Default Rare Archie Moore/Rocky Marciano interviews

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rare Archie Moore/Rocky Marciano interviews

Good find, both pugs were really humble and respectful to each other in the interviews. This was a really good fight and a big event at the time, Marciano knocked down and hurt early by Moore and then coming back to take Archie out and retain the HW Crown in the later rounds.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Good find, both pugs were really humble and respectful to each other in the interviews. This was a really good fight and a big event at the time, Marciano knocked down and hurt early by Moore and then coming back to take Archie out and retain the HW Crown in the later rounds.
    You said it Mars. What a war.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you bring this up on youtube a related link shows an interview with Ali discussing Rocky and he said that Rock probably could have beat him. This was more than a little surprising coming from him. Anyone actually but especially him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeahn I think thats more to do with the respect Ali had in reality for heavyweight legends (which Rocky undeniably is, even if he is overrated). He was privately at least very respectful towards them. I also suspecthe may have been trying to generate interest in their 'computer fight'? not sure if the dates tally up. I'm pretty sure Ali knows he would have taken Marciano over 15 rounds.

Ali was very respectful towards Joe Louis too, but in public did slur him (why anyone would slur poor Joe in his darkest years is beyond me, such a hero who actually would outboxed Ali).

The only 'legend' he was unrepentantly disrespectful to as far as I know was Jack Dempsey, who if we are being honest deserves being taken down a couple of pegs for only fighting half his contenders.- Ali was spot on there.

great video though! Wish they could get converted to colour.
    Last edited by RohanKnight; 10-21-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frasd View Post
    If you bring this up on youtube a related link shows an interview with Ali discussing Rocky and he said that Rock probably could have beat him. This was more than a little surprising coming from him. Anyone actually but especially him.

No doubt Rocky would punish Ali to the body so badly he would be crippled and unable to dance about by the 5th round or so, and Rock would annihilate him, as Ali could not stand his ground and punch with a fighter crouching and sailing missiles into his appendix and spleen like Marciano would do. Just watching Rocky at 46 wailing punches to Ali's midsection on that computer fight, ou can see his power was WAY WAY WAY more than Frazier's, and Ali would have withered under the assault. Nobody can beat Rocky Marciano. Ever. If Marciano ever landed a straight right onto Lennox Lewis' bicep, it would separate from the bone and Lewis would be out.

ICB Guest

Brockton don't be silly i know your Rocky Marciano fan, but unbeatable ? no far from it. And many guys pounded Muhammad Ali's body and it did nothing at all. Rocky Marciano never beat one great Heavyweight in there prime where as Muhammad Ali did and proved himself, Rocky Marciano never looked unbeatable he was knocked down/cut/hurt by former Light Heavyweights.

Guys like Holmes, Ali, would bust up Rocky Marciano so bad. Can you imagine a prime Larry Holmes 6'3 215 pounds, ramming that piston like left jab on 5'10 Rocky Marciano ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still don't see how he would beat Ali but that is just my opinion. Thanks for the post as it led me to watch the others as well including his biography which was an 11 part youtube video which I would not have tuned into if not for your post. Wife and kids gave me a hard time about hogging the camputer for hours so I hit all of them with my own 'Suzie Q'. They are much quieter now.
    I will have to log off now as I hear sirens coming.

Until my release,thanks for the post and if interested and have never seen before here is part one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Just watching Rocky at 46 wailing punches to Ali's midsection on that computer fight,.
    this kind of content just makes your post look like its been posted on hallucinogens.

We are talking about boxing, not Strictly Come Dancing. In fact thats an insult to strictly come dancing!

only way Marciano beats Ali is with a lucky punch in maybe 1 out of 4 fights with him.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hallucinogens. Well thats a polite way of disagreeing, I guess its better than some posters who just call names when they disagree.

Rocky Marciano fighting 6'3" Holmes, well that size disparity is about as fair as Sugar Ray Leonard fighting Michael Spinks.

As for hallucinogens, those days are long, LONG gone.........

Ali said that Marcano was the greatest of all time besides him. Of course he said that after the Thrilla fight about Frazier. But Rocky punched equally well with BOTH hands whereas Frazier was quite limitede, shockingly so at times, to using the left hook alone. You can count the right hands he threw on a few hands at most. In some fights you can count the rights he threw on one hand. Ali wouldnt be given that privilege with Marciano. He would get wailed from every goddamned angle imaginable. Up from the floor, out of a crouch, a missile to the appendix, a cracked rib, it would be too much. Marciano would be too tough for Ali to stand still and really hit consistently. Marciano put more pressure on a fighter than Frazier put. And Frazier was QUITE ENOUGH for Ali to deal with.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Archie was 106 when he fought Rocky and if he gave him a war then Ali would cut Rocky up.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

106-38= 68. you are about 68 years off there mate,

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Archie was also fighting at a foreign weight to what he usually fought at, and he still gave the Rock a hard time.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Archie was also fighting at a foreign weight to what he usually fought at, and he still gave the Rock a hard time.
    even Holmes at 38 yrs old---same as Archie---gave Tyson 4 hard rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hallucinogens. Well thats a polite way of disagreeing, I guess its better than some posters who just call names when they disagree.

Rocky Marciano fighting 6'3" Holmes, well that size disparity is about as fair as Sugar Ray Leonard fighting Michael Spinks.

As for hallucinogens, those days are long, LONG gone.........

Ali said that Marcano was the greatest of all time besides him. Of course he said that after the Thrilla fight about Frazier. But Rocky punched equally well with BOTH hands whereas Frazier was quite limitede, shockingly so at times, to using the left hook alone. You can count the right hands he threw on a few hands at most. In some fights you can count the rights he threw on one hand. Ali wouldnt be given that privilege with Marciano. He would get wailed from every goddamned angle imaginable. Up from the floor, out of a crouch, a missile to the appendix, a cracked rib, it would be too much. Marciano would be too tough for Ali to stand still and really hit consistently. Marciano put more pressure on a fighter than Frazier put. And Frazier was QUITE ENOUGH for Ali to deal with.
    But would Marciano be able to knock Ali out? Its a resounding 'no' surely? He never was knocked out, and spent only 6-7 seconds on the canvas his WHOLE career.

Marciano might knock him over for a fraction of the count as Frazier did since Ali was open to a right hand due to his habit of keeping hands down (Banks, Cooper and Frazier caught him like that). NO way would he keep him down.

But what about the damage Ali does - how would Rocky contend with the drubbing in points that Ali's accuracy would build up? I dont think anyone can answer that - and thats why Ali wins - because Marciano could never knock him out.

I highlighted from your quote 'It would be too much' for Ali - but when was ever ANY assault he received too much for him - Foreman hit harder than Marciano, Frazier hit just as hard, Chuvalo, Quarry and Shavers hit him in just as many places as you described. All the evidence is against you. Even when Ali was old and with Parkinsons he was too tough to knock out.

NOthing personal about the hallucinogens metaphoe, but you were using a faked computer fight to base your argument on, and you'd need strong hallucinogens to believe that was a real fight.
    Last edited by RohanKnight; 10-23-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Thread Information