Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Have I been too hard on Felix Sturm?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightbulb Have I been too hard on Felix Sturm?

I frequently disparage Felix Sturm for his lack of quality opposition and choosing to only fight in Germany. However, now that I reflect on it, regardless of what you thought of the outcomes, Sturm has faced Macklin and Murray over the last year, both of which I rank in the top ten. The Ronald Hearns fight was a joke, but other than that, he had a decent year in terms of opposition. Like every fan of the middleweight division, I want to see some unification with Gennady Golovkin, Dmitry Pirog, Daniel Geale, and Sergio Martinez, but if not them, Sturm is fighting some of the best alternatives out there. Sturm said he was leaving Universum to face better challenges and to an extent, leaving the Hearns fight out, he has lived up to his word. Sturm's resume this year compares favorably with Pirog's. Frankly, it is much, much better than Pirog's. It also compares favorably with Geale's. Maybe for now, I'll withhold judgment on Sturm until I see what direction he chooses for his April fight.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Have I been too hard on Felix Sturm?

Meh...Sturm let that fight vs De la Hoya go to waste IMO. He was primed for success at that point, same with Pirog after the Jacobs fight....nothing man, just let fame and fortune slip away from them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Meh...Sturm let that fight vs De la Hoya go to waste IMO. He was primed for success at that point, same with Pirog after the Jacobs fight....nothing man, just let fame and fortune slip away from them.
    I agree..that was such an impressive display against De La Hoya. I watched it and thought "Whoa! Who the fuck is this guy with a power punch for a jab!" - I suppose losing to Castilejo afterwards didn't help (Who De La Hoya beat handily before the Sturm fight). But still, to go from a De La Hoya robbery back down to the shit opposition he did wasn't good.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought about this too but to me Sturm is an average European fighter who is NOT willing to make the jump. He's comfortable where he is at until he he either steps out of Germany or steps up in quality he will remain in the shadows of the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Neither Macklin nor Murray were highly rated when he fought them and he was a big favourite with the bookies for both contests, nothing special about those fights opposition wise. Not to mention that he lost them both despite what the cards said. Suffice to say i'm not a Sturm fan. He doesnt come out Germany cos he knows he will lose if he does, the ghosts of the De La Hoya fight scarred him badly.
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just use Sturm as the example of a protected fighter. However, after considering it a bit more, I realized that he actually did face some challenges in 2011. That said, I thought he would have an easier time with Macklin and Murray, his difficulty with them may indicate he is on a downward trajectory or it could be that they are ranked in the top ten because they are quality fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_C View Post
    Neither Macklin nor Murray were highly rated when he fought them and he was a big favourite with the bookies for both contests, nothing special about those fights opposition wise. Not to mention that he lost them both despite what the cards said. Suffice to say i'm not a Sturm fan. He doesnt come out Germany cos he knows he will lose if he does, the ghosts of the De La Hoya fight scarred him badly.

I thought he lost both fights as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I just use Sturm as the example of a protected fighter. However, after considering it a bit more, I realized that he actually did face some challenges in 2011. That said, I thought he would have an easier time with Macklin and Murray, his difficulty with them may indicate he is on a downward trajectory or it could be that they are ranked in the top ten because they are quality fighters.
    likely both; downward trajectory has begun and when that time came he was facing better than his normal competition.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing is the best I have seen him,fight was the Golden Boy, fight
    which I feel he won.? But fighting at home, he is going to be very
    hard to beat, but any German based fighter fighting on home soil
    all most impossible to beat.
    I must have seen Strum fight, about 6or7 time's have I ever been
    impressed, no I cant say I have to say he like green tea good for you yes but
    very bland.?
    Last edited by Dia bando; 12-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.

ICB Guest

Felix Sturm was a very good fighter, he handily beat ODLH. But as other's have said he didn't build on that success, and his career has mostly been very average. But he has some good skill sets, he has a good defense and a ramrod jab.

He has showed heart in both fights Murray, Macklin. I had him one point behind in both fights going into the last round, but fought a great 12th round in both fights almost stopping both Macklin and Murray to earn a well deserved draw in both fights.

Problem with Felix Sturm is that he is clearly more skilled that Murray, Macklin, but he fights too much in spurts. And he is too easy to get outworked, but me personally i've always liked Felix Sturm as a fighter and i hope he rematches either Mackin, Murray, or maybe give another brit a chance Darren Barker.
    Last edited by ICB; 12-29-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barker would handily beat Sturm imo

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No Felix is shite and afraid to fight Murray, outside of Germany he would be a loser.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sturm is a solid fighter in a division that has turned into the new junior welter/junior middle. All of the best fights and fighters are in a division above or below.

Thread Information