Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Hopkins vs. Dawson

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hopkins vs. Dawson on HBO PPV Oct 15th (Offical Sat Night chat thread)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hopkins vs. Dawson on HBO PPV Oct 15th (Official Sat Night chat thread)

October 15
    At Los Angeles (HBO PPV): Bernard Hopkins vs. Chad Dawson, 12 rounds, for Hopkins' Ring/WBC light heavyweight title; Antonio DeMarco vs. Jorge Linares, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC lightweight title; Kendall Holt vs. Danny Garcia, 12 rounds, WBC/IBF junior welterweight title eliminator.

First off, this fight figures to be a candidate for "Stinker of the Year" honors, a fight only a boxing purist could love. (I hope i'm wrong) Two minutes of each round will be spent by Hop & Chad posing/staring at each other, with the 46 year old Hopkins initiating most of the action and Dawson trying to counter.

Fortunately for the fans sake, there's 2 good fights on the undercard: Antonio DeMarco vs. Jorge Linares, for the vacant WBC lightweight title, and Kendall Holt vs. Danny Garcia, a WBC/IBF junior welterweight title eliminator.

So it may end up being a good night of boxing, i'll go with Hopkins by SD, if I can stay awake long enough to see it.

Who ya got and why?
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 10-14-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Hopkins vs. Dawson on HBO PPV Oct 15th (Offical Sat Night chat thread)

I have no rationale for this and I'm almost certain to be wrong, but Dawson by SD based on his work rate. Just a hunch I have, but I think Hopkins might look a bit old in this one.

Hopkins should beat him though and he likely will.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Hopkins wins then what does he do next?? Cruiserweight? Tarver?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default re: Hopkins vs. Dawson on HBO PPV Oct 15th (Offical Sat Night chat thread)

It's an interesting fight. To a certain extent, based on styles, I like Dawson because volume and athleticism give Hopkins problems (see Calzaghe fight). Also, Hopkins dodged Dawson a couple of years ago, maybe not a blatant dodge, but he didn't want to fight him. On the other hand, Hopkins has had better recent form and Dawson tends to take naps during fights. I want Dawson to win, but I"m sort of leaning toward Bhop. It's tough. At the end of the day, I can see this fight not being an entertaining fight to watch, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dropanuke View Post
    I would like to see him fight Cloud if he wants to keep going. One thing about Cloud is that he is going to mix.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I have no rationale for this and I'm almost certain to be wrong, but Dawson by SD based on his work rate. Just a hunch I have, but I think Hopkins might look a bit old in this one.

Hopkins should beat him though and he likely will.
    I believe Dawson could get a decision, he's got the physical tools to do it, Chad's main problem will be overcoming the mental aspects of the fight, Hopkins is a master at getting inside his opponents head.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hops should retire after he gets his ass kicked by Dawson. He'd done enough insomnia curing so he should move on.. this fuckin conman.. He aint no throwback fighter like he claims to be..

" Hopkins is not old school. He an old foo "

- James Toney

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Hops should retire after he gets his ass kicked by Dawson. He'd done enough insomnia curing so he should move on.. this fuckin conman.. He aint no throwback fighter like he claims to be..

- James Toney
    Who the fuck is James Toney to talk shit about anyone? He's been a joke for half a decade now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

- James Toney

Who the fuck is James Toney to talk shit about anyone
    ? He's been a joke for half a decade now.
    I believe Toney is jealous, Hopkins is still keeping himself in shape, winning championships and making good money and Toney is a has been.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    It's an interesting fight. To a certain extent, based on styles, I like Dawson because volume and athleticism give Hopkins problems (see Calzaghe fight). Also, Hopkins dodged Dawson a couple of years ago, maybe not a blatant dodge, but he didn't want to fight him. On the other hand, Hopkins has had better recent form and Dawson tends to take naps during fights. I want Dawson to win, but I"m sort of leaning toward Bhop. It's tough. At the end of the day, I can see this fight not being an entertaining fight to watch, unfortunately.
    I figure Hop-Chad will be one of those hard to score snoozers that both Pugs will think they won. Then there will be a rematch, and Hop-Chad III, 4 & 5, and boxing fans will begin committing suicide in droves...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

- James Toney
    Quotes from a former *proven* washed up great who was last seen in a spoon fest with the grand daddy of mma and trying to convince fans the weighing what you did a lifetime ago translates to being relevant once again.

And I love Toney..I do.

Dawson has all the tools, always has. But he is more often lip service in delivery and tends to take long vacations. I bet the farm on Hopkins setting traps all night and having Dawson on a leash leading to a wide win on the cards. Dawson doesn't speak work rate.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney would knock Hopkins out even now at a CW of 190.

I think Dawson wins this by decision. Throwing 1000 punches in a bout is more than enough to nullify Hopkins 20 punches a round. Dawson will outhustle the old man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dropanuke View Post
    If James Toney win, then Toney.
    If Tarver get a chance at a heavyweight title and win(by a gun), then Tarver.

My pick, rematch with Glen Johnson after he defeat Bute!!!

U heard it first from "Ant Live"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say dawson does it, hopkins beats people in thier head before the fight. Dawson seems a little slow iq wise and a lot of b hops mental tricks look to be going right over dawsons head. Outside of the headgames the crap about chad being stronger, faster, etc is true and will be the reason he wins i think.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

- James Toney
    I totally dissagree with you. Hopkins to me is a massive inspiration. He is 46 years old and ranked number one in his devision. Hes ranked number one in his devision for a reason, because he is better than everyone else. He has great counter punching and does not waste any energy, a very clever ringmaster. I think he beat Pascal the first time round as well.
    What can you say about him if he beats Dawson. That will be a win over the two other top fighter in the devision. A great fighter who I would put in the top ten pound for pound boxers.

Thread Information