Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbery of the year...the fans have spoken.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Robbery of the year...the fans have spoken.

Ring magazine put up a poll asking what the robbery of the year was...and the winner (or loser in this case) is:

Readers vote Pacquiao-Marquez III the "Robbery of the Year" for 2011 | RingTV

Marquez losing to PAcquiao was by far the number one robbery of the year as voted on by the public. Personally I don't think this was the biggest robbery and the fact that it was voted on so heavily just goe to show you that most people that voted on it were at best casual fans.

I really didnt see MArquez winning it to be honest as I think he needed to do more in the close rounds however after watching the "Decoding Marquez VS Pacquiao" video I really had to reconsider. That video really changed my opinion about some of the footwork Manny does that looks exciting but is really quite ineffective in putting him in a better position to attack and showed that Marquest really is a better ring general in their againt Manny.

I still dont think a 4th fight would do anything for either fighter at this point as if Marquez finally got the nod against Pacquiao it really wouldnt change anything except maybe knock Pacquiao to number 3 or 4 pound for pound and obviously take more steam out of Mayweather fight.

Thoughts??
    Last edited by Onix; 12-25-2011 at 03:52 AM.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Robbery of the year...the fans have spoken.

Well I was expecting this to be named robbery of the year since it was such a high profile fight. While I do agree that Marquez won I don't think it was as bad as some others like Helenius VS Chisora. But like I said giving the popularity of the fighters and the event and promo that came with it. I can't argue with that fight being named robbery of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rosinsky-Rodriguez, 120-108 by all 3 judges was the worst judged fight of the year. Khan-Peterson was the worst refereed fight of the year. I am not sure if Mayweather-Ortiz, Hopkins-Dawson or Khan-Judah was the most ridiculous fight of the year.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not surprising at all that got the most votes really.. Id say it's not so much a case of "casual fans" either, just the fact that to even be aware of fights like Helenius-Chisora or Williams-Lara at this point you need to really be a nerd about following boxing. The average fan wouldn't have any reason to follow that kind of fight and it's no reason to detract from their appreciation of the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Ring magazine put up a poll asking what the robbery of the year was...and the winner (or loser in this case) is:

Readers vote Pacquiao-Marquez III the "Robbery of the Year" for 2011 | RingTV

Marquez losing to PAcquiao was by far the number one robbery of the year as voted on by the public. Personally I don't think this was the biggest robbery and the fact that it was voted on so heavily just goe to show you that most people that voted on it were at best casual fans.

I really didnt see MArquez winning it to be honest as I think he needed to do more in the close rounds however after watching the "Decoding Marquez VS Pacquiao" video I really had to reconsider. That video really changed my opinion about some of the footwork Manny does that looks exciting but is really quite ineffective in putting him in a better position to attack and showed that Marquest really is a better ring general in their againt Manny.

I still dont think a 4th fight would do anything for either fighter at this point as if Marquez finally got the nod against Pacquiao it really wouldnt change anything except maybe knock Pacquiao to number 3 or 4 pound for pound and obviously take more steam out of Mayweather fight.

Thoughts??

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty much the only choice. Whoever didn't have Marquez winning has no idea how to judge a fucking fight

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess that just goes to show that apparently most fans don't know shit about boxing - Pac vs JMM III was a close fight, but there's no fucking way it was a robbery.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I guess that just goes to show that apparently most fans don't know shit about boxing - Pac vs JMM III was a close fight, but there's no fucking way it was a robbery.

No, it wasn't a robbery. Having said that, I watched that fight at a friends house with a half dozen guys who don't follow boxing whatsoever and all but one person legitimately felt Marquez had gotten screwed after the decision was announced, more or less. Now that's not to say it was the case, just that it really did appear(to myself included) that Marquez won that fight by a good margin, and it was certainly as high profile as any bout that had gone down for a while. A few other fights were clearly worse decisions, but they didn't mean jack squat for the sport and only true boxing nerds would've seen them. Of course Helenius-Chisora was techinically a worse decision on the cards; but can it in fact be a bigger robbery than an actual prize fight that went the wrong way? I say no.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was the only choice given how high-profile it was. Sure, there were worse out there but who cares really? Its all the same when the wrong man won despite the margin and this was the highest profile robbery out there. 116-112? I cringe just thinking about that scorecard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Pretty much the only choice. Whoever didn't have Marquez winning has no idea how to judge a fucking fight
    By who landed more clean punches? effective aggresiveness? Whoever had Marquez winning drank too much, and let their heart get too much in the way of their mind. It definitely a close competitive fight, but their is no way you can give it to Marquez, he simply didn't do enough, and upon watching it more and more you see Manny actually getting the better of exchanges that looked good for Marquez on the fight night. Manny actually showed the better defense, and blocked a lot more than I saw Marquez get away from.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No chance.

ROBERT HELENIUS VS DEREK CHISORA ... ALL DAY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chisora got robbed again...first in the fight, then in the voting for not recognizing him as victim of the year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first time I saw the fight I thought pacquiao won not by much but I thought he'd won. Then I saw the fight again SOBER because of all the controversy and I had Marquez winning by a wider mergin then what I thought pacman had one by. I honestly gave the closer rounds to marquez just because I felt he landed the cleaner punches and didn't look like an off balance fool most of the rounds. I'll watch it again just to make sure

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

No, it wasn't a robbery. Having said that, I watched that fight at a friends house with a half dozen guys who don't follow boxing whatsoever and all but one person legitimately felt Marquez had gotten screwed after the decision was announced, more or less. Now that's not to say it was the case, just that it really did appear(to myself included) that Marquez won that fight by a good margin, and it was certainly as high profile as any bout that had gone down for a while. A few other fights were clearly worse decisions, but they didn't mean jack squat for the sport and only true boxing nerds would've seen them. Of course Helenius-Chisora was techinically a worse decision on the cards; but can it in fact be a bigger robbery than an actual prize fight that went the wrong way? I say no.
    I can see how many thought Marquez won, (not me) but what I don't get is the robbery/screwed part.

Anyway, this horse has already been beat to death.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, the people voted..

Marquez-pac was the robbery of the year...

Thread Information