Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default "El Perro" Angulo vs. James Kirkland - Saturday "Fight Thread"

Real boxing fans, will wanna see this one tonight, it should be a war!

The Card starts on HBO @ 10:15 PM EST tonight, or at 2 or 3 AM Sunday morning across the pond.

November 5
    At Cancun, Mexico (HBO): Alfredo Angulo vs. James Kirkland, 12 rounds, junior middleweights; Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin vs. Craig McEwan, 10 rounds, middleweights.

I'll go with El Perro by 5th round KO.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 11-06-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "El Perro" Angulo vs. James Kirkland - Saturday on HBO BAD

I just don't see how Kirkland's chin will hold up to Angulo. His only hope is to go right at Angulo and try to spark him early.

Bute - Johnson is interesting. Pressure has trouble Bute in the past, and there's no one better at it than Johnson, but I think Bute learned a lot from the Andrade fights and he should come through here.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I just don't see how Kirkland's chin will hold up to Angulo. His only hope is to go right at Angulo and try to spark him early.

Bute - Johnson is interesting. Pressure has trouble Bute in the past, and there's no one better at it than Johnson, but I think Bute learned a lot from the Andrade fights and he should come through here.
    I don't think Kirkland will see it any differently, and he does have a shot of taking Angulo out early imo although I doubt it'll happen, this will basically be a street fight. I know Cintron has real power and managed to hold it together and outbox Angulo, but that fight made me wonder how much confidence Angulo really has in his own ability to take punishment. He never quite threw caution to the wind and went after Cintron once he fell behind, as one might have expected him to given his supposed toughness and Cintrons lack of. Of course Kirkland can't really take anything else from that fight as he can't box for shit, but it's something.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, given that this fight is in no way bigger than it would have been a couple of years ago you've got to wonder whether Kirkland or his people really feel it's a good career move or just want to cash out before he goes back to jail or something

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm excited for this one.

Hard not to pick Angulo, but I'll be rooting for Kirkland to pull it out somehow.

Also, I think Johnson can beat Bute, who doesn't have the best chin.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I'm excited for this one.

Hard not to pick Angulo, but I'll be rooting for Kirkland to pull it out somehow.

Also, I think Johnson can beat Bute, who doesn't have the best chin.
    I wouldn't say Bute has a bad chin, he took some decent shots from Bika who is about on par with Johnson at this stage for power and pressure. It was really fatigue that cost him against Andrade and the rematch counts for a lot.

Apparently Johnson has sparred a bunch with Bute, which points to him having even less of a chance than you'd expect imo. That's not to say Johnson won't give it his all of course, but I do feel he has no problem playing the opponent at this point. Bute's people are pretty careful with him, no reason to fight Johnson if they weren't very confident.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with most of you guys, I can't see Kirkland outlasting Angulo.

Like CFH said if he can tag him early he's got a chance but I just think Angulo will soak up the damage better, whereas I see Kirkland succumbing
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Angulo should handle him in an entertaining fight whilst it lasts. I was so suprised when he lost in the first round I really didn't see that coming at all. He has shown that if someone can stand up to him he is limited. Somebody of angulos quality with the power that he has is going to cause Kirkland a lot of problems. Kirklands only chance is to stop Angulo so that's why this fight won't go the distance and I believe Angulo will stop in the early rounds.

Bute will win a UD against Johnson. Johnson doesn't have the stamina to win a championship level fight anymore and although he will make it competative in the early rounds, Bute's boxing ability will win him rounds and earn the points decision.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

I don't think Kirkland will see it any differently, and he does have a shot of taking Angulo out early imo although I doubt it'll happen, this will basically be a street fight. I know Cintron has real power and managed to hold it together and outbox Angulo, but that fight made me wonder how much confidence Angulo really has in his own ability to take punishment. He never quite threw caution to the wind and went after Cintron once he fell behind, as one might have expected him to given his supposed toughness and Cintrons lack of. Of course Kirkland can't really take anything else from that fight as he can't box for shit, but it's something.
    I seem to remember Cintron buzzing ANgulo a couple of times as well, so maybe Kirkland can get to his chin.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post

I seem to remember Cintron buzzing ANgulo a couple of times as well, so maybe Kirkland can get to his chin.
    Your right, might be a case of who gets there 1st, cause Kirkland can definitely bang!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Like CFH said if he can tag him early he's got a chance but I just think Angulo will soak up the damage better, whereas I see Kirkland succumbing
    I think it depends on which Kirkland shows up, if he fights like he did before he went to prison, he's got a shot at winning. Kirkland at this point, is a bit of a mystery.

As for Johnson, with a few exceptions during his career, it seems like he always comes up just short in championship fights. Like someone said, Bute's issues in the Andres fight, weren't per-say his chin, it was more about stamina, he ran out of gas. The chances of Glenn landing some huge haymaker, and ending the fight are pretty slim as are him winning a decision in Quebec City.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

I think it depends on which Kirkland shows up, if he fights like he did before he went to prison, he's got a shot at winning. Kirkland at this point, is a bit of a mystery.

As for Johnson, with a few exceptions during his career, it seems like he always comes up just short in championship fights. Like someone said, Bute's issues in the Andres fight, weren't per-say his chin, it was more about stamina, he ran out of gas. The chances of Glenn landing some huge haymaker, and ending the fight are pretty slim as are him winning a decision in Quebec City.
    I agree about Kirkland being a mystery at this stage, he was always hitable but he just seemed to walk through everything prior to his visit to the big house. He wasn't even hit by huge shots when he got taken out imo.

Question: whats the better result for the game? A Kirkland revival or Angulo's

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree about Kirkland being a mystery at this stage, he was always hitable but he just seemed to walk through everything prior to his visit to the big house. He wasn't even hit by huge shots when he got taken out imo.

Good question, both pugs have had run-ins with Law Enforcement, Kirklands being more severe, I reckon it just depends on who ya like best. In my case that's Angulo, he's the more colorful of the 2 fighters, got that Dog and collar thing going on.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good question, both pugs have had run-ins with Law Enforcement, Kirklands being more severe, I reckon it just depends on who ya like best. In my case that's Angulo, he's the more colorful of the 2 fighters, got that Dog and collar thing going on.
    You kinky bastard...
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Angulo too, but Kirkland had the better star potential before his stint & 1st rd destruction

Thread Information