Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyson Fury vacates British and Commonwealth titles...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tyson Fury vacates British and Commonwealth titles...

Time will tell if this is a smart move or not. If he ends up getting a world title shot in 2012 this is good business. If he doesnt, you have to question whether he is simply choosing to avoid Price.

What do you guys think? Avoiding Price? Or just a calculated business move?

BBC Sport - Tyson Fury vacates British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tyson Fury vacates British and Commonwealth titles...

definately dodging Price - protecting his record and blaming purse bids etc for failure to make a deal.

a pity, because Fury v Price is a fight that everyone would want to see.

but, saying that, at the end of the day its a business and his management see this as the best way for them to make the most money over the course of Fury's career

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Price is worth £100,000 then what is Fury worth? As the champion, Fury gets the lions share of the purse bid, so the purse bids would have needed to be massive.

Team Fury clearly don't want Price at the moment.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is the least surprising move of the year so far. If I could be bothered I'd look back through my old posts to where I predicted it...

They'd be mad to put Fury in with Price at the moment, especially with Price on the crest of a wave after his big KO, and Fury having been rattled in recent fights.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Richard Towers is fighting for the Euro belt soon, so it's not as if he is vacating it to fight for that either.

I don't know who else there is for him (Fury) to fight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure exactly how it all works but Hennessy probably can't afford to lose the promotion to Maloney. I thoughta bid of 100,000 would have been enough to secure the fight. I won't be too quick to say that Fury is dodging him, I reckon there's more to it than that, just not sure what exactly. Does all seem a bit strange though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is no doubt that Fury doesn't want to face Price now. If he was confident in the outcome of the fight, he would accept it. Maybe we should wait to see who he faces next, but from what it sounds like, it's not like he's got an amazing offer out there for a fight on HBO. I understand letting things marinate while they build their names at the domestic level and this indeed may be too early for their fight. I don't blame Fury really, he hasn't looked great recently, and Price is coming along well. If Fury's to lose, he might as well put it off for a while and make more money in the loss. One thing is certain is that Price wants the fight now and Fury doesn't.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my opinion Fury knows his limits , so he figures he may as well get knocked out at Euro or World level , than Koed at British level.

Fury will pick his fights very carefully from now on , Price will have to chase him.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    In my opinion Fury knows his limits , so he figures he may as well get knocked out at Euro or World level , than Koed at British level.

Fury will pick his fights very carefully from now on , Price will have to chase him.
    I completely agree. He'll wait for that big money fight at world level. To be fair to him, he'd be favored over most at Euro level, right?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's no real way to interpret vacating a title when the toughest opponent so far is the mandatory to mean anything other than avoiding unless there is a tougher/bigger fight awaiting elswhere. Therefore, let's see where Fury goes next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So if I'm reading this right then Maloney turned down £100,000 for Price to face Fury on C5 in the hope that he would get more money or "home advantage" from purse bids.

Do we really think that Fury vs Price would make more than £100,000 for the challenger if it went to purse bids I find this hard to believe.

In my opinion Price needs Fury more than the other way round and if anyone is ducking it's Price. I think he needs more time before facing Fury as I don't think it's the blowout everyone seems to expect. Maloney knows this hence he turned down the fight.

I just can't see how Fury is ducking after he made a good offer to fight him and when it was rejected now wants to move onto world level. Remember he has a win over Chisora who is now fighting for a world title, why not Fury? He has every right to believe he is now above domestic class.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury is taking some stick but like Wallace just said, Maloney doesnt really want the fight.

Would Maloney put Price in with any of Furys last few opponents?

Would Maloney have put Price in with McDermott after only 9 months as a pro? Does knocking out an inactive McDermott mean much? He was fat and is now a journeyman. When he fought Fury he was active, a few years younger and about 20lb lighter!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's what I think as well.

Before all this I thought Fury would take the challenge but I guess I was wrong.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Steward really rates Tyson Fury and so do I, however his head is all over the place and his last fight was his worst performance. He probably is avoiding Price for the time as he is not right for him to take him on now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, look what happened to Gary Mason, it was a dangerous fight and Lennox fucked up Gary's eye basically ending his career.

It's not worth either of them risking that sort of thing for a British title, when both of them could potentially fight for a Euro or world level belt later down the line. As much as I'd love to see it now, I think it would be best if they met later on.

Thread Information