Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I have two for you regarding Jack Dempsey's book

I was rereading Dempsey's book today and two things caught my eye.

1. A fighter I work with hurt the bones in the top of his hand last fight (common injury). Dempsey says the reason for this is the strong position of the fist is vertical and proves it with his "wall drill". (put your fist against the wall in front of you with your shoulder and arm in alignment and your arm extended (as at the end of a punch- then push forward with your weight against your top 3 knuckles, then do the same when you rotate your palm down (as in a turned over punch). Dempsey says the vertical position is stronger and you can feel the instability of the palm down position. A punch is a dynamic and the test is static but he seems to have a point.

2. Dempsey believes the ko punch is delivered with a falling step on to the front foot while keeping the weight in balance. You are in a balanced position, you fall forward on to your front foot while delivering the straight 2 to the button, the forward momentum adds to the impact. As opposed to sitting down with a pure shoulder turn (feet planted) or a push off of the rear leg (Dempsey says it's not that). Let's assume a stationary opponent.

I am more interested in your opinions on #1 as I think it's obvious that forward momentum aids the force behind the 2 (#2) and I think Dempsey is talking about how the forward move feels to him but I thought I would mention both.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I have two for you regarding Jack Dempsey's book

Dempsey is a beautiful puncher. For my punching technique, I drew a lot of it from Dempsey.

When I throw my jab, I dip my left shoulder down, and while I come back up, I extend my arm while pivoting and pushing my legs into it so much that sometimes I literally leap into the punch. As a result of that technique, I've got a jab that'll rattle somebodies brain loose.

So, yes. Dempsey is absolutely correct on all counts.

If you can dig up his reference to dropping babies off of rooftops, I'd like to see that. It gave me a real good chuckle while reading it.

I hate babies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kind of a bizarre illustration; the baby.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I have two for you regarding Jack Dempsey's book

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post
    I was rereading Dempsey's book today and two things caught my eye.

1. A fighter I work with hurt the bones in the top of his hand last fight (common injury). Dempsey says the reason for this is the strong position of the fist is vertical and proves it with his "wall drill". (put your fist against the wall in front of you with your shoulder and arm in alignment and your arm extended (as at the end of a punch- then push forward with your weight against your top 3 knuckles, then do the same when you rotate your palm down (as in a turned over punch). Dempsey says the vertical position is stronger and you can feel the instability of the palm down position. A punch is a dynamic and the test is static but he seems to have a point.

2. Dempsey believes the ko punch is delivered with a falling step on to the front foot while keeping the weight in balance. You are in a balanced position, you fall forward on to your front foot while delivering the straight 2 to the button, the forward momentum adds to the impact. As opposed to sitting down with a pure shoulder turn (feet planted) or a push off of the rear leg (Dempsey says it's not that). Let's assume a stationary opponent.

I am more interested in your opinions on #1 as I think it's obvious that forward momentum aids the force behind the 2 (#2) and I think Dempsey is talking about how the forward move feels to him but I thought I would mention both.
    This is an old post that hasn't been answered.up the middle punching.
    Is best or not to punch with a verticle fist or thumbs up?The reason why am asking is that this is used in our gym it's also known as up the middle punching.

Thread Information