Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Authenticy in broadcasting and scoring of boxing matches - example: JMM vs Pac

Share/Bookmark
    Sydney, Australia. Originally from Canada.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Authenticy in broadcasting and scoring of boxing matches - example: JMM vs Pac

After watching (and recording) the live Primetime broadcast of Marquez vs Pac III, I subsequently got a hold of the HBO version. Funnily enough, in the HBO version, many of Marquez's key moments of the fight are distorted by the ref walking in the way, bad angles, etc - a few examples of this in the early-mid rounds. In fact, the HBO version commentators failed to mention many of Marquez's standout moments and praised and massaged every glancing shot and minor victory for Pacquiao.

At the end of the fight, the Primetime commentators seemed to think the decision was a no-brainer (much like everyone in attendance at the MGM Grand) in that Marquez had control of most of the fight. On the HBO version, Emanuel Steward just rambled on about how 'strong Pacquiao looks' (whatever that means - he obviously couldn't talk about an abundance of effective punches). Furthermore, some of the sound-bites of the crowd boo'ing at the end of the fight during Pac's interview seem to be edited in the HBO version, they're much quieter than the live Primetime broadcast (although to be fair, they claimed to be experiencing audio difficulties).

Does this all add up to the corruption in the sport being so ingrained that it is even apparent in the broadcasting, commentary and editing of the fight? We all know boxing is corrupt and dirty in many ways, but might the only way to save the sport (from the dollar) be to get rid of many of the 'old guard' of boxing (people like Dave Moretti, Glenn Trowbridge, Harold Lederman, etc) and the ridiculous number of governing bodies? Is the 'sport' already beyond saving?

I would be very interested to hear what some of you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Authenticy in broadcasting and scoring of boxing matches - example: JMM vs Pac

funny What I saw was the exact opposite. Many of the commintator comments about Marquez came while Pacquiao was landing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Authenticy in broadcasting and scoring of boxing matches - example: JMM vs Pac

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    funny What I saw was the exact opposite. Many of the commintator comments about Marquez came while Pacquiao was landing.
    I know that we live in a cynical time where the author has long been dead and language can relay different interpretations... but really? If this is another Pactard just trying to muddy the waters, well.. at least have the sack to do it on your real account. Even as Marquez was unloading and landing punches on Pacquiao with his fists, the whole team was marveling at Pacquiao's footwork. HBO playing dirty for the Mexican fighter over their Filipino cash cow? ...I highly doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBranMan View Post
    Really? Somebody posted an opposite view as yours and you questioned whether he's a pactard and using a different account. Are you interested in finding out what the other's opinions are or do you just want people here to agree with your version?

You wrote that the HBO version is distorted by the ref walking in the way and bad angles. Do you think it's intentional considering that the broadcast is live? You might be knowledgeable than me with regards to this but how do they edit a live broadcast to favor them when the action is unpredictable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by InTheNeutralCorner View Post
    Really? Somebody posted an opposite view as yours and you questioned whether he's a pactard and using a different account. Are you interested in finding out what the other's opinions are or do you just want people here to agree with your version?

You wrote that the HBO version is distorted by the ref walking in the way and bad angles. Do you think it's intentional considering that the broadcast is live? You might be knowledgeable than me with regards to this but how do they edit a live broadcast to favor them when the action is unpredictable?
    The only reason that I questioned him about being a 'Pactard' is because he posted a one-liner trashing my view with no further justification, oh and he's only got 2 posts on the account: a reasonable assumption. If he had happened to disagree and started to have a serious debate with me (pref on his actual account), I'd never do such a thing.

Hurt feelings aside, you raise a good point about the HBO one being filmed live. Although I do have a background in electronics, I don't know how they film live TV, especially something like boxing where I'd assume they only have a certain number of cameras for all broadcasts. Does HBO generally edit between the live broadcast and a version that they replay? I'm just curious as to why there is such a vast difference between their version and the Primetime one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After watching (and recording) the live Primetime broadcast of Marquez vs Pac III, I subsequently got a hold of the HBO version. Funnily enough, in the HBO version, many of Marquez's key moments of the fight are distorted by the ref walking in the way, bad angles, etc - a few examples of this in the early-mid rounds. In fact, the HBO version commentators failed to mention many of Marquez's standout moments and praised and massaged every glancing shot and minor victory for Pacquiao.

At the end of the fight, the Primetime commentators seemed to think the decision was a no-brainer (much like everyone in attendance at the MGM Grand) in that Marquez had control of most of the fight. On the HBO version, Emanuel Steward just rambled on about how 'strong Pacquiao looks' (whatever that means - he obviously couldn't talk about an abundance of effective punches). Furthermore, some of the sound-bites of the crowd boo'ing at the end of the fight during Pac's interview seem to be edited in the HBO version, they're much quieter than the live Primetime broadcast (although to be fair, they claimed to be experiencing audio difficulties).

Does this all add up to the corruption in the sport being so ingrained that it is even apparent in the broadcasting, commentary and editing of the fight? We all know boxing is corrupt and dirty in many ways, but might the only way to save the sport (from the dollar) be to get rid of many of the 'old guard' of boxing (people like Dave Moretti, Glenn Trowbridge, Harold Lederman, etc) and the ridiculous number of governing bodies? Is the 'sport' already beyond saving?

I have it recorded and This was a non action fight for a Pac/Marquez fight, which is why I think the announcers had so much to say. Jim was jumping at any action to try had hype the dull action. What little Marquez generated as well as Pacquiao needed to be exzaggerated so they often talked over action without giving credit to either fighter landing counters. I have not idea what you are talking about in terms of fight view because I understand there is no other view of the fight other than the recorded HBO cameras. I understood other broadcasts just piggy back the HBO cameras and the only difference is the commentary.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only reason that I questioned him about being a 'Pactard' is because he posted a one-liner trashing my view with no further justification, oh and he's only got 2 posts on the account: a reasonable assumption. If he had happened to disagree and started to have a serious debate with me (pref on his actual account), I'd never do such a thing.

Hurt feelings aside, you raise a good point about the HBO one being filmed live. Although I do have a background in electronics, I don't know how they film live TV, especially something like boxing where I'd assume they only have a certain number of cameras for all broadcasts. Does HBO generally edit between the live broadcast and a version that they replay? I'm just curious as to why there is such a vast difference between their version and the Primetime one.
    The Pacquiao fans who thought he won have had no hesitation in saying so. None of them would use an alternate account to do so and insulting someone who only has a couple of posts for having a reasonable position isn't likely to make him, or any other lurker, post more in the future.

I thought Marquez won, but it was a close fight and I can understand why HBO called things the way they did.

ICB Guest

It was pretty ridiculous, what annoyed me the most was Steward keep going on about how strong Manny Pacquiao looks, when he's not even doing anything. And don't even get me started on Harold Ledderman's scoring.

Didn't he have the 1st fight 115-110 for Manny Pacquiao ? and didn't he have JLC winning by 115-111 vs Floyd Mayweather Jr ? his scoring is very inconsistent.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

honestly man this thread is a bit far fetched

to suggest that everytime marquez landed cleanly the HBO commentators missed it and thats why they scored it for pac
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post

to suggest that everytime marquez landed cleanly the HBO commentators missed it and thats why they scored it for pac
    I wasn't at all suggesting that the HBO commentators missed all of Marquez's offense. As ICB just clarified, I only said that their praising of Pac was above and beyond what was actually happening at the time.. and on the flip-side, they didn't speak up for a few key Marquez moments. That is all. It just begs to question.
    Although maybe you're right - maybe this whole conspiracy web that I've mapped out is a bit far fetched.... how am I going to know without discussion?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't at all suggesting that the HBO commentators missed all of Marquez's offense. As ICB just clarified, I only said that their praising of Pac was above and beyond what was actually happening at the time.. and on the flip-side, they didn't speak up for a few key Marquez moments. That is all. It just begs to question.
    Although maybe you're right - maybe this whole conspiracy web that I've mapped out is a bit far fetched.... how am I going to know without discussion?
    i watched the primetime version and i think it was opposite to what you are describing

pac would land and there would be little comment and marquez would land an equal punch and they would all ejaculate

there is no conspiracy, it was a very close fight, i thought pac won you didnt, and its reasonably evenly split, yes there is probably more for marquez but the split of opinion is a lot closer than the pro marquez mob are making out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Steward in general, but there are times where he fixates on one thing that has nothing to do with what is going on.

He couldn't stop blabbering about how strong Pacquiao looked. It's not about who looks strong, it's about who's landing the clean punches.

I think "he just looks so strong" has replaced "he has a solid amateur background" as Steward's #1 overused phrase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i watched the primetime version and i think it was opposite to what you are describing

pac would land and there would be little comment and marquez would land an equal punch and they would all ejaculate

there is no conspiracy, it was a very close fight, i thought pac won you didnt, and its reasonably evenly split, yes there is probably more for marquez but the split of opinion is a lot closer than the pro marquez mob are making out
    You mean there is really two versions of the fight: HBO and Primetime. Just like fan johnny, I thought there is only the HBO broadcast and the rest just picks up on that broadcast but uses different commentators.

Where did they show the Primetime version?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You mean there is really two versions of the fight: HBO and Primetime. Just like fan johnny, I thought there is only the HBO broadcast and the rest just picks up on that broadcast but uses different commentators.

on Primetime

you could watch the same fight commentated on by 10 different sets of commentators and get different angles on the fight and your opinion will no doubt be influence (not neccessarily swayed) by the commentating you are listening to

its not supprising that such a close fight was seen so differently by 2 different sets of commentators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by InTheNeutralCorner;1028491
    You mean there is really two versions of the fight: HBO and Primetime. Just like fan johnny, [B
    I thought there is only the HBO broadcast and the rest just picks up on that broadcast but uses different commentators. [/B]

on Primetime

you could watch the same fight commentated on by 10 different sets of commentators and get different angles on the fight and your opinion will no doubt be influence (not neccessarily swayed) by the commentating you are listening to

its not supprising that such a close fight was seen so differently by 2 different sets of commentators
    I mean which country? Was that Primetime also shown in the US?

Thread Information