Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sergio Martinez vs. Darren Barker Saturday night fight thread

Update to fight thread:

Darren Barker is a Brit fighter with a nice record, ( 23 - 0 (KO 14) but against home grown opposition in the UK, it figures to be an easy night for Sergio, but we shall see. The card should start with Vera vs. Lee @ 10:00 PM EST, tonight here in North America. That means the fights won't be shown (on sky?) until 3:00 or 4:00 AM in the UK/Europe Sunday morning, sorry mates.

October 1
    At Atlantic City, N.J. (HBO): Sergio Martinez vs. Darren Barker, 12 rounds, for Martinez's Ring magazine middleweight title; Brian Vera vs. Andy Lee, rematch, 10 rounds, middleweights.

tonights the night, let's rock and roll.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 10-01-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez vs. Darren Barker Saturday October 1st

I'm looking forward to this fight. Obviously Barker is a huge underdog, but he will have a decent natural size advantage. He's the first natural middleweight Martinez has faced since Pavlik, and I'm not sure how close Pavlik was to his best that night, I think he had slipped quite badly personally.

Barker came back from a year out to beat Domenico Spada in a rather scrappy affair. Spada pushed Zabek pretty hard over two fights though, presumably coming close to beating first time around hence the rematch being made, (not seen the fights personally) and Zabek looked pretty decent against Chavez Jr, and in the eyes of some should have won that fight (I thought Chavez nicked it for the bodywork though)

So I'd say he's probably about as good as Chavez Jr and Zbik, which is current world level at middleweight. I'd give him a good shot to bear Chavez Jr and Sturm so he's a credible opponent for Martinez imo.

That said, he would need an outstanding night, and a lot of luck, to beat Martinez who is clearly considerably better than Chavez and Zabek.

My prediction is he puts in a very game performance, frustrates Martinez and catches him several times but will lose a unanimous decision. I'm thinking Kessler Calzahghe, style competitive. 117-111 116-112 type fight.

I'd be impressed if Martinez got him out of there though, I'm expecting a 12 round fight although Barker will likely get stopped by the referee as soon as he's in trouble, that's always the concern in fights like this, when the challenger, or less favoured guy, is given very few chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Bilbo is slightly higher on Barkers chances than is merited but a lot of what he said is fair enough. Barkers 2 European fights were stern tests for him and he got on his bike quite a lot in both also, wasnt very impressive.

I think Martinez's power is being a little over rated on the back of his last 2 performances but I would still favour the stoppage for this one rather than the distance. However a 12 round show wouldnt surprise me from Barker but I would be surprised if he won any more than a couple of rounds in doing so.

Barker can go the distance if he looks more towards survival in the second half of the fight. If he gives it a real go ala Macklin against Sturm, I see him getting stopped.

Bookies best odds for the method of victory for Martinez are

8/13 Stoppage
    9/4 Points

Presumably Bilbo will be all over that 9/4. My own odds would be more like 5/6 stoppage, 7/4 pts fwiw.

Btw I hope Martinez's next fight is against Macklin, that would be a fantastic fight while it lasted (Macklin would get KO'd at some point)
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    I think Bilbo is slightly higher on Barkers chances than is merited but a lot of what he said is fair enough. Barkers 2 European fights were stern tests for him and he got on his bike quite a lot in both also, wasnt very impressive.

I think Martinez's power is being a little over rated on the back of his last 2 performances but I would still favour the stoppage for this one rather than the distance. However a 12 round show wouldnt surprise me from Barker but I would be surprised if he won any more than a couple of rounds in doing so.

Barker can go the distance if he looks more towards survival in the second half of the fight. If he gives it a real go ala Macklin against Sturm, I see him getting stopped.

Bookies best odds for the method of victory for Martinez are

8/13 Stoppage
    9/4 Points

Presumably Bilbo will be all over that 9/4. My own odds would be more like 5/6 stoppage, 7/4 pts fwiw.

Btw I hope Martinez's next fight is against Macklin, that would be a fantastic fight while it lasted (Macklin would get KO'd at some point)
    I'm not saying that is unlikely, but I think if it comes it will be a soft referee stoppage, a cut that isn't that bad, Barker getting staggered etc.

I'm not expecting Martinez to KO him at all.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andy Lee v. Brian Vera to open up isn't a bad undercard either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez stops him in 9.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I'm looking forward to this fight. Obviously Barker is a huge underdog, but he will have a decent natural size advantage. He's the first natural middleweight Martinez has faced since Pavlik, and I'm not sure how close Pavlik was to his best that night, I think he had slipped quite badly personally.

Barker came back from a year out to beat Domenico Spada in a rather scrappy affair. Spada pushed Zabek pretty hard over two fights though, presumably coming close to beating first time around hence the rematch being made, (not seen the fights personally) and Zabek looked pretty decent against Chavez Jr, and in the eyes of some should have won that fight (I thought Chavez nicked it for the bodywork though)

So I'd say he's probably about as good as Chavez Jr and Zbik, which is current world level at middleweight. I'd give him a good shot to bear Chavez Jr and Sturm so he's a credible opponent for Martinez imo.

That said, he would need an outstanding night, and a lot of luck, to beat Martinez who is clearly considerably better than Chavez and Zabek.

My prediction is he puts in a very game performance, frustrates Martinez and catches him several times but will lose a unanimous decision. I'm thinking Kessler Calzahghe, style competitive. 117-111 116-112 type fight.

I'd be impressed if Martinez got him out of there though, I'm expecting a 12 round fight although Barker will likely get stopped by the referee as soon as he's in trouble, that's always the concern in fights like this, when the challenger, or less favoured guy, is given very few chances.
    Agreed. Unanimous decision for martinez. Barker is fit and is very awkward. I think he will last to the end but will get beaten easily.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    Martinez stops him in 9.
    Agreed! I don't think it'll last longer than that
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez vs. Darren Barker Saturday on HBO

Bumping this thread up..

This might be a decent fight Saturday evening on HBO.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People tend to overlook certain fighters based on resume but there's alot more to it than just level of competition. I judge fighters based on their overall ability/potential more than the resume itself and from what ive seen, Barker is very underrated.. I dont know why people think that he's no match for martinez but i dont agree with that at all...

He's a natural middleweight for one thing.. He has decent skills and good punching power..

IT's not going to be an easy fight for martinez that's for sure.. Id be hella impressed if he scores a KO but im leaning towards a decision...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barker is certainly no mug , this guy is a very good boxer , just not good enough to beat Martinez though ,but will be a cracking fight looking foreward to this .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He will no way stop barker!!
    Barker doesn't march forward and he won't b stupid to walk on to over hand left!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by roberto duran legend View Post
    Barker is certainly no mug , this guy is a very good boxer , just not good enough to beat Martinez though ,but will be a cracking fight looking foreward to this .
    What are recommendations for Barker fights to take a look at prior to the showdown with Martinez on Saturday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez by KO
    He's on a roll right now and IMO no one 160 or below can hang with him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I fully see barker putting up a far better fight than Paul Williams!!
    Never judge a book (barker) by it's cover.
    Also Paul Williams is the most un disciplined fighter in history

Thread Information