Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 25 years ago yesterday

http://youtu.be/kblp3kYuKRU

25 years ago on the 22/11/86, Mike Tyson became at 20 years of age the youngest ever heavyweight champion of the world.
    Last edited by Beanz; 11-23-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 25 years ago yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post

25 years ago on the 22/11/86, Mike Tyson became at 20 years of age the youngest ever heavyweight champion of the world.
    That was something wasn't it ? I don't see it being repeated any time soon.

Be careful though because some folks on here don't think Tyson was the youngest since it wasn't the lineal championship
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Be careful though because some folks on here don't think Tyson was the youngest since it wasn't the lineal championship
    Whether it was for the lineal championship or not it was an historic occasion. I cant believe it was 25 years ago ! The heavyweight division is definitely a very different place now and a fighter like Tyson would certainly enliven the division. He might have struggled with the Klitschkos he may have destroyed them, he certainly would not have got on his bike against them. The depth and quality of opposition was not quite up to the previous decades Ali-Frazier-Holmes-Norton-Foreman battles but provided a lot of entertaining competitive fights, something the division has not had for a while.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Whether it was for the lineal championship or not it was an historic occasion. I cant believe it was 25 years ago ! The heavyweight division is definitely a very different place now and a fighter like Tyson would certainly enliven the division. He might have struggled with the Klitschkos he may have destroyed them, he certainly would not have got on his bike against them. The depth and quality of opposition was not quite up to the previous decades Ali-Frazier-Holmes-Norton-Foreman battles but provided a lot of entertaining competitive fights, something the division has not had for a while.
    Amazing to think it was 25yrs ago
    I remember watching the fight as a young kid, still at primary school, and was inspired by this little guy beating the shit of someone much taller and bigger! The was this kid - Ian Potter - who was the bully in our year, the next day I went to school after watching the fight I smacked him after he was picking on one of my mates, needless to say he didnt me after that.
    I thank you Iron Mike
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

25 years since tyson beat Trevor Berbick and won the WBC heavyweight title and 15 years 2 weeks since he lost to Holyfield via TKO11.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cannot believe it has been 25 years, I was 15 at the time waiting up 4am for this fight nervous for Mike. I was cutting the articles and putting them in my scrap book. Woke up my dad and sister as the fight was about to start only for them to go back to sleep in 6 minutes!

Berbick had the long black socks and wanted to wear black and was trying a lot of mind games on Tyson. His tactic of standing up to Tyson and trying to push him back went disastrously wrong. It was beautiful watching Tyson throwing those quick combinations to body and head. The final knockout was legendary, “Berbick is tumbling like a child in a play pen” by the legendary Reg Gutteridge.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson was an example of a young athlete who couldn't handle the huge amount of fame & fortune that came his way in his early 20's. Eventually everything came crashing down on him, but while it lasted he was a fuckin' Juggernaut.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Cannot believe it has been 25 years, I was 15 at the time waiting up 4am for this fight nervous for Mike. I was cutting the articles and putting them in my scrap book. Woke up my dad and sister as the fight was about to start only for them to go back to sleep in 6 minutes!

Berbick had the long black socks and wanted to wear black and was trying a lot of mind games on Tyson. His tactic of standing up to Tyson and trying to push him back went disastrously wrong. It was beautiful watching Tyson throwing those quick combinations to body and head. The final knockout was legendary, “Berbick is tumbling like a child in a play pen” by the legendary Reg Gutteridge.
    I was 15 too but it does not seem like 25 years ago. Reg Gutteridge was a Legend with a unique turn of phrase. I have a brilliant book by Reg called "The Big Punchers" and his own pedigree is apparent throughout. Reg Gutteridge comes from a long line of boxers and coaches and his Grandfather Arthur, was the first professional in the ring at the opening of the national Sporting Club at Covent garden in 1891. Reg's grandfather, legend has it, was defeated by Henry Cooper's and maybe this is why there was always great banter between Reg and our 'Enry. Anyway I digress, Mighty Mike, Kid Dynamite whatever you want to call him was a great fighter to watch with so much attitude and genuine menace, the confident air he radiated destroyed many a man before stepping through the ropes. It was a terrible beauty to behold and i am glad i got to see it before like Mars says, it all "came crashing down".
    Last edited by Beanz; 11-25-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crazy tactics by Berbick so people that say that Tyson just needed to be backed up and showed no heart when under pressure should take note, Tyson's boxing skill, speed and accuracy was unbelievable. What a fighter!!!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information