    Tough fight to pick at this stage, I'd like to see Rigondeaux in with another top guy before I could really determind, but at the moment I'd pick Donaire over the distance
    Any new thoughts about Donaire v. Rigondeaux after watching Rigondeaux against Ramos? Ramos was ranked number three at 122 prior to their fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Any new thoughts about Donaire v. Rigondeaux after watching Rigondeaux against Ramos? Ramos was ranked number three at 122 prior to their fight.
    Ramos was lucky to have that ranking, he earned it in a jab fest against Shimoda, lucky shot and that's all it takes. It was a paper ranking clearly. Furthermore, Ramos applied nothing in the way of resistance as he fought scared and just looked to survive.

I believe that Donaire would actually bring out the best in Rigondeaux and it would be an amazing close fight with Donaire's power being the determining factor down the stretch. So no nothing new for me, same opinion.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to add, if Rigondeaux is supposed to be fast tracked like all the talk about him was, how come he only fought 1 round last year?

Yeah he got his belt this year, but still he should be fighting way more regularly than that if there is any hope to break him of his am habits.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Rigondeaux that fought Cordoba does not get by Donaire. Once Cordoba got up from the body shot in the early rounds, Rigondeaux no longer looked unbeatable. I would like to see the fight though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaire Would Rather Fight Gamboa Than Rigondeaux - Boxing News

Donaires says that he prefers to face Nishioka or even Gamboa than Rigondeaux because he believes Rigondeaux's style lends itself to boring fights. While I thought Ramos had a lot to do with their fight being boring, I see Donaire's point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donaires says that he prefers to face Nishioka or even Gamboa than Rigondeaux because he believes Rigondeaux's style lends itself to boring fights. While I thought Ramos had a lot to do with their fight being boring, I see Donaire's point.
    Donaire-Gamboa is the fight I want to see more than any other below WW.

FWIW, I think Nishioka's style lends itself to boring fights as well, so I don't really see that as a distinguishing factor favoring that fight over a fight with Rigondeaux.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post

FWIW, I think Nishioka's style lends itself to boring fights as well, so I don't really see that as a distinguishing factor favoring that fight over a fight with Rigondeaux.
    Shza,

You've been reserved with regards to complimenting Rigondeaux too soon. Did last Saturday change your opinion at all? Do you think he'd be tough for Donaire?

Also, there are rumors going around that Gamboa will face Rios at 135 thereby destroying any chance of a fight with Donaire materializing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post

Shza,

You've been reserved with regards to complimenting Rigondeaux too soon. Did last Saturday change your opinion at all? Do you think he'd be tough for Donaire?

Also, there are rumors going around that Gamboa will face Rios at 135 thereby destroying any chance of a fight with Donaire materializing.
    I'm with killersheep on the effect of the Ramos fight -- what it proved was that Ramos was pushed along way too fast and is not a championship-level fighter.

But my reservations on Rigondeaux really have to do with me having only seen him fight twice, so it's more about me not really being qualified to make any kind of definitive judgment than me thinking poorly of him.

That said, just based on my (very) limited experience, I think Rigondeaux is obviously top-3 (probably top 2) in a pretty weak 122-lb division -- and would be tough for Donaire. I still think Donaire has more tricks (and more power) though, not to mention a much better workrate, and voted "Donaire by TKO" in the poll.

I'd like to see an eliminator of sorts between Nishioka and Rigondeaux -- quickly, so that we can get on with Donaire getting up to 126 without wasting too much time at this division. (I still view the fight against Vasquez as an utter waste of time and a total mismatch -- ideally, he'd be fighting Nishioka instead, and then Rigondeaux.)

I know about the Gamboa/Rios 135 rumors. I still don't understand that fight for the life of me -- Gamboa is too small for 135 and Rios is too big. And as I've said all along, the main reason I don't like it is because, as you say, it all but scotches a Gamboa/Donaire fight.

(As I pointed out in another thread, Rios's comments on the potential Gamboa fight are more great evidence of his total idiocy -- he says he'd like to take the fight to prove wrong all the haters that have criticized him for beating up on smaller guys. You can't make this stuff up.)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd change my vote from Donaire by decision to KO
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd change my vote from Donaire by decision to KO
    wow bold man. I could see how Guillermo is prone to getting caught with a well timed counter..

Thread Information