Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: George Chuvalo vs Muhammad Ali = Rocky Marciano vs Muhammad Ali ?

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default George Chuvalo vs Muhammad Ali = Rocky Marciano vs Muhammad Ali ?

Just watching these two fights, George Chuvalo really pushed Muhammad Ali hard. And actually made there 2nd fight quite close, i used to think Muhammad Ali would be too big and would just dance around and outbox Rocky Marciano.

But after seeing how a similar fighter aka George Chuvalo, gave Muhammad Ali such a tough time. I've slightly changed my opinion on the matter, George Chuvalo may of been a bit bigger. But he didn't hit as hard as Rocky Marciano so that even's it up and both men had amazing chins and amazing will.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Chuvalo vs Muhammad Ali = Rocky Marciano vs Muhammad Ali ?

It's a good point. I still say guys like Ali and Holmes outbox Marciano all day, but it wouldn't be a gimme that's for sure.

I know this is blasphemy to some, but I would argue that Chuvalo's power was comparable to Rocky's. Chuvalo had big power, without checking Boxrec I would say his KO ratio was close to Marciano's as well.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuvalo had plenty of power, and IMO his chin was leaps and bounds better than any other HW in the history of the division, so it's not insult to Marciano, as you said he was bigger so he was able to pressure more, IMO Ali was just too fast, too slick, and too big and would bust him up, Marciano also cut and swelled pretty easily also which wouldn't do him any favors

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never thought of it like that. I think Ali still beats Marciano due to the fact that he would be swollen and cut making it very difficult for him to be able to land effectively.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuvalo is similar in stature to Marciano (he was heavier) usually weighing between 210 and 215lbs, he did cut easy and swell around the eyes. He had 64 KO's out of 73 wins. He could hit hard. He lost to Frazier. Ali and Foreman, he was afraid of no one. Actually Chuvalo V Marciano would've been a war!

Thread Information