Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default No marvin hagler

Sergio Martinez to say he is one of the best pound for pound fighter's no way, i have seen some of the best.and he is no Hagler.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: No marvin hagler

Hagler was the best middleweight ever, IMO, Martinez is not in the same league.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes i go with that.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez is over rated just amongst the boxers around today

IMO he is starting to earn his top 10 lb4lb status

theres no way he has been 3rd for as long as people seem to think
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's hardly a fair comparison though. Besides Hagler was a career middleweight whereas Martinez started out at welterweight. He's obviously not as good a middleweight champ as Hagler but he's still very decent, and it would have been fun to see him against the middleweight Duran.

I'm warming to him. He's a very good fighter imo.

I don't think he's a true top 3 p4p caliber fighter generally, but right now, with most of the top guys of the last 10 years or so retiring or on the decline he is pretty much the third best fighter after Mayweather and Pacquiao imo.

If you discount the Klitschko's as they are heavyweights, he's as dominant a champ in his weight class as it's possible to be right now.

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Martinez and Donaire pretty much deserve their current status as the top 4 now imo, although I do think both Martinez, and especially Donaire, were credited with it too soon.

If B Hop manages to beat Bad Chad in a fortnight however I might well put him back up at 3 as his resume in the sport is exceptional.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is only one Hagler. Martinez is the best at the moment. Hope he gets the big career defining fights like Margarito, Cotto and Floyd.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When we taik about pound for pound fighter's today Martinez is good,but not great, Hagler was just one of the best middleweight's of all time.So this pound for pound rateing of Martinez to me a joke, a good fighter that's all no more.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    When we taik about pound for pound fighter's today Martinez is good,but not great, Hagler was just one of the best middleweight's of all time.So this pound for pound rateing of Martinez to me a joke, a good fighter that's all no more.
    Well nobody is rating Martinez p4p all time He's just one of the top 10 p4p at the moment.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you think he is a top 10pp fighter i dont rate him,people seem to think he is a bit of a superstar.Hagler there's a superstar.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Do you think he is a top 10pp fighter i dont rate him,people seem to think he is a bit of a superstar.Hagler there's a superstar.

....at the moment, top 10 p4p? Yes, without a doubt!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    That's hardly a fair comparison though. Besides Hagler was a career middleweight whereas Martinez started out at welterweight. He's obviously not as good a middleweight champ as Hagler but he's still very decent, and it would have been fun to see him against the middleweight Duran.

I don't think he's a true top 3 p4p caliber fighter generally, but right now, with most of the top guys of the last 10 years or so retiring or on the decline he is pretty much the third best fighter after Mayweather and Pacquiao imo.

If you discount the Klitschko's as they are heavyweights, he's as dominant a champ in his weight class as it's possible to be right now.

Mayweather, Pacquiao, Martinez and Donaire pretty much deserve their current status as the top 4 now imo, although I do think both Martinez, and especially Donaire, were credited with it too soon.

If B Hop manages to beat Bad Chad in a fortnight however I might well put him back up at 3 as his resume in the sport is exceptional.
    Right, not a fair comparison at all, since Sergio hasn't been a Middleweight most of his career.

As for the current P4P rankings, Martinez should be ranked 2nd or 3rd, depending on if you like him better than Donaire. Mayweather, because of his inactivity the last 5 years, should not even be in the P4P rankings, that's an insult to Pugs who fight regularly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Right, not a fair comparison at all, since Sergio hasn't been a Middleweight most of his career.

As for the current P4P rankings, Martinez should be ranked 2nd or 3rd, depending on if you like him better than Donaire. Mayweather, because of his inactivity the last 5 years, should not even be in the P4P rankings, that's an insult to Pugs who fight regularly.
    I sorta agree with you there. Why does a win over Ortiz merit instant #2 p4p status? Ortiz is the same guy that quit against Maidana and drew against Peterson. He was a mega underdog. But, that's a different thread.

Clearly, Martinez is no Marvin Hagler. However, he is the current lineal middleweight champion. My only thing is that beating Barker and Lee or Macklin are good wins but not great. The only way Sergio overtakes Pacquiao or Mayweather in my opinion is if he beats them (which won't happen because they won't fight him), they lose, or he goes up and beats Bute at 166, which I also believe won't happen because Bute won't offer enough $. Cleaning out the division is the next best thing, I guess.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Martinez resume is kinda weak compared to a lot of the fighters in the past. Pavlik a drunk already got his ass handed to him by Hopkins. Then you have Willames he he lost a close fight with then knocked out Willams but through his whole resume his beast win is a peak Willaims which is ok but not really great. He is a good fighter but if wants to go down as great going to have to go up to 168. I do not think he has it in him to go to that weight and win but we while have to see.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Martinez resume is kinda weak compared to a lot of the fighters in the past. Pavlik a drunk already got his ass handed to him by Hopkins. Then you have Willames he he lost a close fight with then knocked out Willams but through his whole resume his beast win is a peak Willaims which is ok but not really great. He is a good fighter but if wants to go down as great going to have to go up to 168. I do not think he has it in him to go to that weight and win but we while have to see.
    Or he goes back down to 154 and beats the best in a division that appears to be pretty deep. Cotto is the biggest money-making fight for him now and a future hall of famer. That's who he should target. I don't think he has the size to be successful at 168 and it's dangerous for an older fighter to go down in weight after putting on the mass to be at 160.

It's all good and dandy to look at things in 20/20 hindsight, but I think you should reconsider a little bit.

Drunk as he may be, who else has Pavlik lost to other than Martinez? Only Hopkins - a future HOF and Hopkins did it 10 pounds north of 160. Pavlik had dominated Jermain Taylor who beat Hopkins. To further put it in perspective, after losing badly to Hopkins, in his next outing, Pavlik stopped a game Rubio, the same Rubio who has been a roll now and is ranked in the top five of every major organization. In addition, Pavlik was a 2-1 favorite going into the fight with Martinez. When he fought Williams, nobody wanted to fight Williams. Williams had just dominated Winkey Wright and had beat up Verno Phillips. He was a massive underdog in that fight. Williams had been coined the "most feared fighter" on the planet. In my eyes, he beat Paul Williams twice.

Lastly, Sergio finishes fights like a champion. This is a fighter who started out as a welterweight and now is knocking legitimate middleweights out the box. He's a two division champion. It's impressive.

Hagler is perhaps the greatest middleweight of all-time. Hopkins had a decade long reign at middleweight. He's not there either. How about a comparison to Jermain Taylor or Kelly Pavlik's reign? He compares well with them.

Lou Dibella said Martinez won't go to Germany after seeing Macklin lose against Sturm in Germany. I believe it may be worth him taking the risk. It's a winnable fight for him and it does the most for his legacy right now although I guess a win over Macklin is comparable.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 10-02-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Based on me watching Barker try and imitate a high guarded european fighter and giving Martinez some problems, I actually think Felix Sturm (or whatever his name is) would give him a really good fight... I could see Felix winning.

I wonder what Bernard Hopkins thinks of him

Thread Information