18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The vid that explains it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    That just proves how harsh the point deductions were. Those pushes were nothing and nothing that hasn't happened in a million other fights. Didn't bother Peterson in the slightest.

When you see fighters blatantly getting away with low blows and headbutts every week, to lose TWO points for pushing is pathetic.

Who can name another fight where someone lost points for pushing?
    The most stupid part of this story is that had it been Peterson in Khan's position with the poont deductions for pushing, both sets of fans on here would completely switch sides.
    Bilbo, there aren't any Khan fans on here.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's funny, this video shows some 50 + "pushes" by Khan, but I really didn't even notice it or give it a second thought until the ref started deducting points. I'd really thought the point deductions were going to be for pushing Peterson's head down and not for pushing him off. I can't recall seeing another major championship fight where 2 points were deducted for "pushing", that was just totally uncalled for.

PS. I'm surprised this dumbass ref didn't DQ Khan after the 2nd point deduction, then there would have really been an uproar.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 12-13-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't know... the ref tells you to stop doing something 25 times over the course of a fight.
    and that thing he tells you to stop doing is illegal and you unfairly benefit from...

why wouldn't points be taken?
    Last edited by ruthless rocco; 12-13-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    i don't know... the ref tell you to stop doing something 25 times over the course of a fight.
    and that thing he tells you to stop doing is illegal and you unfairly benefit from...

Agreed. And the argument that something has not happened before, therefore it should not happen is an illogical argument to make.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was warned plenty of times but I thought if a point was to be taken it would be for pushing Peterson's head down.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

El Kabong Guest

Pushing off is exactly like clinching...I see nothing wrong with what Khan was doing other than that he was too deliberate with it. You have to be subtle about it man. Lennox Lewis pushed people off.

The thing is Lamont wanted to work on the inside and Khan should know other than fighting with him on the inside the best ways to combat it are #1 Pushing off (as he was doing) or #2 Clinching/Tying up......it's really good when you can mix the two. Tie your opponent up, push off before the ref breaks you and that way you CAN punch on the break.

Seems to me that Khan just made some youthful mistakes...he didn't seem terribly weak, I'm very happen for Peterson as he and his brother have really had tough lives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the ref warns him continuously throughout the clips shown.
    can't you hear him say it over and over?
    I heard the Ref, but did Khan hear it? He's fighting, he has the crowd noise to contend with and the concentration of not being hit to deal with. The Ref has noticed the pushing, the video clearly shows the pushing, then the referee should've have called time and officially warned Khan to stop pushing or points will be deducted and the risk of a DQ was on the cards. You just can't keep yelling out while they are fighting? The Ref failed to adequately warn Khan.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't know... the ref tells you to stop doing something 25 times over the course of a fight.

True, just saying, pushing off, although "illegal" is something that normally doesn't get called, so why was the ref even doing it to begin with. Peterson himself said he wasn't bothered by the pushes, what he said bothered him, was having his head pulled down.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

True, just saying, pushing off, although "illegal" is something that normally doesn't get called, so why was the ref even doing it to begin with. Peterson himself said he wasn't bothered by the pushes, what he said bothered him, was having his head pulled down.
    its got nothing to do with what peterson felt bothered by. nor does it have anything to do with how refs handled pushing in other fights.

the ref was clearly heard telling khan to not push. he said it over and over and over.

the real question is why khan felt so comfortable ignoring the ref's orders round after round. even after having a point deducted he continued to push off.

the ref is like a cop. he applies the rules as he sees fit. if a cop tells you to stop breaking the law 25 times. you should probably listen to the cop.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

its got nothing to do with what peterson felt bothered by. nor does it have anything to do with how refs handled pushing in other fights.

the ref was clearly heard telling khan to not push. he said it over and over and over.

the real question is why khan felt so comfortable ignoring the ref's orders round after round. even after having a point deducted he continued to push off.

the ref is like a cop. he applies the rules as he sees fit. if a cop tells you to stop breaking the law 25 times. you should probably listen to the cop.
    Not that I care a hell of a lot, and i'm by no means defending Khan, just saying the whole thing was funky...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    I heard the Ref, but did Khan hear it? He's fighting, he has the crowd noise to contend with and the concentration of not being hit to deal with. The Ref has noticed the pushing, the video clearly shows the pushing, then the referee should've have called time and officially warned Khan to stop pushing or points will be deducted and the risk of a DQ was on the cards. You just can't keep yelling out while they are fighting? The Ref failed to adequately warn Khan.
    Round 6 before the bell sounds "Stop pushing Khan or I'm gonna take a point"

Sorted

If that's not an official warning that Khans pea brain doesn't have time to digest, then he's screwed.

Fenster, the 2 points were ott. 1 point in round 7 was absolutely fine. You do see points taken off for various fouls like pushing. Castillo vs Mayweather springs to mind. Both got a point deducted each. Floyds was for pushing with the forearm. Forget what Castillo's was but similar. That's what point deductions are for.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd lost a point for "elbowing"
    Castillo lost a point for "hitting on the break"

How are those fouls in any way related to "pushing?" Khan's "pushes" wouldn't even be an issue had the points not been deducted. The "pushing" was so insignificant that Peterson actually thought Khan was docked points for pulling his head down. It didn't bother him in the slightest.

Clearly "pushing" is such a minor offence that no-one can even recall previous cases of point deductions.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Round 6 before the bell sounds "Stop pushing Khan or I'm gonna take a point"

Sorted

If that's not an official warning that Khans pea brain doesn't have time to digest, then he's screwed.

Fenster, the 2 points were ott. 1 point in round 7 was absolutely fine. You do see points taken off for various fouls like pushing. Castillo vs Mayweather springs to mind. Both got a point deducted each. Floyds was for pushing with the forearm. Forget what Castillo's was but similar. That's what point deductions are for.
    It's sounds like a grade school teacher telling a 10 year old boy to stop pushing! The only way it was going to sink into Khan's mind or any fighter's mind is to call time during the round and officially warm him. The Ref never officially warned him during the fight, he should've broken Khan's fighting concentration and told him mid round. If this Ref was in the ring when Ali or Foreman were fighting then the fight wouldn't last 2 rounds! 2 points for pushing is harsh, it doesn't excuse Khan's poor performance, but i can think of hundreds of fights where i have seen a lot worse. Peterson was in no distress due to this action what so ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deductions on an extremely close match is tantamount to DQ'ing the penalized party and more than likely assured its beneficiary of a win, in a tightly contested fight,

Logic dictates. Even the slightly off the wall with any competence in reasoning can surely agree to this.

In a basketball analogy... A minute left in a ball game all tied at 104, suddenly the referee calls a technical on a very "weak" infraction. Two points! 104-106. Before long, another violation is called by this ref in the last possession for the now trailing team. Another two points on free throws... score now, 108-104, at this junture, practically it is game over! The "better team" did nothing to decide the outcome of the game, the man with the whistle made sure of that. The victor is the team whom he chose!

Boy! The referee sure showed them, "who's the boss", eh! Maybe he got tired of issuing those incessant warnings during the game! Instant justice! Maybe he's that NBA ref who went to jail for bets on the games.

This is not to state that Lamont Peterson needed this gift from the ref, all's been docked is... granted that the scores are very even, the deductions purposefully represented a guarantee of victory for him. Not that Lamont needed it. He could have very well earned the win without them, but somehow the ref's less than stellar outing robbed Peterson of a "clean" win!
    Last edited by KananKrus; 12-14-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KananKrus View Post
    Deductions on an extremely close match is tantamount to DQ'ing the penalized party and more than likely assured its beneficiary of a win, in a tightly contested fight,

Logic dictates. Even the slightly off the wall with any competence in reasoning can surely agree to this.

In a basketball analogy... A minute left in a ball game all tied at 104, suddenly the referee calls a technical on a very "weak" infraction. Two points! 104-106. Before long, another violation is called by this ref in the last possession for the now trailing team. Another two points on free throws... score now, 108-104, at this junture, practically it is game over! The "better team" did nothing to decide the outcome of the game, the man with the whistle made sure of that. The victor is the team whom he chose!

Boy! The referee sure showed them, "who's the boss", eh! Maybe he got tired of issuing those incessant warnings during the game! Instant justice! Maybe he's that NBA ref who went to jail for bets on the games.

This is not to state that Lamont Peterson needed this gift from the ref, all's been docked is... granted that the scores are very even, the deductions purposefully represented a guarantee of victory for him. Not that Lamont needed it. He could have very well earned the win without them, but somehow the ref's less than stellar outing robbed Peterson of a "clean" win!
    you're taking liberties with the facts by comparing the 7th round of a 12 round fight to the final minute of a basketball game.

but... if the ref had been telling one team to stop doing something illegal over and over again over the course of the game; and that team was gaining advantage by repeatedly doing it; i think it the judge would be acting within reason if he were to penalise the team that has consistently broken the rules.

your point that the ref suddenly penalised khan is ridiculous because the ref had warned him 7 times before deducting the point the second to last time he said "Last time... Stop pushin'." at 1:17 of the 7th round.

what kind of win would khan have had if the ref had simply warned him a few dozen times and not penalised him for any infractions?

Thread Information