Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Trivia 3

Now a days the Ring Announcer will announce all the scores of each judge after the bout, this wasn't always the case, when was the 1st time they were ever announced and who were the fighters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Trivia 3

No one!

Hints:

1. It happened in Madison Square Garden in the Mid-1940's

2. The winner had over 150 fights, winning over 135.

3. The winner later became a World Champion.

4. The winner won and then defended his title against the same fighter, then the title was vacant for the next 13 years.

5. The loser had over 135 fights winning over 100.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tippy Larkin - Lulu Costantino.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LobowolfXXX View Post
    Tippy Larkin - Lulu Costantino.
    How 'bout these pugs, Tippy & Lulu, what a pair..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

YES!

The Tippy Larkin-Lulu Costantino lightweight bout at Madison Square Garden, New York, on February 9, 1944, was the first time that the breakdown of the officials' cards were announced over the loudspeaker. Instead of merely announcing "Winner-Larkin," The announcer, George Kobb, gave the breakdown as Judge Joe Agnello, 9-1 for Larkin, Judge Sam Robinson, 8-2 for Larkin, Referee Arthur Susskind (Young Otto), 9-1 for Larkin, winner by unanimous decision-Tippy Larkin."

I first met Tippy Larkin in 1978. They had a article about me in the Bergen Record called "Henry Hascup: He's Quiz Whiz" and when I went to my 2nd Ring 9 meeting, the secretary read it to the membership. When he got done another former boxer by the name of Billy Kilroy said, OK kid, when and who did Tippy Larkin win the World title off of. I said April 29, 1946 against Willie Joyce. He then said, your right, now sit down and say hello to Tippy Larkin.

We became friends since that day. I would take him with me anytime we had a boxing function. He got the name of Larkin from his brother Bobby Larkin, who also fought as a pro and Bobby got it from another ex-boxer, manager, Jack Larkin Amato. Jack took the name of Larkin when in 1928, he went to see his brother Sammy Amato box. The match-maker wanted to know if anyone weighed 147 pounds that wanted to box that night. Jack said I'm 147, and then discovered he was to box his own brother, so he gave the name of Jack Larkin. The name of Tippy was suppose to be his initials, his real name was Tony Pilleteri (TP), But he once told me that he got it because his younger brother couldn't pronounce his name. He tried to say Tony, and it came out TP. I think between the 2 they came up with Tippy.

I once asked Ike Williams, who was the best boxer he ever fought, he he said Tippy Larkin. I said, you knocked him out in 4 rounds, and Ike said, yea but he gave me a boxing lesson until I caught up with him.

I remember bringing Tippy to an affair and I was the MC. One of my duties was to introduce all the boxing people. When I got to him, I told everyone how great he was but one night he showed more then any other. I told them the story of him boxing in Newark against Tommy Cross, who was a very popular boxer from Philly and he brought up a lot of his fans. Back in those days, the boxers use to lay out with there robe on and relax before they came out to box. Tippy did just that and feel asleep. A while later there was a knock of the door and the voice yelled out, Larkin your up. Tippy got up and went to the ring. When he got to the ring the announcer announced the referee Paul Cavaliere, who was another very popular boxing person and the crowd gave him a big hand. Then Tommy Cross was introduced and he was given even a bigger one as most of Philly came down to see him box. Then it was Tippy's turn, when the announcer yelled out his name, Tippy took off his robe and the place went wild. Tippy was very happy and went to the center of the ring and did a little shadow boxing and then went back to his corner to his manager Angelo Pucci and said, Ang, they love me, Angelo said, they should, your giving them a pretty good show. Tippy then looked down and found out that he forgot to put his trunks on.

When he passed away on December 10, 1991, I was asked to give the Eulogy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
    YES!

The Tippy Larkin-Lulu Costantino lightweight bout at Madison Square Garden, New York, on February 9, 1944, was the first time that the breakdown of the officials' cards were announced over the loudspeaker. Instead of merely announcing "Winner-Larkin," The announcer, George Kobb, gave the breakdown as Judge Joe Agnello, 9-1 for Larkin, Judge Sam Robinson, 8-2 for Larkin, Referee Arthur Susskind (Young Otto), 9-1 for Larkin, winner by unanimous decision-Tippy Larkin."

I first met Tippy Larkin in 1978. They had a article about me in the Bergen Record called "Henry Hascup: He's Quiz Whiz" and when I went to my 2nd Ring 9 meeting, the secretary read it to the membership. When he got done another former boxer by the name of Billy Kilroy said, OK kid, when and who did Tippy Larkin win the World title off of. I said April 29, 1946 against Willie Joyce. He then said, your right, now sit down and say hello to Tippy Larkin.

We became friends since that day. I would take him with me anytime we had a boxing function. He got the name of Larkin from his brother Bobby Larkin, who also fought as a pro and Bobby got it from another ex-boxer, manager, Jack Larkin Amato. Jack took the name of Larkin when in 1928, he went to see his brother Sammy Amato box. The match-maker wanted to know if anyone weighed 147 pounds that wanted to box that night. Jack said I'm 147, and then discovered he was to box his own brother, so he gave the name of Jack Larkin. The name of Tippy was suppose to be his initials, his real name was Tony Pilleteri (TP), But he once told me that he got it because his younger brother couldn't pronounce his name. He tried to say Tony, and it came out TP. I think between the 2 they came up with Tippy.

I once asked Ike Williams, who was the best boxer he ever fought, he he said Tippy Larkin. I said, you knocked him out in 4 rounds, and Ike said, yea but he gave me a boxing lesson until I caught up with him.

I remember bringing Tippy to an affair and I was the MC. One of my duties was to introduce all the boxing people. When I got to him, I told everyone how great he was but one night he showed more then any other. I told them the story of him boxing in Newark against Tommy Cross, who was a very popular boxer from Philly and he brought up a lot of his fans. Back in those days, the boxers use to lay out with there robe on and relax before they came out to box. Tippy did just that and feel asleep. A while later there was a knock of the door and the voice yelled out, Larkin your up. Tippy got up and went to the ring. When he got to the ring the announcer announced the referee Paul Cavaliere, who was another very popular boxing person and the crowd gave him a big hand. Then Tommy Cross was introduced and he was given even a bigger one as most of Philly came down to see him box. Then it was Tippy's turn, when the announcer yelled out his name, Tippy took off his robe and the place went wild. Tippy was very happy and went to the center of the ring and did a little shadow boxing and then went back to his corner to his manager Angelo Pucci and said, Ang, they love me, Angelo said, they should, your giving them a pretty good show. Tippy then looked down and found out that he forgot to put his trunks on.

When he passed away on December 10, 1991, I was asked to give the Eulogy.
    Thanks Henry, great read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I once asked Ike Williams, who was the best boxer he ever fought, he he said Tippy Larkin. I said, you knocked him out in 4 rounds.

It's an interesting phenomenon that boxers tend to have the highest praise for the guys they beat (and, conversely, often have less-than-glowing words for the guys who beat them. I think the psychology is, if it's a guy they beat, they praise him highly because if the guy was THAT good, then imagine how good *I* am for beating him; but if it's a guy they lost to, then the psychology of it is that by minimizing the other guy, the implication is that he got lucky, and the boxer talking would probably win a rematch.

Not saying that was what was going on with Williams; just a weird thing I've noticed over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I once asked Ike Williams, who was the best boxer he ever fought, he he said Tippy Larkin. I said, you knocked him out in 4 rounds.

It's an interesting phenomenon that boxers tend to have the highest praise for the guys they beat (and, conversely, often have less-than-glowing words for the guys who beat them. I think the psychology is, if it's a guy they beat, they praise him highly because if the guy was THAT good, then imagine how good *I* am for beating him; but if it's a guy they lost to, then the psychology of it is that by minimizing the other guy, the implication is that he got lucky, and the boxer talking would probably win a rematch.

Not saying that was what was going on with Williams; just a weird thing I've noticed over the years.
    Ike told me that Tippy was the best pure boxer he ever fought. A lot of boxing people that saw Tippy fight said the same thing. He beat Billy Graham at MSG and those who saw it told me that Graham might have won a round or two, in there 10 rounder.

In the last 15 years of his career, he only lost one decision and that was to Jackie Kid Berg, when he injuryed his right hand in the 1st round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the 40's, a boxer had retired and taken up a career as a trainer. Upon his catching one of his fighters out at a bar when he was supposed to be in training, an argument ensued, and his trainer hit him. The trainer then came out of retirement and took a fight against his (then-former) protege, and beat him. Name the fighters.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the 40's, a boxer had retired and taken up a career as a trainer. Upon his catching one of his fighters out at a bar when he was supposed to be in training, an argument ensued, and his trainer hit him. The trainer then came out of retirement and took a fight against his (then-former) protege, and beat him. Name the fighters.
    Wow what a great story, this would be the equivalent of Winky Wright coming out of retirement to beat Chad Dawson.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry; I mistyped the original story. When they got into the argument, the boxer hit the trainer. That was what prompted the trainer to unretire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry; I mistyped the original story. When they got into the argument, the boxer hit the trainer. That was what prompted the trainer to unretire.
    Could it be Joe Barnum and Mario Trigo.

Barnum was Trigo's manager and trainer, and then made a comeback against him in January of 1949, winning a 10 round decision. Two years later, almost to the day, Trigo returned the favor. The circumstances between Barnum and Trigo was the basis of the movie "Killer Instinct."
    Last edited by hhascup; 11-22-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could it be Joe Barnum and Mario Trigo.

Barnum was Trigo's manager and trainer, and then made a comeback against him in January of 1949, winning a 10 round decision. Two years later, almost to the day, Trigo returned the favor. The circumstances between Barnum and Trigo was the basis of the movie "Killer Instinct."

Well done, Sir. Barnum & Trigo it was.

Thread Information