Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default It's Burns v Katsidis for the vacant 135 WBO Title

I apologise to Ricky and his team this is a ballsy move hats off to him this could be an interesting fight, I think Kats stops him in 7/8 rounds..

Boxing champion Ricky Burns has confirmed that he will relinquish his WBO super-featherweight title to step up for a shot at the vacant lightweight belt.

The Coatbridge boxer will now face Australian Michael Katsidis in a battle for the vacant WBO lightweight title on November 12 at Glasgow’s Kelvin Hall.

Burns was expected to defend his super-featherweight title against American Adrien Broner but the fighter’s manager Alex Morrison has confirmed to STV that he will now face Katisdis instead.

He said: “We have had confirmation through from Frank ******’s people that Ricky will now face Katsidis in November.

“The lightweight title is vacant just now and we are all agreed that this is the best fight for Ricky in the long run.

“As Ricky gets older he is struggling to make the weight for his current division and the next sensible step seemed to be to move up to lightweight.

“I don’t think he will have any problems in this division as he has always been big for a super-featherweight and he is a hard puncher.”

The 28-year-old is said to happy about his first lightweight fight against Katsidis - who is known for wearing a replica Spartan helmet during his pre-fight ring entrance – despite earlier admitting that he was looking forward to facing Broner in Cincinnati.

However, the Rickster can count on some strong home support at the Kelvin Hall which was the setting for his title win against Roman Martinez.

Morrison added: “There are a few things that are subject to change but at the moment we are pleased that Ricky is going back to the Kelvin Hall.”

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burns management will get cold feet again and say Burns can't make weight...lol

job biscuit (burns nite...luv it)!!!

eh eh!!!
    Last edited by Otley; 09-13-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: It's Burns v Katsidis for the vacant 135 WBO Title

Agree with Otley, he'll be wanting to move upto 140 next month.

Seriously though, fair play for taking the fight although I think Katsidis stops him within five.
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tough tough debut at lightweight for Burns. He has the tools to do the job though with the height, reach and jab. A close decision for Burns on the cards is my prediction. You wouldn't be one bit surprised if Kats walked right through him though
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Struggling to see how Burns beats Katsidis. He doesn't have the power to fend him off for 12 rounds. No way will Burns last the distance, let along win a decision as J_C has predicted.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burns to be destroyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boxingbantz View Post
    Struggling to see how Burns beats Katsidis. He doesn't have the power to fend him off for 12 rounds. No way will Burns last the distance, let along win a decision as J_C has predicted.
    Everyone said the same when he fought Martinez and Burns did a great job on him. Burns is quite a bit bigger than Katsidis especially with Kat's crouching style, I give him every chance. Its a bit of a pick em but with home advantage I think Burns might nick it. Also i think Katsidis is a bit shop worn now from repeated batterings although no one can deny his heart.
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    Everyone said the same when he fought Martinez and Burns did a great job on him. Burns is quite a bit bigger than Katsidis especially with Kat's crouching style, I give him every chance. Its a bit of a pick em but with home advantage I think Burns might nick it. Also i think Katsidis is a bit shop worn now from repeated batterings although no one can deny his heart.
    I think Burns's career peaked with the Martinez fight and, being honest, he was overrated anyway. Katsidis lost, albeit badly, to JMM and Guerrero. Burns would suffer exactly the same outcome in the those fights. Katsidis also hits hell of a lot harder and faster than Martinez. As soon as Katsidis decides to let his hands go, which will be from the first bell as we all know, Burns is gonna be overwhelmed. Honestly can't see this lasting five rounds, let alone twelve. It is in no way a pick em fight.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, can't believe how easily people are writing Burns off. Katsidis is a big puncher no doubt but Burns is a tidy boxer. It's a big ask keeping someone like Kats off for 12 rounds but i think he has the skills to do it even if it is risky. Katsidis is not the slickest of fighters around and Burns is as fit as they come.

I say it's 50/50 but Burns could be catching Katsidis at just the right time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    I think Burns's career peaked with the Martinez fight and, being honest, he was overrated anyway. Katsidis lost, albeit badly, to JMM and Guerrero. Burns would suffer exactly the same outcome in the those fights. Katsidis also hits hell of a lot harder and faster than Martinez. As soon as Katsidis decides to let his hands go, which will be from the first bell as we all know, Burns is gonna be overwhelmed. Honestly can't see this lasting five rounds, let alone twelve. It is in no way a pick em fight.
    Thats fair enough mate, its your take on it and im not gona disagree. Would it surprise me if Burns suffered a fate like Mitchell? No. But neither would I be surprised if Burns went the distance and boxed well enough to get a decision especially with the home advantage (we already saw what that can do for you in the Mcloskey-Prescott fight).

The way youre talking the bookies will price this up with Katsidis as a massive 1/8 favourite or something and it wont be anything like that price i'm sure. Be interesting to see what the bookies odds are when they are released

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is funny - Morrison added: “There are a few things that are subject to change but at the moment we are pleased that Ricky is going back to the Kelvin Hall.”

Opponent change?

In the past few weeks, consider boxing was in the off season in Britain, Burns was fighting Broner and now Katsidis, Mitchell was fighting Rios, and then Katsidis, and then Rios, the Cleverly-Bellew winner is fighting Hopkins and DeGale is fighting Pavlik.

Usual PR shite... be surprised if one happens.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To beat katsidis u need to b the tavoris cloud type, u can hit and move, Marquez/Guerrero showed the blueprint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A recent Burns interview..

By Tom Gray: Over the last two days Ricky Burns has been on the end of some real scrutiny, fired freely, by armchair fans and media. Many have said the WBO Super Featherweight Champion is purposefully avoiding a dangerous mandatory assignment against US star, Adrien Broner, and that a potential jump to lightweight is merely an escape route.

This reporter met Ricky on Wednesday, prior to a workout, and he was anxious to tell friend and foe, who is on his wish list.

The following is a transcript of the interview in full:

TG: What have you been doing since your victory over Nicky Cook in July?

RB: I took some time out but I’ve been back in the gym for the last few weeks. I sparred with Gavin Rees, who’s due to fight Derry Matthews, and I have also been helping out Paul Appleby, who meets Liam Walsh for the Commonwealth title. I think people are going to see a big improvement in Paul Appleby and I can see him ripping the title away from Walsh.

TG: I understand that your next step is still pending. Last week it looked almost certain that it would be American mandatory, Adrien Broner, and now there is a potential move to lightweight. Why the sudden change?

RB: To this point I’m still a super featherweight. Broner’s team spoke to Frank ******, and then decided to announce a date, without confirming anything with us. I’m still waiting! When I heard Broner was my mandatory I was more than happy to go over to America and fight him; he’s a big name, a great fighter and I need fights like this to get my name out there. Lightweight has been mentioned, by Frank ****** and Alex Morrison, so we need to sit down and discuss our options.

TG: The Broner fight provides a lucrative payday and HBO exposure in the States. You have been craving fights of this magnitude since you won the title last year. You must be desperate for it?

RB: Broner is a great fighter and I have said repeatedly that I would never duck anyone in my career because I want the big fights. When you look at the top ten, these are the guys that I’m meant to be up against. Although I’ve taken some stick for recent title defences, people need to realise, none of them were my choice. Having said that my mandatory is Adrien Broner and that is a fight I am really up for.

TG: Could you make super featherweight and still perform at your best?

RB: Every boxer is the same and that last couple of pounds is really difficult. I make lightweight easy and, if the move were to happen, then I could bulk up a bit and I’d be a lot stronger but for now I am perfectly happy at super featherweight.

TG: Juan Manuel Marquez is WBO lightweight champion, but he is due to fight Manny Pacquiao, all the way up at welterweight. Robert Guerrero is interim champion but he is injured and was heading north to junior welter. Has there been any word on appealing to the WBO to make the lightweight title vacant?

RB: I’m just waiting for now and we are still talking to Broner’s camp at the moment. My team is keeping the options open for me and big fights at lightweight have also been mentioned. Hopefully, over the next few days, this should all be sorted out.

TG: Kevin Mitchell has a high rating with the WBO at lightweight. You apparently sat down with your team on Wednesday. Was his name mentioned?

RB: Kevin Mitchell and Michael Katsidis have been mentioned. They are both big fights and I would be up for either one of them but it depends what title is on the line. If it was for the WBO lightweight title, or even the interim, then I would fight either of these guys.

TG: Ideally Ricky, what do you want to happen? You must have a preference?

RB: My preference is to go over to America and fight Broner. It’s a bigger fight and it gets my name out there. If I go over to the States, do a job on him, then it sets me up for even bigger fights down the road, so what more could I ask for? I’ve always said that I would love to see my name up in lights, in Las Vegas, and that is still an option for me.

TG: Are you able to say to your promotional or managerial team; “make this fight, whatever it takes?”

RB: I’ve been doing that my whole career. I wanted to fight Mzonke Fana because he was ranked number one by Ring Magazine and I want that belt. Whether it was Adrien Broner, or anyone else in the top ten, I would have been pushing to fight any of them. We’ll just need to see what happens in the next few days.

TG: How is your physical conditioning at the moment and what stage are you at in terms of training?

RB: I’m due to fight in November, I believe, which is eight or nine weeks away. I’m ticking over well and today I’m doing eight rounds with Paul Appleby. When I get word on the opponent, then it will be time to get the head down.

TG: Have you any words for your fans that are waiting for the next move?

RB: When the Broner fight was announced and the US was mentioned, my phone rang off the hook, and I would take such a big crowd over there. Let’s see what happens but either way I will be in a big fight.

After interviewing the champion I was approached by trainer, Billy Nelson; “I want Ricky in the lightweight division, and you can quote me on that!” This is the third time “The Admiral” has mentioned a move to lightweight, in conversation with this reporter, since December of last year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight could parachute Burns in the mix with the best fighters in the world.

Style wise Burns could give MK lots of problems if he can withstand MK power.

I am going to stick my neck out and say Burns on points or maybe a late stoppage with MK all busted up around the eyes.

Great fight if itt happens.
    Balls

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazing. Thats all I can say when Burns springs to mind. I fully expect him to be blown away in this fight but what a hard fight to move up and take on this man who we all saw destroy Kevin Mitchell. I now feel bad for giving him shit for pulling out of the fight with Broner, this is a harder fight than that though, I just wish more fighters were as willing as Burns to fight the best and risk getting a beating.

Thread Information